Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody remember "Kill Decals"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Atwater Mike, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 1962, Goodies Speed Shop had neat little decal sheets, with different popular cars depicted in black line, and 'deluxe' sheets with these cars in different colors. The cars were 2-1/2" long, quite recognizeable. Anybody seen these any more?
    Most popular were the Corvettes, ('57, '60, and '62) Shoebox Chevys, ('55, '56, '57)
    There were Pontiacs, ('57, '60) Olds, ('50, '56) and some Fords ('55, '57, '61; also, some '55-'57 TBirds)
    The car decals were side view, on clear decal paper, (could be transferred to wing windows, body metal, etc., either direction)
    I had a fast '56 Ford, with a grouping of 'kill decals' on the driver's door...

Not 'all the rage', but some of the racers liked 'em...

Jungle Jim Lieberman had his black '57 Chevy then, and he had the largest collection on his driver's door. (409 and Muncie 4 speed in it then)
    I never raced Jimmy, my Ford wasn't quite THAT fast!

2. i remember them , but never had any

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You could also get a police car one...

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's right, Bruce. I recall Terry Bickford had 2 of them on his '49 Ford Coupe wing window. ('49 had a 324 Olds with a B&M Hydro Stick, and 4.11s. Top speed around 85 MPH...Get there quick, but never ditched any cops. LOL)

5. Muttley

Muttley

I've seen an ad for them in one of my Super Stock Magazines, I'll see if I can dig it up and scan/post it. I'm pretty sure the cop car said "Fuzz" on the side.

6. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I had some on my cop car from a Mini cooper ad. the tag line was celebrate your victories.

7. storm king

storm king

Real serious street racers wouldn't have such a thing on their car. It'd be bad for odds.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

wasn't a guy named "Big Willie" advertise the kill stickers?

9. yes...have some...but they're pro mopar....has a door with an X and make in it....

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, it helped. The 'umbrella' Chevy guys would see them and get all pissed off!
    Then they'd be so rattled they'd miss the start, miss a shift, or try and match me for gears.
    Then they'd cry 'cuz Fords just 'weren't fast', and I'd tell 'em:
    Hey, it doesn't know it's a Ford...

11. If I remember correctly Pete Millar(of Arin Cee fame and CarToons)was the one that either invented them or made them popular.Here is a painted version I made to put on my Safari as a memorial to Pete.

Attached Files:

12. That's pretty cool, safariknut. Your Pontiac looks to have alot of interesting artwork on it. I'd really like to see more pictures of it. E

13. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

14. Big Willie Kill stickers, in the 60s I remember seeing them in Hot Rod mag, . He was a super fly lookin street racer out of the Detroit area and drove a Ass kickin 68-70 dark colored Dodge Charger ................. I think

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  15. You used to be able to order them from the Direct Connection Catalogue - Ford and Chevy doors with an X through them. I don't have any though.

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

yup

Attached Files:

• BW.jpg
      BW.jpg
      File size:
      231.5 KB
      Views:
  17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------
    You're talking about 'Big Willie' Robinson, the founder
    of the Brotherhood of Street Racers. The city was L.A.
    though, not Detroit. He is particularly famous for his
    and his late wife Tomiko's matching Hemi-powered
    '69 Charger Daytona street racers. Both cars were
    featured in several magazines articles and ads back
    in the day and Willie's Daytona also appears briefly
    in the movie 'Two Lane Blacktop'.

Mart3406
    ===========================

18. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

we used to call 'em bogey stickers. the ones I had were just silhouettes of random car shapes.

19. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Around here, we had the "tombstone" decals with the car make on it.

21. pastlane

pastlane

I still have a stack of the Direct Connection Chevy kill stickers.

Attached Files:

• kill.jpg
      kill.jpg
      File size:
      56.5 KB
      Views:
  22. stan292

stan292

Gang -

The first ones - and the very coolest, in my humble opinion - that I ever saw were done by Pete Millar in the late '50s-early '60s (like safariknut shows in his earlier post). They were shown in lots of his cartoons then and I'm sure sheets of waterslide decals were offered for sale back then.

Pete's long gone, but his wife and daughter still market a bunch of his stuff. I've want to use his "kill" decals (and yes, some of the cop car ones said "FUZZ" on their side) for the RPU I'm building, and will contact the Millar's and see if they are still available.

23. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

I have never seen these... This is very cool! Thanks for the discussion!

24. yes...mine are/were from the "direct connection"catolog...and my OT 68 Cuda 340 had some on the door from some kills....and yep - that motor lives on in my 69 Cuda convert....sorry about the OT....

25. stan292

stan292

Sorry for the delay fellas.

If anyone still cares, I finally remembered to contact Pete Millar's daughter Robin about the possibility of gettting some of Pete's original "Kill" decals/stickers.

She said they have been wanting to add them to their line of Pete Millar products but just haven't gotten around to it. Robin also said, my note to her served as a good reminder (I assured her they would go well with the HAMB group), and she is going to get back on the project.

If they do get made, and are offered for sale, I'll do my best to let it be known here on the HAMB, as they would be the perfect item for a genuine "trad" hot rod goodie.

26. Muttley

Muttley

I never did run across that ad, next time I do I'll scan/post it.