Register now to get rid of these ads!

** Long Beach Motorama Sept. 23-26 **

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zephyr3789, Jul 21, 2010.

1. BAM

BAM
    from HB, CA

IMO, Trace always puts on a great show. And this one will be talked about for a long time. Really top-notch. Every person working the show seemed to really be enjoying what was going on. I think the heat may have kept a few people away. I know I'm glad I went. Thanks to all those involved.

2. this is my opinion of the show things they could work on for next year I didn't say it sucked I just said it was ok and pointed things out and if you seen the other post as well people put theres as well

1. opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

3. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Seemed like a nice try at something that might have the potential to be a decent show. Just curious, why title it as a custom event then have as many Hot Rods displayed? And, not to sound harsh because something of this magnitude must be a bloody monumental task, but there didn't seem to be a lot of early original cars? Any reason why? My mrs and i will be vacationing there this time next year - hope it happens again, Cheers.

4. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Just an update... Rick Dore's Cadillac won this years Kustom d'elegance!... I have pictures of it that I will post in a few...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Seen it there and it was beautiful.

6. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

The show was "Bad Ass" I think this show will definetly be the must go to show in the future. I will be looking foward to it every year.

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Just go back from LBC and i was very impressed with the indoor show.The cars were spectacular and the lay out was great.I saw that it suffered a bit form attendence but yet again its new and i had plenty of op to take pics and breath in the class that surrounded me.Really thankful for Trace and his amazing efforts,I can tell you there are alot of custom people in other countries that would give there right arm and leg to have a show like this in there town.I am greatful we live in a state that has shows nearly every week,i am not going to complain about that...EVER!

8. photofink

photofink

Loved this show. It was made for people who love hot rods, customs, bikes and dragsters, old and new, and the history behind them...not for the music, the "scene", the fashion, ridiculous cars, the pin-ups, and all the other lame stuff at car shows these days. Im looking forward to the next one and I hope it keeps the same demographic as this years show. I dont think more people equals a better show... Im starting to think the opposite.

9. FONZI

FONZI

I agree,
    But I think it is gonna have to be on a smaller scale. I felt like a lucky guest at an exclusive party!! I just don't see how they didn't lose money. I hope I am wrong!

10. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Trace & Riun

I took 2 of my cars and had a great time! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I have to say is thanks Fellas for the great time! see ya next year!

[​IMG]

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

BTW, hats off to you guys driven your cars home, we passed you on the 710, in our Hot Rods, going north.

12. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I'll admit. I tried to go. Even drove down there. But when you drive down that little hill and see no spectators in the parking lot and you couldn't see the cars from the street. The chainlink was up and the shade cloths ruined the effect for me. I was expecting to be able to drive past the lagoon and see car on top of car on top of car.
    What I saw was dissapointing. And I wasn't positive that paying $17 a head was worth what I drove past. So I went to Crusin for a Cure. Not the same feel but 3500 cars was nice.

13. Went this afternoon with the woman and we had a lot of fun. I really liked how you got to walk right up next to the cars and really get a chance to go over them and appreciate them. I thought the layout was awesome, and the quality of cars was outstanding. It was a bummer to not see as many people there, cause I feared it might hurt the shows future, but I don't think it had anything to do with lack of promotion. there was more than enough promotion.

This was a very specific type of show geared towards a specific group of people (us) that are not the run of the mill car guys and gals. The casual observer doesn't usually "get" the kustom/traditional scene and therefore I think that may have had something to do with the low turnout. Don't know if thats the reason, but just an observation.

I had walked over to the Cruisin for a Cure show at OC Fairgrounds on Sat. afternoon for a lil while ('cause I got a freebie ticket and live across the street) and that damn show was packed! Yeah it was more of the street rod/muscle car crowd but that show has hardly any promotion. It's packed because it caters to a broad spectrum of people, both those involved in the car world and the casual observer who isn't. The average schmoe can relate to a Mustang or Camaro type car because they are mainsteam cars and therefore easy to identify with. What we all care for isn't mainstream, and thats what made this show so special, and at the same time makes it very difficult to draw huge crowds.

Bottom line is I loved this show and really hope it keeps going. The venue was one of the best I can ever remember going to and the overall atmosphere was perfect.

14. John Denich

John Denich

Well you missed the best show in 50 years!!!! How were all the PT Cruisers and Vettes at the other show!!!! YOU MISSED A CHANCE OF A LIFETIME SHOW!!!!!!!

