Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap price must be up again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Sep 17, 2010.

1. AD

AD

awwmann' i need those bumpers and trim!

2. henryj429

henryj429

OK, here's a real scenario - see what you think. I have this car for sale on the HAMB right now for $1000 - not a crazy price for a solid complete car. Not even one offer in over a month!

[​IMG]
    I have no time or money to build it, so I'll part it out if it doesn't sell. So, I sell of all the trinkets and easy to ship parts and probably make decent money. I can't sell fenders, doors, hood etc because nobody is willing to pay shipping or cover my gas to drive 2 hours to the nearest Greyhound depot. I'm left with a what appears to be complete car sans trim. For sure nobody will give me $400 for it, but the crusher will. So I put it on the trailer to go see the "man" and somebody sees me, takes a picture and I get trashed. I don't own a junkyard, so I can't keep these things forever. Am I evil?

P.S. I got this car from an estate a few miles South of me. It was goung to be crushed along with all the 80s junk around it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. SLAMED 59

SLAMED 59

scrappers.jpg

ive seen 5 old cars and trucks get scrapped this week nothing worth saving at 220 a ton can't blame them. guy in front of me today got 768 for the ford and international trucks. i got 649 for a load of motors.

Attached Files:

• scr.jpg
      scr.jpg
      File size:
      60.7 KB
      Views:
    • scra.jpg
      scra.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
  4. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I just told my wife today I am thinking about taking a 50 merc I have to the scrap yard, had it for sale for 500 bucks for about 6 months, no one wants it so I guess it will get squished. Jim

5. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Ok , nobody wants it , so I guess its off to the grinder , sorry dude , I still dont see it , they aint making any more of these , 20 years ago , you couldnt get me to look at any project with more than two doors , my current project....a '57 Chevy Belair station wagon , somebody , somewhere will take it eventually , if you have the room , just keep it if you aint missing any meals...

6. Unfortunately, that line speaks volumes. It has been a long time since I had to break out the coin wrappers.

I did this morning :(

7. Squablow

Squablow

Tough to sell a rusty 4 door project car, but that one will part out real easy. At least save all of the choice parts off of it. The rear window opening sheetmetal, the grille shell (even if it is rusty) the hood and trunk hinges, dash, all that shit. You should get $3K out of that car fairly easy.

I won't go into the "if I was closer" deal on that one, but I have parted similar ones out and they do well.

8. thejohn

thejohn
    from bryan,tx

saw a pre wwii john deere tractor going, pulled in to buy it and the forklift ass dropped it from about six feet and bent both steel wheels, so i got to see it get destroyed for no reason

9. I got $100.00 for a set of Merc trunk hinges alone......

10. Well, if you're advertising it only on the HAMB, you get what you pay for, frankly. Not that the HAMB is a bad place or anything, but not everyone in your area who might want that car, looks at the HAMB - if you really want to sell it you have to make some effort to advertise it, you can't expect folks to read your minds and know it's there.

That said it is a WWII era Mopar... low demand on those, even if it is a tudor.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a '32 tudor sedan in a yard at an abandoned house. An old drag car, the body was gutted and chopped, about 5". Nice chop job, but the door jambs were cut down the middle, and garnish moldings gone, but the sub frame was cherry, and it was still bolted to the '32 rails, with all 3 crossmembers, K-member perfect.
    I told a bodyman 'friend' about it, he hustled over with his boss'e flatbed, and took it home. He said, "Not much here," and I told him the firewall was excellent, why not work on it?
    About a month later, I was doing a 300 mile service on his Porsche Speedster I had restored the engine & transaxle on. He told me he had taken the Deuce to the scrap yard. He said "I just wanted pictures of it being crushed."
    I never spoke to him again. Well, Only when I bought the '38 tube axle & round spindles hanging in his garage from him for $20. At least I saved something from this maniac.

12. codeblu

codeblu

My son has a friend that is a scrap guy, he usually hauls off machinery and later model cars. Two weeks ago I hear some commotion out in the front yard. He's out there with his truck and trailer. Somebody had him haul off a 51 Plymouth Cambridge 2dr. He figured it needed to come to my shop rather than get crushed. I haven't quite mastered the picture posting thing on here, but I did make an album for it. The drivetrain and interior are gone, but it's a buildable piece.

