Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *HELLONWHEELS 36 Ford 3W build* finally!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hellonwheels, Mar 28, 2010.

1. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

VERY nice work!

2. zep058

zep058

Not alot?? Looks like you are on a roll to me!

Amazing work, if it was me cutting out the rear quarter I would be staring at it for a month willing myself to make the first cut. :eek:

3. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

inspiring, thanks for posting..

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

heck of an undertaking. nice work. looking forward to your progress.

5. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

all this for a 3 window cpe?
    you're doin a hellofa job, keep the pix comin looks real good

6. Welcome too the hell of building a 3 window from scratch. Looks great and I am right there with you on the heat thing. Keep the updates coming and looking forward to seeing the car in person at round up this year. I will be coming out in the hot rod again so hopefully we can meet up and you can give the grand tour. Where are you at on the cowl? I have some extra sheet metal from mine that I will donate to the cause if you need it.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to see a progress report with photos! Will you be using the stock deck lid or redoing things for a larger 1939-40 style lid? Its just sheet metal, thought I'd ask.:rolleyes:

8. very nice work, appreciate the update.
    Al.

9. shoebox50

shoebox50

Very nice work.

10. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Haha, yeah all this for a 3 window. I ain't got a ton 'o money! Mainly, it's because I want to alter the roofline slightly among other things and I think a real 3 window might limit me. Besides the restorer-types freaking out that I cut up 'a real one'.

On a 3 window, the rear of the roofline (sides and back, c-pillar?) is longer/bigger than a 5 window roof. I'll be going for a slightly shorter roofline. I'm speaking horizontally, not vertical height. This will also make the trunk a little longer and I think the roof will match the body better.

When you do a Marcel DeLey-style chop on a 3 window, you add about 2-3 inches in the center of the roof. But the rear beltline stays in the same place. So the roof is shorter vertically, but the roof is the same horizontal length. My plan is to lose a little length too, again since the rear of the roof is shorter. I like the 'custom lines' aspect of putting together a car like this, rather than doing the standard 'chop and drop'. There will be a few other tricks I'm gonna do to make this 'mine', pretty excited!!!

Thanks again for the compliments. And when I start altering stock lines, I'll be open to criticism and suggestions for sure!

11. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Thanks Ron, and yes, it IS hell, and the heat don't help! Absolutely yes on visiting the shop! We'll get in touch as the Roundup gets closer. As far as the cowl goes, I only have to patch a few holes and I think it's pretty much good to go, except for sandblasting, which happens soon. Thanks for the offer. If there are any sheetmetal pieces you need, let me know, I might have extra.

Ha, thats true, but only if you have bitchin' equipment! My original plan was a stock decklid, but I have to re-do all the trunk driprails. That got me thinking about a larger decklid because they look so much better. I just don't think I can pull it off with the equipment or skill that I have. Plus, I have a decklid. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow thats a pretty major thread update as far as I am concerned ! Its looking great, makes me wanna start hacking up the old tudor body I have ...must resist temptation :D, I dont have enough pieces to start yet but man I am digging your work, cant wait to see the next update!!

13. a bloke

a bloke

Awesome work, subscribed for future updates.
    I think the 36 3w is one of Henry's most beautiful designs.

14. Oh Man if I would only have had these pictures when I started ....very good,,Thanks so much for sharing

15. Great work and insperation. Keep posting.

16. How the hell did i miss this?
    Awesome job your doing there, can't wait to see this one finished.

17. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

WOW!!!!! Words cant describe this undertaking. What a thread, Your handy work and dedication is pure inspirational. Unlike you, I lack the skills to accomplish this task, but through threads like this you can learn quite a bit of knowledge. Thanks for sharing, and if I ever take on a 36 and need advice I know where to go. Also I plan on attending the Texas Roundup this year and would love to meet you guys. Anyway keep up the BITCHIN progress, I'm subscribed!!!!!!!

18. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

My question has always been "Why do the reproduction companies go to all the effort to make something that is *almost* correct?"
    It couldnt take any more effort to make the part look and fit right.

Originally Posted by fab32 [​IMG]
    This is just an observation and in no way criticism. It has to do with your obvious disdain for EMS. I am in no way connected with this business so this comes from a purely observation standpoint. Can you imagine all of the cars that have been saved by the availability of their products. Most individuals are no where near your level of quality demand. I know personally of several cars (some a lot worse than yours) that are on the road today being enjoyed when they were candidates for the crusher/recycler. I have a somewhat personal knowledge of what it takes to build dies, the work and $$$$'s involved, so I'm grateful for those individuals who pursue this as a business. I can tell you, more money can be made a whole lot easier than this business. It takes a passion for the work and a dedication to get these panels to market not knowing whether you'll ever show a profit for your effort. From another perspective, how about if you had nothing but a stack of flat sheet metal and a lace somewhat resemblance of what you needed. Wouldn't the EMS panels be better than that? For you, maybe not, as I'm sure you could pound one out in a few minutes and it would be perfect. That's NOT the position that most find themselves in.
    So, in conclusion, I want to thank you for taking the time to present this thread. It's very informative and inspirational and I, for one, can't wait for the next installment.

Frank

19. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Awesome build!

Any updates..?

20. Crafty B

Crafty B

mad skills going on here....keep your eye on the prize!!
    CB

21. JJK

JJK

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

My bigest fear is that he is waiting for me do do something on my project first, then he'll post some progress.

23. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

man you really like to build the suspense. you had to of done somthing alreaty. if you dont hurry The37Kid is gonna get his roadster done before you post again!

24. seatex

seatex

Damn, you are a cut hungry devil! "This is League Play, Donnie!!!!"

25. Just the info and motivation I was looking for...great job!

26. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Im sure the man will have more progress to post after the heat wave is over. Its around 120 degrees in the shop these days.....:(

27. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

At least there aren't 6,000,000 crickets climbing down your shirt. But id still take the crickets over the damn heat!

28. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

29. What he said :D