Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Hemi question from a Novice, HELP Please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChopTopJimmy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

I have a 1955 331 Chrysler FirePower Hemi that I am starting to tear apart for my project. I am admittedly new to the whole engine teardown thing. I have removed the original auto trans but I'm not sure exactly how to remove the torque convertor/ flexplate. I have removed the inspection cover and it looks like I need to remove the flexplate bolts from inside there. Is that correct? Does the torque convertor split from the flexplate or is it one piece? Any help you can offer is appreciated. Thanks in advance. CTJ

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Take the small plate from the bell or adapter plate next to the oil pan. the flex plate is held on the crank with bolts and nuts. the nuts are on the back of the crank flange toward the oil pan.

Ago

3. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

How do you hold the flexplate from rolling when attempting to remove the nuts?

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Put a 1 1/4 "socket on the front of the crank pulley.

Ago

Be glad the motor turns over most are froze solid

5. If you have a one wrench on the bolt and and another on the nut,the flexplate shouldnt move.

6. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Not sure there is any way to get on the bolt. Pretty tight quarters.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't know about your 331, but mine has studs in the converter, flywheel ring gear is on converter. The studs stick through the crank flange and have nuts on the front. I agree, stick a socket on the crank snout to hold it from turning. Lippy

8. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

The adapter/starter plate is held onto the block by one (maybe two) bolts. if you are lucky and have short bolts, you can remove the starter plate before you remove the converter. This will allow a longer stroke on removing the nuts on the converter. If you can't, you can only remove the nuts on the converter from below the starter plate. You will only have about a 10 degree throw so it is quite tedious.

9. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

This is exactly how mine is set up. Looks like a 2 man job of holding the flywheel and removing the nuts. Or maybe a breaker bar against the floor on the socket...

10. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

I already tried to remove the adapter bolt. It is too long for removal, hits the flywheel. This will take a while. Thanks for the help guys. CTJ

11. I stick a long screwdriver inbetween the flex plat and the converter and break all the bolts loose, or avise-grip on the flex plate and holds against the block.