13. henryj429

henryj429

I do have it advertised elsewhere.

So, I won't get beat up if I squash it?

By the way, I have a 49 Shoebox Ford 2-door in slightly worse condition that I couldn't sell for $650. It is getting parted out and you can probably guess the fate of the body.........

14. I dunno, I'd be sticking another motor in it and selling it as a running project, maybe spray a coat of primer on so it's all one color, that seems to fool most people. But even then it's not like its a Deuce or a hemi car or something.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Try living in a county(out of 99) with the highest rate of unemployment for the state. At least 3 different people(if not more) call into swap time on the radio every day looking for srap metal. Not to mention there`s an evening swap time too that I usually miss. How do you stay ahead of that.

16. One more bid & this one would have gone to the crusher.

JH

[​IMG]

17. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Man , I got a non hamb friendly mopar ex-police car just dying to donate its guts to put this sedan back on the road , if you were anywhere near southern WV , you wouldnt own this car anymore cuz it would have my mopar go fast goodies in it:D

18. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Well, I just got home from a 7 hour drive to go to an antique car and parts auction. My trucks bumper was almost draggin the ground. You can go to www.tandeauction.com for pictures for a few days probably. Anyway, pile of grille shells with radiators $275, bought buy a hoarder. Next pile $250. Radiators bought by scrapper $25. Lots of driveshafts, axles and heavy iron bought by scrapper, no body else was bidding. Remember I drove 7hrs one way. Bought a whole truckload of vintage headlights to resell, I'm not a hoarder, they'll be listed. Conoco gas pump brought $2300, good desirable antiques brought good money. Hoarders were having a field day. On to the cars. 78 Mustang II $10,74 Pinto $10, Model T parts and frames $10 - $35, my friend's 26 T truck, running engine, new front tires,a lot more complete than the photo $450. Running Model A generator $500, only because I ran it up, spent too many hours earlier in the week getting it running. More, 56 Ford 2dr $35, 56 4dr $75. 56 Mercury hardtop brought $1200 suprising, when a 47 Dodge truck sold for $125 and the guy drove it home. Can you see the trend here? More cars for sale than buyers. Only guys buying parts are hoarders. How did I figure they were hoarders? Crippled guys in their seventies buying everything cheap, probably aren't building much. One guy from out of state bought a lot, picked out what he wanted and left the rest. Scrap guy made out like a bandit. My friend had a sale for three days during the auction. Lots of good Model A and 50's Ford stuff. Made about enough to pay for his time. Yeah, I think we are going to see a lot of good stuff get scrapped. Ironically, the 64 hardtop that started this thread. My friend has a 64 hardtop 352 auto Galaxie 25,000 original miles very nice car $8500 no takers.

19. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Well, I'm off this morning to save some stuff off of a farmers land , this guy I work with is a scrapper , and he knows I hate to see old cars and trucks hauled off for the scrapper , so he comes to me and says that he is cleaning up a farmers property for half of the scrap , and he tells me there's a '48 Dodge truck , and a '52 Dodge truck there , I ask how much , he tells me to make a guess on what the scrapper will pay , and then I pay him !! , thats the way it's supposed to go , if someone is willing to pay the same as scrap , and your going to scrap it anyway , then sell it to the guy willing to do something with it , even if it is try to flip it for a profit , it keeps the old stuff around a little longer....

20. henryj429

henryj429

Obviously no crushers showed up to this auction to bid against each other. if they had, the seller would have probably doubled his money and a bunch of people would be pissed that the cars weren't saved.

Basically you got lucky. I've been to auctions like that too - but they are not the norm anymore. Even way up here at the edge of nowhere, the crushers always show up.

