Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is Goodguys in PA. is not catchin' on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yekoms, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemi

hemi

Is there any dignity-losing dust at Watkin's Glen? In the early days of hot rodding there were many,many dirt roads, but I don't want any cars on anything but asphalt. :D

2. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I went sat, it was an ok show I expected so much more but hey it happens. The parking is a mess and I dont understand why, it seems like an easy place to organize. there was one guy selling old parts and it wasnt anything juicy. The one thing I loved was the giveaway boss mustand on the autocross track lifting the fron wheel literealy 2 feet off the ground in the turns. I didnt get the 6' fence, I understand its for saftey but it blocked the view and there no place to really watch comfortably. Rhinbeck on the other hand was great. GG left Carlisle because carlisle is there own company, its like McDonalds having a BurgerKing stand in there store that they dont get paid for......................ONE thing I just dont get is all the people that go to shows and park there old car in the spectators lot, If you dont wanna be judged shut the doors and walk away, and for safety Id want it where its seen.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

More constructive input. Thanks.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Really? I am one of "those" guys and I don't see that at all.

5. hemi

hemi

If you haven't been to a Goodguys show in the last five or six years, it's a whole new world.... if, at the very LEAST.... mainstream hot rodding has absorbed the traditional vibe and you will find a ton of whitewalls and traditionally-inspired cars. They may not be all dialed in, period perfect cars, but the era of splash graphics, fluted tri-fans, and ball milled valve covers is way behind us. Things have changed.

If "those guys" are the only guys you know, and you didn't go because of them, YOU should look into changing your peer group. There was a ton of neat stuff to goon at, and I will say the Northeast always seems to have more custom stuff. Again, it might not be "100%" traditional, but they like their chopped sleds. Every region is different...

6. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

PM me quickly...my ex bro in law is building an '80's Model A roadster street rod and really can use that stuff...he said he wants to "show everyone how to build a really cool street rod." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

R-

8. That tweed shit was itchy anyway............naked especially!~

9. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Kirk, I go and have been going to many GG events and some NSRA events since 1974
    Everyone at those shows try to do the best they can and always ask how they can improve an event.
    Like they say U can't please everyone all the time
    U do a good job trying to do that and I for one appreciate it
    Thanks ,FRANK

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

They had the Wildwood boardwalk show this weekend, a guy I work with has a house down there, and goes down for the weekends. don't know if it's true but he told me they had over 3000 cars at the show, that could have had an effect.More people might of gone there because of more activities for the famlies to do.Another guy I know was at Pocono for the first time try to sell a vickie project,he liked the show but being his first time didn't know the area,and couldn't find any good places to eat, and do any of the tourist type activities with the wife,because he didn't know of or have any suggestions for any resturants,bars,shopping,movies,etc. . Maybe the Goodguys could have a page or two of some tourist type and reasturant suggestions in the Gazette, kind of how the Not Street Rods Anymore have in their street scene magazine for their shows, for newbies and show veterans a new place to try or wanting to try something new or different at a Goodguys show and are not familiar with the areas.....Rich

11. hemi

hemi

It's not just a low car count, the spectators are a huge part of what Goodguys does.. The area surrounding the track is pretty desolate with only a few places to eat and shop within a few mile radius. I don't know where big crowds would come from in that area, or how far those people will drive to see cars.

When we were in GA, I was trying to tell them that once you get too far outside of the 285 loop, spectator-type people don't want to drive. They don't travel very far... I don't know how it is in the Poconos.

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I'm thinking that the GG Pa. date should be cancelled and add a full week to the GG event that follows the PA. dates in Dallas. I always go and it's always great. My only complaint would be that I am to fucking old I can't walk fast enough to see all the cool shit at the Vendors, all of the racing drag racing and the events just can't get to everything so, if it's a full week at DFW Texas Motor Speedway then I can drag my fat ass around for a couple more day's to take it all in...

