Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cameras we use for shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserchief, Sep 11, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I got one too, it's crap.

I use my Diana flash (and colored gels) on my D90 with cool results!

2. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ever try that color tinted film they sell? I wonder if its worth it, sounds a little too "gimick-ie".

3. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

This is how I roll.[​IMG]

4. Deuces

Deuces

These were taken with a Voyager LG cell phone... I think it's 2.0 or 3.2 MP's... Hell, I don't know..... The ol' lady bought it for me...

Attached Files:

5. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

My Avatar pic was taken with my Pentax Optio 4mp. It's a great little point and shoot with a lot of options and yet it's smaller than a wallet.

me7.jpg

The following pics were taken with my new Canon 7D with a 24-70 2.8 L lense. I've always enjoyed using flashes, but this 2.8 lense can take excellent photos in very low light.

zsacram4.jpg

The 18 mega pixel of the 7D gives ya poster size imagages and is way to big for basic internet stuff.

zf1.jpg

Some of the best pictures I've seen were taken with film and then scanned. I know a lot of people is still doing that today. I miss using film, but it was spendy, I would spend thousands of $ a year on developing.

I agree with all the prior posts, its the user and the equipement they have available that capture excellent photos.

6. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

7. When I was in the market for a good digital SLR I narrowed it down to Nikon and Canon. Talking to a lot of owners plus a trip to the public library to look up recent camera magazines helped me decide. There were a lot of comparisons between the Nikon and the Canon in the magazines. I went with the Canon but it was close. Remember that once you buy into the camera system you should stick to it as lenses and other acessories will probably fit the next newer version of the camera body.

Charlie Stephens

8. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

from my photographer buddies, nothing wrong with either a nikon or canon. it kinda comes down to personal preference really

9. hemi

hemi

As stated, it's not what you have, it's how you use it to a point. Telling a story or capturing a moment, not within a frame, but the essence...

Yes, to do more unique or specialized shots you need better gear, but there comes a point where you have to justify spending 200% of cash and effort for 5% more. It's like drag racing, the faster you get in the top levels, the more you find yourself buying more expensive doo-dads and parts. But if you can't drive, it doesn't help one bit.

I'd even say that along with composition, lighting is more important than technical wizardry...

I'm not even great by any stretch, but I like stories that can convey your intentions.

The selective focus is very dramatic in making a point... not scared, or a piston? Here's a key study I did in my office a while back. Nikon D90, untouched in any way. Could the texture of the trunk key be more crisp? Sure.. but the message wouldn't be altered with the minor improvement of clarity. It's a worn out key.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in the end, it's what's in the photo that counts... my hex-wife took this one Sunday morning, and the little girl is now six, and it remains one of my most favorite car pics ever.

[​IMG]

10. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

hemi has one hell of a point with that last post. i find myself struggling to capture that essence. the fact is you cant do it with every picture you take. some are just snap shots. but occasionally (for the unskilled) you get a really nice shot (such as the keys). i love to photoshop but an image is powerful if you dont have to touch it at all. here are some examples.

my pentax is an SLR but its only 6mp and 6 years old. if you know how to work the tool though, great things can happen

no joke these were shot with the same camera just different settings and i had to get a little more intimate with the machine :D

target acquired!!
    [​IMG]

got the angle i wanted, move in for the kill...
    [​IMG]

BANG!!! headshot, no touch ups. straight to print!
    [​IMG]

cameras are tools, get out and shoot everything you can. practice your setting, experiment, explore and HAVE FUN!!!

11. hemi

hemi

I will also say that half of it is being in the right place at the right time and seeing something special:

One Sunday morning in Bakersfield:

[​IMG]

Shop in Texas:

[​IMG]

Above the morning:

[​IMG]

Below the planes:

[​IMG]

And a camera phone at dusk:

[​IMG]

Two more phone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ha Ha! That was my first camera, my mom brought it with her to California when she moved from Wisconsin in '50. still have it.

I'm not the best photog in the world but I like old cameras and I like to take photos. I was using this Kodak Retina till I got my first digital, now I just use a Fuji Finepix point and shoot. It takes good pictures and is just too easy to carry and use. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

13. I pretty much shoot film only. I think it all depends on what you want, and what you like. What i like is not necessarily what everyone else likes. I love the feel i get from film and with what equipt. I use. Medium format is about all i'm shooting these days, in 120 or 127 film. I use Yashica 635 & 44, Rolleicord 1, Graflex 22, and various Brownies and Duaflexes. I also use a Holga from time to time cause its a crap shoot, and kind of fun to not know what you're gonna get...they are pieces of shit. here is some Medium format stuff of mine. I like very contrasty shots, but also dig fuzzy or slightly out of focus shots too...i dig the mood it produces.