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Maybe becuase I have worked ( part-time ) for junk yards and have friends who own junk yards ...
    I may have a different perspective on crushers ...
    :)

Everyone complains about them ... and of course some good/decent stuff does go to the crusher. It is called life. Get one and get over it. :rolleyes:

The law of SUPPLY and DEMAND comes into play here. No one would want to live next to a place ( in a neighborhood ) with a bunch of old junk lying around. No one cares if a 1979 Fairmont or a Chevette goes to the crusher. These older cars that folks complain about ... are just that ... a older car to MOST folks. The crusher/scrapper folks are just trying to make a living.

Folks/HAMBERS complain about this stuff being crushed but MOST want buy these old junks for pennies on the dollar of what they are worth accross the scale. IF you want them ... find them and buy them before the scrap man ... finds/buys them ...

I sold a old parts F-1 yesterday ( to a HAMB guy ) for less than I could have got for it accross the scale. I hated to see it go to the crusher ... but if he had not bought it ... it was going to the junk yard ( to patiently wait it's turn for the crusher ) via a rollback this week. I have 3 more 48/51 F-1's ( elsewhere ... not at my home ) that will face the same fate within the next 6 months once I get what I what off them. I have offered to GIVE away F R E E parts off the old F-1's in the HAMB classifieds with no takers ...

22. this thread just keeps getting more political daily! crushing lots of this old iron always has pro's and con's but bottom line is "it's your stuff so do as you need to survive"

23. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I had two '49 Ford 4-doors that were complete with V-8's. I was asking $400 for the pair with no one wanting to even email/call. After a month I had to move so on to the trailer they went. I got to the scrapper with one & was asked what I wanted for it. I told him $300 no delivery. It went to the shredder. I went home & loaded the second & made it back to the yard & the same guy offered me $200 for it. I told him I got that for the last one & the crane unloaded it. He muttered some expletives & said I was a hacker for hauling in classics. I showed him the ad in the paper & told him he had his chance... he was not happy. I ended up selling 10 cars to the scrapper that month & no one was buying. I placed ads on Craigslist as well as in the paper & other car sites as well as my own. If no one is interested then no one is interested. Either pony up the dough or stop bitching

24. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Absolutely, I agree 100%. If you want em, get em. Otherwise quit whining. More cars than there are buyers, always has been, probably will be for a long time. Besides, eventually it will be reproduced. Out of the stuff I bought at the auction, I'm already sorting for the scrapper. Too rough, I don't know, let me think about it, would you take 10% of what its worth, and my favorite I'll be back. Bullshit, I'm buying groceries.

25. thrush544

thrush544

Another lost 64 ..... sad indeed :(:(:(

26. Hey go for 'em - get 'em while we can. And for those that go to Mr Krusher it only makes the survivors that much more valuable.

I took a small load of mostly non-car scrap to the salvage yard recently; while waiting to cross the scales I noticed a couple of trailers with older cars on them - both rough. I've seen worse.

But I didn't see anyone waiting with $$$ in-hand to save them. . .

In today's economy, a lot of folks are selling their scrap for the $$$. And those who say they'd like to save 'em either can't, won't or just don't. Both sides have their reasons for doing what they do.

That was mid September, scrap was going for $155 a ton when I weighed out, down $15 from the previous day.

Sometimes reality sucks.

27. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

They are really cleaning up the countryside around NC cars and junk that has been lying around for years is all getting hauled off for scrap. I see loads heading for the scrapyard all the time. alot of it is just rusted out junk that people wouldn't have had 10 years ago. sometimes it is a very restorable car (50s-70s) or even a rough old running one. A sad site!

28. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Price here on iron just went up again. If you want future projects you better buy em. Can't believe the amount of cars for sale on the HAMB, with 14 to 18 bumps. Obviously there are more cars than buyers right now. I've seen two more 64 Ford's go to the scrap yard since this post started. And yes they both had good bumpers. As I said before I can get good bumper cores, but nobody wants to pay to ship them.

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Hate to admit it, but IM fixing to send one to the scrapper pretty quick. Ive had ths ol 50 Dodge for sale over a year and no takers. Its pretty copmplete and I would take a couple hundred to keep from scrapping but no interest in anything but parts. I need space in the garage and some cash more than I need an ol 4 door, guess thats just how it goes sometimes...