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

$$$$$$ I hear a lot of guys complaining about how much goodguys charge and they wont go anymore.It's too bad they have some nice rods and customs. Money is tight these days.Also everyone complanes about the $ 18.00 each spectator entry.They all say It costs too much for a whole family.I still go because I like to see as many old rods and customs as possible.I just don't bother looking at the Camaros and Mustangs.

14. The same folks that bitch about $$$$ will spend the same amount or more in a weekend for booze, hookers or diecast toys! Sorry to lump booze in with those two nasty sins! ;)

15. 5window

5window

Again, it is perceived value. $18 plus parking and food would cover the brand of beer I drink (damned elitist!), I never did hookers but suspect one doesn't get much for $50 these days and I haven't bought a diecast car since I was 10 years old. Still if someone pays to go to any show and doesn't feel at the end of the day that it was worth the effort the it doesn't matter if they spent $1 or $100, it ain't worth it.

FWIW, PA posters here don't think GG at Long Pond was worth it. I can't say-I didn't go. It wasn't publicized in my area and, besides, with winter coming and a local cruise in,Hershey and Carlisle all within three weeks, I don't have the time for another show and I'm saving my money for the big boys.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Some of you guys should get a life and get out in the real world with real prices for events. I just paid $50 for a 3 day PEOPLE pass (not for my car) to get into a show in Long Beach with less then 300 total cars and about 20 vendors. Seriously, GG is a GREAT value for the money.

Well boys actually GG did allow both Prowlers and Vipers into the Detroit GG event at Meadowbrook in the mid-90's I think it was. I've got photos.;)

Yeah but who would you have more fun with??:D

17. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

There are some of us that will drive in Ga, although alot of the people attending the shows in ATL are from other parts of GA we all drive 60-150 miles,hell going to ATL is something pretty big for us it wouldn't make any since to have an event in the ATL area and not be inside the 285 loop thats where all the big city stuff is... once you hit kennasaw your pretty much back in the woods for awhile.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Every goodguise I ever went to was like that. So I just used to hang with Bill Burnham, (that's how long it's been for me to be a 'regular'...Went twice more, once when Don Oroscoe had the LaMasa roadster in the So-Cal booth, (he was working on the Flint car at the time) hung out with him for awhile, then back to where the roadster was parked...
    Some gold chain elitist had a fat, mouthy wife that was telling me my roadster wasn't part of their 'party', and I should move it 'Now'.
    I said "Okay," and hooked the e-z up's leg with my right rear tire on the way past. "Oh, HEY! WATCH OUT!" I looked over my shoulder, and took the thing down as I cleaned my tires on the lawn...
    Yeah, I guess that was my last Goodguise. LOL

19. hemi

hemi

A. The last show we had in Florida had some bitchin' old school stuff..

and B. You can't blame Goodguys because Florida has ugly cars. It's Florida. It's where all the old people with money go. Of course there are going to be a lot of people who didn't build their street rods.

That being said, again, there was some cool stuff at the Florida event, there just wasn't enough of it to sustain the venue rental and all expenses. If you have a cool car, and you and your hepcat buddies boycott an event because you don't like the cars there, you are not doing anything active to change the scene. Bringing your cars in gets people looking at diversity. Hot Rodding is viral... always has been, always will be.

I though the HAMB and it's members were about spreading the word, not sitting in a corner pouting. :D

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People who complain about car shows, are those who have never helped put one on(in leadership form). Whether it`s small or large, makes no difference. People will still complain.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

I think it's funny (read sad and pathetic) that most of the complaints are about things that happened 15 years ago.

-Yeah, there was a bunch of billet-clad, pastel painted crap and a Prowler there last time I went. Goodguys sucks!

-Oh, when was that?

-Uh, that's when EVERY show was billet-clad crap. That's where Billetproof came from in 1997. That's a LONG time ago people! That's like saying the only thing on TV is Full-House and The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, so I don't watch TV because it sucks. 15 years ago Paso was full of billet-clad crap that would make the "I've-been-a-hard-core-hot-rodder-forever-since-2009" guys cry. It changed, as has Goodguys. Again, 15 years ago is a VERY long time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Again, about TEN years ago. Billy B. passed a LONG time ago. It was asshole CUSTOMERS just like the people you are talking about that inspired Billetproof, not Goodguys as a company. But instead of being a dick back to them, I started my own show. Now they beg to get in.