Attached Files:

14. 120 is pretty common, you can pic it up at any photo shop worth its oats or there's always ebay, which often times is much less in cost than your local camera store for bulk film. Re the extinct form of film you speak of....prolly 620 you speak of.....just buy soe 120, and roll the 120 onto 620 spools in a dark room or even easier....just take a 120 roll and sandpaper the ends of the spool down to a sliver then it fits 120 camseras fine. Go for it on the 120 medium format, you'll love it.

15. If anyone needs metal 120 spools, I have a f'ing ton of them, so pm me and we'll work something out

16. here's a shot i took with an old Argus 35mm camera...complete with mold specs on the inner lense...i wouldn't dare clean em off....i love the effect.

Attached Files:

17. the rest of these pics were taken with my 1978 Canon A1 or my Canon AE1 35mm cameras, some in B & W, some in color.

Attached Files:

18. here are a few pics of some of my cameras i shoot with and the lenses....i have 32 different cameras now, but only really use about 10 of em on a regular basis. the rest are just for experimental stuff or to change it up, and some are just for shelf appeal.

Attached Files:

19. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

FARMER, Nice shots!

20. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Yeah, I have boxes of 120, I'll try sanding some of them down to fit the 620. There is also another yet smaller format that fits inside some of my baby Brownies.

21. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Farmer , I still think that night time Hot Rod Garage shot is one of the best ever, love the neon.

22. hemi

hemi

X2... Randy's shop is amazing.

23. nwaringa

nwaringa

I use a Nikon P6000 which works well and shoots great images but is a battery whore... especially with the built in GPS chip on. I hear the P7000 is out soon and the word on the street is its one sexy momma. DLSR's shoot fantastic images but are a pain to lug around.

24. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Amazing thread. Great advice from the Pros and all the other photographers. I plan on buying the Nikon P7000. I need a easier camera to use, but this one will also shoot RAW. But I still will use my Nikon D40. Slim

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Farmer, your pics are very cool.. and that is quite a collection of cameras you have there. saw a guy last weekend at Billetproof that may have been you with several vintage cameras shooting pics of the "34 coupe guys" by the main entrance.

I have 2 vintage cameras from my uncle and grandparents. I'm sure I'll never shoot with them, just family heirlooms to me.

I love my digital and what I can do with them on the computer. I'd say I'm more interested in the finished photo than what was used to get it there.

26. thanks guys....49ratfink.....that was me- i actually brought 5 cameras to the show and shot all of them, 1. a yashica 635, 120 film. 2. a yashica 44, 127 film. 3. a Rolleicord 1, 120 film. 4. a kodak duaflex III, 120 film sanded to fit the 620 spool size. 5. my trusty canon A1 35mm. 1 roll of Ektar 100 color 35mm, and 1 roll of Ektar 100 color 120 film, and a box of Tmax 100 Professional Black n White. I had fun, but i actually felt worn out after the show from fucking with all the filters and loading/unloading film, changing lenses etc.

Buick59....i think the smaller film you mention is 127. it looks like a miniature 120 roll. That's what my Yashica 44 shoots...EXPENSIVE, but you gotta try it, just for the hell of it.

27. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

[QUOTE

Buick59....i think the smaller film you mention is 127. it looks like a miniature 120 roll. That's what my Yashica 44 shoots...EXPENSIVE, but you gotta try it, just for the hell of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats it. The baby Brownie box, lists 127 as the format. Believe it or not there is still a roll of film in my Baby Brownie. I didn't know this till I opened it up. Shit!

How much per roll is that 127?

28. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

29. aceuh

aceuh

Without a doubt there's a lot of heavy hitters around here! I'm constantly blown away by the knowledge and talent that steps up everyday.

I'm not a photographer...but I like to take pictures. I've had a few show up in print here and there over the last couple years, and I see some of em getting used for guys avatar pics on lots of forums. And I don't mind, I enjoy shooting them and it feels good to have people think that I'm actualy good at something (weather I am or not).

I'm point & shoot all the way and apparently in a minority...I'm using Kodak. Why?...I don't know. It's just what we bought. The older one is a Z760. It'll fit in my pocket and I still use it from time to time for lower light shots. But it's not the greatest for that either. The newer one (3yrs old) is a Kodak Z712IS. It's still a basic point & shoot with some manual settings....and it turns to crap when the lights get low. I don't like to use a flash, but even with slowing down the shutter and using a tripod everything looks grainy (not in a good way) when the light is less then stellar.

I shot this with the older camera...it's probably one of my favorite shots.

[​IMG]

Some others...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. notrod13

notrod13