Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnum 500 Ford Wheels- Option for what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xppetey66, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Just got some Magnum 500 Ford wheels on a car 14" Silver and Black. Where they a factory option? And what on? Any history? Thanks! :)

2. weren't they on the Hertz Shelby GT350?

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

they were on mustangs, and fairlanes.

4. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

i think torino, also i believe the same fit the dodges and plymouths, charger and road runner.

5. Joel W

Joel W

I believe these wheels were made by the Indy wheel company for Ford and Dodge. On Mopars they were called "Road Wheels".

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Those wheels were also available through the aftermarket and were reasonably popular for a short time after they were introduced.

Frank

7. They came factory on my dads 70 Torino GT.

8. brandon

brandon

didn't kelsey hayes make them....and everybody used a version of them .....change the center caps and rings , change of color or plating. i have a set of chrome 14x6 or 7's off of a gm a body (bop) that i will sell (cheap:eek::D)

9. Silver and black = standard 1966 GT-350. Chrome and black Hertz GT-350. The Fairlanes used these too but they had a different rim shell and offset. Post a pic of the rim shell and the center. That will help tell what they came off of >>>>.

10. These perhaps >>>>.[​IMG]

11. Pretty close. Those were chrome no rings.

Seems like some form of Magnum was on every muscle car made.

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I don't think the Fords used the trim ring ones, some Mopars and I remember AMC using trim rings.

13. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

The 14 inch versions, painted, with trim rings were used up until '79 on Monarch's, Granada's, Cougars, and LTD II's.

Attached Files:

14. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    … The Original Magnum 500 5 lug Wheels became available on a wide verity of Fords; and then later on Mopar’s around 1966 thru the late 1970s. Magnum 500s were even Factory equipment In the American version of the Ford Granada I think into the 1980s. There was a wide verity of Hub Caps and Trim Rings applications during those years.

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The Magnum 500 wheels were introduced in the mid 1960's and they were run on many different cars.

Mopar - Road Runner,Super Bee, Charger,Daytona,Superbird

Ford - Mustang, Torino GT,

Chevy - Chevelle SS

The wheels came in two different styles - chrome plated with black painted sections, or silver painted with black painted sections. Center caps varried from car to car. Mopars used londer caps due to their spindles being pointy and longer.

16. These were made by Kelsey-Hayes for GM, Ford, Chrysler, and AMC, in the chrome version and the painted version with trim ring.

The chrome version was an option for Dodges and Plymouths, beginning in the 1967 model year. In 1968, both the trim-ring wheel and the chrome wheel were available as factory installed, or dealer-installed. The wheel was last used by Chrysler in 1980 on F- and M-body cars. Chrysler NEVER offered a 15" version of this wheel in either style - only 14-inchers.

The Mopar "Road Wheel" is a 15" wheel that looks quite different from the Magnums. Ford and Chrysler both called these Magnum wheels. Below is what the "Road Wheel" from Chrysler looks like, and there are a couple of versions of these, too...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  17. Thank to you all for your responses! I have the silver painted version (with black outs). (14") Came on a Ranchero. And signs of a trim ring is evident.

Nice looking wheel imo.

Now just gotta find some for centre caps!

18. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I have a set of 14" with trim rings on my 75 Maverick. I think they were optional on almost every 5 lug Ford car from the late 60's through the 70s'.

[​IMG]

19. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> … Original Ford Hub Caps bolted on from the inside; look for that type.
    The repo Caps I have used pop on; problem is they fit loosely they rattle and fall off. To tighten them you can bend the tabs over from the inside or install them using non-hardening gasket cement.

… When you look for Trim Rings there are many different widths depending on the offset of the Wheels. Also original equipment Rings were heavy gauge stainless steel and would not bend installing them.

20. On another look they are chrome on the spokes with black rim and black out on the background.
    To these wheel pull apart? As in 2piece? To get the centres re-chromed and paint the rim then reassemble?
    Thinking about not running a trim? To muscle car-ish. If it was anything other than a falcon i guess i would?

21. Deuces

Deuces

Here's one on the ass end of a '69 Dodge Charger 440 R/T.......

Attached Files: