Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Remembers CARtoons..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I couldn't wait to get the new issues....I used to sit around for hours and draw cartoons of cars. I ran across an old one I did the other day.

Attached Files:

2. I just found some of my Grade school artwork severely influenced by CARtoon Magazine... i'll be scanning them later and posting them!

3. Every month, I would use some of my paper route money; lawn mowing money; or bowling tournament scoring money (before automated scoring) to buy the latest MAD and CARtoons magazines. This was in the mid to late 70's. I read them both so many times, it's surprising the ink didn't fade... Just before going to college I sold them all in a garage sale my folks had for like 10 cents an issue. I can't feel bad about it cuz I wanted the money and it was my decision. All these years later I would love to have a stack of them again. Trosley was my favorite but I remember liking near everything in each issue.

To those of you who got your drawings in the mag, know that a kid in Mandan, NDakota admired you. I remember trying to draw that well, and never produced anything worthy of sending in.

It sounds like there is enough nostalgia for CARtoons, that perhaps they should be re-released as compilations... just a thought!

Scott/Gotta56forme

4. narlee

narlee

I've still got some from the 60's floating around here someplace.

5. Jake H.

Jake H.

I remember reading Conder's "Kwik E. Shift" story when I was a kid.

It stuck with me because it was the "I hate fiberglass front ends!" remark that made me ask my gearhead uncle what that meant!

So cool that you got your strip published when you were still that young. What an ego trip, ha!

6. aceuh

aceuh

According to the editorial that this one was in...it was the first iron-on.

[​IMG]

7. freakindawgen

freakindawgen

They used to have a section where readers submitted pics,my tattoo came from one in I'm guessing '75-'77 you think you could dig through your collection and find the original and scan it to me?I lost my original drawing I did of it and need to redo my tat.
    Thanks,
    freakindawgen
    [​IMG][/IMG]

It's a common thing hearing that people went in the military and parents threw them all out,lost all my models too,some probably worth as much as the CARtoons issues.Never could figure out why they did that,mad I went in the military?

8. 60 ford

60 ford

I started collecting Cartoon a couple years ago all mine came up missing after I got married and moved out. Proud to say Ive aquired about 50 issues, including all of the first 12.

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

10. I read both as, unfortunately, my dad wasn't a gearhead (my older brother was and still is, however). There were always plenty of car magazines in the house and CARtoons was one of 'em.

11. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

freakindawgen,
    I found the picture of your tatoo! It's in the Fall 1978 issue on page 78. Send me your email and i'll send you a pic or scan of it. It's about 4" by 4" in the magazine.
    [email protected]

12. freakindawgen

freakindawgen

Sent you an email last nite titled CARtoons/HAMB.Internet was goofed up last nite not sure if anything went out.Looking fwd to seeing that after 30 years!

13. aceuh

aceuh

I thought this thread needed a bump.

Scanned some of the Krass & Bernie "header" variations...anyone seen any others?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. motorhead711

motorhead711

I still have several of those hanging around. I love carTOOns magazine. Crass and Bernie are my bro and I's favorite!!!

15. This is "Funny Stuff"!!

16. narlee

narlee

Funny this popped back up. I was out in my garage the other day and ran across some so I brought them them in to read them again.

17. aceuh

aceuh

18. aceuh

aceuh

Couple more iron-ons...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Racewriter

Racewriter

Still have some of my old 'Toons. At least Krass and Bernie are still alive and well in the pages of Car Craft....

20. fred boatman cartoons

fred boatman cartoons

Thanks for reliving that ol' Bibby gig. I laughed as much seeing it again as I did back when it was new. Actually, most of the humor in those old pages of CARtoons and HOT ROD CARtoons has legs today and would find a new audience if released again. Ummmmm. Now there's a thought.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh yeah Shawn Kerri rocked too. Her style was insane. I loved the movement style she added to her vehicles.
    The "movement style" was defined by 'agitrons'...(those little lines depicting vibrations, or 'quaking')

22. aceuh

aceuh

Yep...Shawn Kerri is one of my favorites as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Still trying to find the poem ''Garlits at the strip''. It was a ripoff of ''Casey at the bat''. Pretty sure it was in Cartoons,any one remember it?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  24. Mr Boatman-

Good to see that you're still lurking around here. Nelson Dewey has popped up in here a couple times but mostly he's been keeping a low profile. Don't be a stranger, surely you've got a couple "car doodles" you can post here so we can see what you've been up to. :D

And thanks again for al the great 'toons!

25. corvettejeff

corvettejeff
    from canada

Love this thread. Looking for back issues mainly between 75 and 83. I have a stack of these ol' mags still and I love'em. I remember the first time I read one, it was my brothers and I read it so much I destroyed it. After that I started buying them from my neighbor and the corner store with my paper route money. George Trosley, Shawn Kerri, Steve Austin and Bob Hardin were my fav's. They taught me how to doodle and gave me dreams of owning a rad Hot Rod. I have a wicked ol' 68 Dodge Coronet 500, but I still remember that first issue. These were the iron-ons that were in it. Can anyone tell me what issue it was or post a pic of the cover so I can start hunting for it? Thanx.

[​IMG]

26. aceuh

aceuh

The issue you're looking for is July/August 1981. This is what you're looking for...

[​IMG]

27. corvettejeff

corvettejeff
    from canada

Thanx, that's a big help. And I remember that cover too now. First time in almost 30 years. Thanx again.:D

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cartoons RULE !

29. aceuh

aceuh

Thread needs a bump...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've slowly been loading all the toons I've scanned to a facebook page...unfortunately I'm not smart enough to figure out how to link em here... So if you do the Facebook thing, just search "CARtoons magazine". There's like three pages that'll show up. One with nothin but a wiki link about the history of CARtoons, another with a handful of pictures and a BUNCH of friends/members (however that works) and the one I'm workin on...it's got a bunch of pics and I'm adding to it daily.

30. aceuh

aceuh