Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The ballad of Thunder Road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

2. one good old movie....love it.....

3. I watch it about once a year myself.

4. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Buddy owns some property around Young Harris.. supposedly, the story was written about some locals up there in between Blairsville Ga and Young Harris.

Shine.. well.. ya gotta crack the corn with lye to get a good yield.. add in some sweet feed ya give to the livestock, once the corn swells and splits you swing the ph back with a acid, the best gets apple cider vinegar, the worst, battery acid.. but.. when it's done right, you take a fruit jar, shake it up, lil bubbles in the 180 proof show for just a second or two around the outside of the jar.. mix it with some spring water.. It takes your breath away, and your sanity.. Last I had, I got from a local for working on a computer.. he gave me two quarts.. I'd get so drunk I'd forget I was drunk and want to go to town and mess with somebody.. anybody..

I was working at Frito Lay corn chip plant, south Georgia.. kept smelling something I remembered from my childhood.. yep.. they ferment the corn to get that flavor.. crack it, then fix it..

Ohh yeah, them cars.. look like crap, run like hell.. I learned to hang the tail out on dirty roads, learned a emergency brake was good for more than parking..
    All real cars are RWD.. you can't hang the tail out with a Honda Civic..

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I can tell the story, I can tell it all, about the mountain boy who ran illegal alcohol....

Nuff said. Good movie, good song. The last good "kleer liker" I had was made by two cooks in the mess hall at Norton AFB, CA in the '70's. They "aged" it in the cold box with the pies and such. And contrary to most opinions it was quite good. I was a medic and used to "con" the nurses to supply some (un-named but habituating decongestant) that the non commissioned officers who cooked the "liker" liked at the time. In order to receive good pies, cakes, and salads for the patients on the ward. I hope that the statute of limitations has run out on that. If not I can neither confirm or deny the previous statement.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

always loved that movie

7. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

Such a cool video!

8. I've never seen this movie but it looks like something that would make a great night.

9. csclassics

csclassics

Yeah man, great film!!

10. I got one of your bumpers well give it back thats like steeling isnt it ! long live Lucus Dolin aka Robert (Mr Kool Mitchim)

11. There may have been some corn likker at teh first HAMBdrags. We withing the personal limits....................I think I know it was smooth?!

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I actually got to see some of the movie being made ...

The part where Lucas Doolin was in the little shoebox Ford and did the bootlegger turn under the overpass ... and a few others.

My Father was a traveling salesperson and he come home from Asheville NC talking about them filming the movie there. I talked him into letting me go back with him the next day and we spent the better part of the day watching them film the movie.

This was in the 50's, in a small NC mountain town and the secuirty was NOT like in is today for a movie. They filmed the same shots 2,3 or even 4 times ... with delays in between each shoot.

Still ... it was pretty exciting for a young boy of 9 or so to see all the ACTION.

13. DR, you never cease to amaze me!

14. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

That stuff goes down as smooth as crisco oil (at least the stuff I sampled) and kicks like a mule 10 minutes later. KABAM!

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"If yud git ridda that plug, Elmo, maybe we'd understand whut ya was tryin' ta say."

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

That movie always reminds me of an old friend that used to have a still and a 40 Ford.
    His stuff tasted EXTREMELY bad...
    When I was working at Boeing, our lab was right next door to the chem lab...I got to know a few of those guys because they were Bonneville racers...
    They had an all glass lab type still set up in one of the rooms...It was supposedly testing some kind of rocket fuel but in reality made the best shine I have ever tasted..It worked great in their race car also.

17. suede57ford

suede57ford

I drive my black factory supercharged Y-block '57 Ford Sedan a couple times a week, its like a scene from Thunder Road every time I get on it!

18. B Blue

B Blue

Don't squat about 'shine or the movie, but I've read its damn near a documentary about moonshining in the '50's. Not the specific events, but the culture.

Bill

19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

speaking on military hooch stories, 29AVEE8, riding submarines you soon learned the torpedo room gang had a commercial sized gallon jar of marischino cherries from the mess hall. The juice had been drained and refilled with 190 proof everclear. The torpedos electronic contacts were cleaned with the everclear thus they had a never ending supply of the stuff up foreward. I remember my first patrol when offered a cherry and after popping it into my mouth the surprise of biting down on that! From then on, a visit to the torpedo room was a regular trip!
    Speaking of real shine though, my Uncle Milt was a timber buyer for Harris Flooring in Johnson City, TN. His job was to inspect and estimate wood lots that the company would buy to cut for hardwood flooring. He would regale us with stories of coming upon a still in a woodlot and being held at gunpoint while his story was being checked out. Many times he would be put to work cutting firewood for the still or other chores. Those stills sometimes used road kill to get the mash to work according to him. And some, the lower spectrum, actually used car radiators to cool the distillate which added lead from the solder to the product. My uncle Hap got some of that shine and suffered temporary blindness for some time from it.

20. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Have watched the Movie ever since I can remember!
    Made me allways want to build a "57 Ford!!!
    Was my older brother Tharpie's favorite movie, grew up in his shop and learned a lot from him.

21. John B

John B

Watched it a few weeks back when we showed it as part of our annual car show at the Judy Drive-In in Mt. Sterling,KY. No matter how cool you think a movie is, it gets cooler when you watch it on a huge screen and the light reflects off of 50's Detroit chrome and curved roof tops.

22. Made me want a '51 Ford back when it was playing every summer at the local drive-in. Maybe thats why I have my '51 today... and an original Thunder Road movie poster hangin in the garage:D. Great movie...if you want a good copy there are bunches on eBay for less than $10.00. I watch mine about two or three times a year:)!

23. cooger

cooger

Thought they made this movie based on Junior Johnson's exploits.
    If not, they ought to make one--he is the real deal.
    cooger

24. its the movie that made me love 57 fords notice the avater.
    he is a real stampeder a real stampeder

25. When I was a young lad of 7 or 8 yrs. in East Tennessee I would sing the Ballad of Thunder Road as my uncle and fellow farmers sat around grading tobacco leaves and sipping moonshine from a Mason jar. They would give me a nickel for the effort. That was the beginning and the end of my professional singing career:)....Don.

26. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

So, Deuce Roadster, tell us ... what color was Lucas Doolin's 57 Ford?

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

28. .....................You do know what "Member Emeritus" means don't you?