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, this show looks like it was a total class act with pretty much nothing but top shelf cars. Really wishing I could have been there. I'll pay extra for quality over quantity any day. And crap, if I had known before the turn out was going to light, I would have possibly tried to figure out more how to make it. Not just because I hate crowds and people all in the way when I'm just trying to see the cars, it's because I will gladly pay to help support shows like this. I'll make damn sure I'll do everything I can to make it down next year.

16. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

The PTs and the Vettes were nice. And to them I say "To each, his own".

It takes a whole bunch of people to make the world go round.

17. FONZI

FONZI

I understand your reasoning but John is right. This was something special. Not just another fairground show.

18. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

There is no such thing as just another fairground show. Each show is different and unique for various reasons.

Maybe if on a different weekend it would have had a better turn out.

Its hard to go compete with a show that has been around for a long time.

19. John Denich

John Denich

I brought home so many memories from this show! Not only was I honored to have my Chevy on the Avenue of Dreams, but I brought along my Kustom Land book and my Custom Cars of the 50's book to get signed by some of the guys! Well it was unreal! SO many legends in one place! and with the passing of Watson this year it puts it all into perspective! these guys are getting older and may not be around much longer! I will start another thread to explain all the memories I came away with!

20. FONZI

FONZI

This is what I mean by not another fairgrounds show. I have had great times at many a fairground show! But this was another level. Very unique and memorable. It was about THE CARS and the history of our hobby.

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Just got hame from the show and I was working there since Thursday 6:30am and i'm tired.. talked to trace before I left and yes attendance was low but as the producer that he is he already had the arena relayed out for next year.. and correcting and tweaking it till its perfect...hes out allot of money cause of this show but he's ready to get back to work and start moving forward with plans for the next one.. Another thing he told me is that he wants to move the show to November so it will be after SEMA..we filmed 15 hours of tape and I interviewed Winfield, Jack Stewart, Jeffries, D'agustino, Blackie just to name a few... they all said the they have not seen a car show like this in 50 years... it was amazing...

So with 15 hours of filming of the most amazing show... Were going to put out a DVD of the show!!! :D So i'll be editing and doing what I do and we should have it out soon!! It will be a nice souvenir for the people that were in the show and will be a little help to keep the show going.. I think its going to be a great DVD.. I also think its some of the best footage I ever shot of cars.. We rented 2 really nice high end cameras too...

22. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i didn't really notice but was there event t-shirts or posters? i would have liked a poster marking the first Motorama in 50 yrs. to hang in my garage.

one thing i may suggest is.... the main entrance didn't have that WOW factor when you walk thru the gates into the survivor section. that was on Saturday. but when i walked in on Friday night thru the pinstripe section and could see the main floor in the background. i was in all. i had to take a second to take it all in before entering the room. i think the entrance should grab you by the balls and drag you in.

23. Rikster

Rikster

Sounds like you choose Quantity over Quality!

24. FONZI

FONZI

Great news Evel! Put me down for a DVD!

25. Rikster

Rikster

Sounds fantastic.. looking forward to that!!!

I really hope Lance will pull of a similar show based around custom cars next year. Then I will try and get there in person.

Thanks for all the great work.

26. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

My thoughts....

I liked the indoor part. What an amazing collection of cars. I especially liked how you could walk up to the cars and around most of them.

It was also cool to see all the old time masters just roaming about with us common folk. Best part was seeing Winfield with his slicked up hair... very cool.

The outside part was (in all honesty) a little flat. Probably had to do with the small crowed.. maybe the heat.. who knows. It just felt flat.

I also spoke with several people and there was a lot of confusion about the show and registration and what not. Honestly, that's why I didn't bring a car.

All in all. I kept thinking to myself how this show really has the potential to overtake all other shows and really be the must-attend show of the year.

I'll back back next year with a crew of cars in tow.

THANKS TO ALL WHO PUT THE SHOW ON!

27. Church

Church
    from South Bay

They earned my $17 in the arena alone. Anything outside was gravy. I'd much rather look at 100 killer cars than 1000 turds. Not to mention there were SEVERAL cars in attendance that I've not seen before. Living in SoCal and having a show damn near every weekend, that's not something you can say very often. As if we weren't spoiled enough...... now we have the Motorama.

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Ain't that the truth..................i only hope you guys realise just HOW good you have it.

Maybe next year.

29. I went to the show with my mom "Penny" on friday and saturday. It was awsome.
    Then we went to the back room where the awards were and we stopped dead in our tracks when we saw my dad's car. Rich's 57 delivery that Bill Hines did for him. It brought tears to our eyes.
    Thank you Trace and Riun for all you did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  30. Thats great news on a monday morning. I was starting to burn up my other DVDs in the shop. I have MFS on so much that I quote the lines and sing the songs without looking.