Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kliche Koupe goes KUSTOM!! -OR- The Bondo Chronicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Feb 24, 2010.

1. just got it. what a day.
    i'll start loading pics in a few minutes...

2. Et, Voila!

we finished at 5:58 pm yesterday and jumped on the 405... rolled in late, but we made it. still have a few detail items to work out, but we made it. you can nit pick this car to death, and i know every little thing that's not perfect, but we made it. i'm going to go back and re-do some stuff, but we made it.

we made it.

what a journey.

the only bummer is that they backed us in, and Ian's signature tail lights require a walk around to see. but other than that... its a pretty neat feeling to be parked where we are. i really don't feel like i belong here, but its confirmation that hard work pays off.

Assembled, Polished, and on display. nestled atop 400 lbs of white rock salt...

i present to you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

happy wife... happy life...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

So stoked for you!! It was cool to see you pull in,,, Ian and I were Clapping and he was like
    "Look at those Taillights!!" hahahaha Congrats bro your hard work paid off..

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely awesome results. At least you had the courage to jump in a strip it back to fix the uglies , where faint of heart would hope they would go away. The top notch results must make you glow with pride to know you did it yourself.

5. Looks beautiful...worth the wait for pictures!

The color used for the flames sure has a lot of character in the light...

6. 'Mo

'Mo

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

dude, that is AWESOME.

8. jfrolka

jfrolka

Ddaaammmmnnnnnn!!! !!!

9. sledish

sledish

Killer job, love the whole car.

10. Looks great! Well done.

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Wow man. Looks perfect.

12. RichG

RichG

Great thread, awesome car!

So cool to see this car go from purchased pile to show queen, especially to watch the Hamber's who made it happen all along the way! :D

13. Got to see the 'finished' product for the show. Mitch, awesome colors on the flames and body, I remember talking with you about your plan at the beginning of the process, im blow away!

You nailed it!

Im happy, that you are happy, if not overly happy with the car!

Thanks for inviting me Saturday, it was a great time!

14. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Hey Mitch, sorry I could only help one night. Doing a lil project for the happiest place on earf and i have to knock this one out with an atomic punch!

15. Well, Its a wrap.
    it took exactly 7 months from the day we dropped it at Ian's to the day we rolled it in to the motorama.

The car had to be done by 6 Pm on thursday to make the 7:00 roll in and we finished at 5:58...

It has been an insane month and an incredible weekend. i learned alot about myself and about these projects. i'm really pleased with the way the car turned out and more importantly, so is my wife.

I have to say thanks to a few people.
    First my Dad for gutting it out with me every night that we worked on the car and staying into the wee hours of the morning and still opening the shop the next day.

Pastor Eddie Vargas for being johnny on the spot and showing up on roll-in day to help with the finish assembly on the car. we would not have made the show without his help.

Jimmy Hardesty for showing up out of nowhere on wednesday nite and staying until almost 3 AM to help with assembly

Tiki Diablo and Hollowpoint for lending a hand where they could

Clint Wheeler for showing up out of the blue on two separate occasions and helping in a silent but big way.

Ian Berky for giving the car such a unique identity.

Norm Taylor and Vintage Metal for the solid foundation.

Craig Kennedy and Auto Air Colors for the sponsorship on the paint materials.

John Denich and MarkV for sponsorship on polishing compounds and glaze, but more importantly for helping me to keep the proper perspective when it comes to building traditional kustoms.

Tim Fennell and Dying 2 Shine for the awesome final shine on the car.

Piero DeLuca and Live Wire for the reminder that when you want something bad enough you'll do whatever it takes to make it happen

Trace Edwards for the motivation and perspective that kicked this project into high gear.

and to everyone else who lent an encouraging word along the way.

I couldn't have done this without all you guys.

thanks.

16. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Mitch,
    It's was cool seeing you having such a great time this weekend. Thanks again for all the work you have done on my car. Now go drive the wheels off that Chevy!

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thanks dude.. for the good word.. you made it!!!! again congrats... now go cruising!!!

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

awesome. i hope i get to see it in person sometime.

19. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

came out terrific, nice work all!

20. Jay71

Jay71

Of all the cars at the Motorama, I was waiting to see pics of the 52. Wasnt disapointed. Must feel great to be cruising a great custom around! Congrats.

21. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

As I said before, fucking BEAUTIFUL! Well done. Now what are you gonna do with all that rock salt?

22. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Great job...looked fantastic and i walked around back to check out the lights! congrats to all involved!!

23. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Mitch!!! YOU made it happen!!!! The car looks awesome and your paint is incredible..... And it's BLACK!!!!! :eek: Hard one to pull!!!!

What a great weekend with tons a great people!!!!

TRACE AND CREW......... Thank you for a wonderful show!!!!!! I think were all still taking it all in!!!!

24. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Ian,
    It was nice to meet you. And yes, I did check out the tail lights on Mitch's car........ You did a great job on them!
    Brian

25. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

WOW!. I have to say that I have been following this thread since the begining and to be honest with you. I loved the car but I just wasnt feeling the black with red flames thing at all. but I kept reading on each update and still wasnt sold. I usually can look past certain things and see the potential but not on this car. Even when the base coat and the flames were first shot I was thinking it was gonna look well, "Kliche". Then I see it all put together and you absolutely nailed the look. WOW. I love it. I dont like flames. But I love them on your car. this is like a breath of fresh air. and to be honest I love that it doesnt sit on the rockers.

A beautifull example of an early traditional custom.

Fantastic work Fella's.

Eric

26. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Your car looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing the build with us.

27. Thanks Mitch for the opportunity...the best gratification of it all is your happiness and the folks who praise the car in its full entirety

The old addage "Beauty is only skin deep", I have to argue that, the beauty is under the skin! :)

Did you take a trophy home?

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much brian! Great to meet you too man!

29. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Rock salt is the key to making fake lava rock finishes. Push it in to fresh black stucco , let the stucco dry and hose off the rock salt. Presto, instant tiny craters.

this fast fact sponsored by .....

Congrats Mitch!

30. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Pure Genious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch out back yard the valcano is about to erupt!!!