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, and I know that no one here has ever wanted an award and is so hard-core that they'd turn one down if it was offered, but have any of you whiners seen the cars that have been winning Goodguys top awards over the past five years? There have been plenty of HAMB-friendly BIG "of The Year" award winners. I publish, edit, write for and photograph (Hemi writes and shoots too) for the Gazette, so I am very aware of what is in there and what is at the shows (over the past seven years). The mix is killer - plenty of traditional cars - I know, that's what my preferred style is, so I look at them.

If you can't get inspiration from the ones you wouldn't personally build as well as the ones that are "your style", then you are not a car guy (or gal).

If you think that $40-$60 is too much for a weekend of entertainment for two people, then for you it is. That's OK, and it doesn't mean Goodguys sucks.

As for gas, hotels and food, they have nothing to do with Goodguys and are the same expenses you'll incur going to a "grassroots" event. Have you ever bought a hot dog at a baseball game, a large popcorn at the movies or eaten in an airport? That's getting raped. Hemi and I eat at our events every weekend we work, you can easily eat lunch for $8-$12. Yes, that is more than Taco Bell, but less than a regular restaurant. I really can't agree that that is raping you. But again, if you think $10 for lunch is too expensive for you, then it is.

This has to be the 500th time I've stated these obvious facts, but I have a feeling I'll be typing them 500 more times.

That said, there is some GREAT input coming in on this thread about parking issues, Autocross, advertising, alternate venues etc. Keep the ideas coming that Goodguys actually has control over and I'll do everything I can to make them heard.

P.S. I'm not a "real" hot rodder because I accepted multiple awards for May Cause Dangerous and even a Street Rodder Top 100 pick for The Legion Special. Oh, and The Legion Special is not a real hot rod because it only has two pedals.

24. I agree with your last 3 posts Kirk! But take issue with your dissing of the Fresh Prince od BelAir!<!>!()!&^^%$#! That was Alfonsos finest moment on TV and to drag him into teh gutters is just low man!

25. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Goodguys are cutting back on everything ! EXCEPT the entrance prices.
    This year at Rhinbeck, not even a DJ, just a tape, No info what was going on etc???
    I hear they let the GJ go! I also hear the awards they gave away,
    were crappy pieces of tin, made in china! One of the guys I know that won one,and
    was embarassed to show it to his best friend??

26. hemi

hemi

Did you go? I HEAR a lot of things...

Nobody uses tapes.... For the record the DJ we had quit for personal reasons not related to Goodguys and cutting back. Technology is such that an iPod can handle most of our sound. A dedicated DJ that can travel only part of the year and do a great job is hard to come by.

27. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Well for me, and I have read every post here 3x's, I'm still extremly pleased with all the GG's events I attend. With Charlotte and Bowling Green left I will have made six events this year.

I am sure most of us don't have a clue as to all the pieces that have to be put together to make a GG's weekend happen. Even with small local events I see people struggling with the things that go on now multiply the people 75x and it could be overwhelming.

You bet you are right when you say that I would spend as much or more when taking a weekend trip to visit my favorite major league baseball team.

So if you are at any given GG's event and you see an A.D Chevy panel, pickup, suburban with Kentucky plates and a guy with a huge smile it probably will be Trucked Up........:D

Lastly, and it out of GG's hands for the most part, are the hotels that take advantage of us during any special event weekend. Double price and in some case three night minium. Then on Monday following the event my same room goes from 119.00 to 67.00. Now that to me is gouging.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm tired of seeing this thread on the front page. It annoys me.

If you want to gush on Goodguys, go get a room or something.

If you want to complain about another car show, go piss up a rope.

Lets get back to traditional hot rods and customs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.