Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Leonard Woods left this world today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ditto..Rest in Peace Mr. Woods. :) So ironic how some of these iconic figures, such as a WWII bomber pilot, pass in an undignified way. Kinda sad, but thanks for sharing the news. Truth be told, he left one hell-uva legacy behind. So maybe it was not all bad. :confused:
    JT

2. Weasel

Weasel

A sad day indeed. R.I.P. Mr. Woods.

Here from blackvoicenews.com:

Lenny Woods, Chino Hills Ford Owner, Found Dead in Dealership
    Wednesday, 22 September 2010 20:30

Cheryl Brown –

Timothy “Lenny” Woods was in business and a very proud owner of Chino Hills Ford for 30 years. Woods was found dead at his dealership on Tuesday morning.

[Lenny Woods]

Lenny Woods
    Woods was born in Riverside, 64 years ago, into a family of builders and racecar enthusiasts. His father Timothy Leonard Woods, had the first Black owned construction company and built neighborhoods on the eastside of the city. The family was also the first Black drag car racers and raced a 41 Willy’s car named Stone, Woods, and Cook. They were always race favorites and have many trophies to show for it.

In Riverside, he attended Longfellow Elementary School before the family relocated to Los Angeles. He later graduated from the University of Notre Dame.

Fast forward, Woods knew the car business and was prepared when Ford instituted the Minority Dealership Program.

He was one of a few Black owned dealerships in the nation to be developed by automakers in the country. He was highly successful and had developed a market niche.

In 2003, the market began changing, housing was exorbitant, gasoline was on an upward climb, and the appetite for American cars changed drastically.

In April of 2010, due to a failing economy, he became one of the casualties and was forced to close his dealership and return or sell his inventory. He was unsuccessful in getting a loan from the banks after their bailout, a loan from the city, that had recently received stimulus money, and when that failed he had no where else to turn.

Known as a hard-nosed businessman with a soft side, he helped little league teams, car racers, and community organizations of all kinds especially in Chino but he could not overcome the economy.

Wife Cynthia, daughter Dana, son Timothy III, and two grandchildren, sister Sandra Woods-Wellington and a host of relatives and friends survive him.

Memorial arrangements are not announced at this time.

3. This is indeed sad news. Condolences to the family.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Rest in peace, Mr. Woods. Thoughts and prayers are with the family and all who knew him.

6. SWC was, and will always be at the top of the list when we talk of racing history. Truly one of the best teams of the era, and they never failed to put on a good show. Let's hope they're all together now, discussing what the new car will be when we ALL assemble for the "WORLD FINALS!"

Peace, Mr. Woods.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

terribly sad. my thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Woods' family and friends.

8. ardyboy

ardyboy

sad news
    R.I.P. Mr. Woods

9. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

10. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I bought a car from him in the early 90's. The saddest part of this story is going to be for his family. They are left with shattered pieces.

11. Thoughts and prayers from Montana. May the Woods family find some measure of peace and solace.

- for me the SWC trio was legendary -

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

RIP.....positive thoughts to his family.....

13. Very sad ending for a First Class Guy, My condolences to His Family and Friends.

14. Damn!! that sucks! Stone, woods,& cookie cook, were the pivotal rodders, breaking down all kinds of barriers! I must have built that Revell model a thousand times! god speed Leonard!

15. rick finch

rick finch

R.I.P. Leonard Jr.:(

[​IMG]

16. RIP, Leonard...

17. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

R.I.P he will be missed

18. DITTO ! .........................he done good while he was here.

19. slammed

slammed

How very sad, Mercy on his soul.

20. belair

belair

Sad-but how you live is more important than how you die. Prayers for his family and friends.

21. ratster

ratster

sad news. R.I.P.

22. teddyp

teddyp

rip your crew was and always be my hero,s the stone woods and cook team show how the car people like people for who they are if anyone has pictures of the team with thier famous willy,s please post them

23. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Their car was the big dog of AA/GS. Everyone else played catch up. RIP

24. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Wo! This is news to me! I heard rumors that one of the team members of the S.W.C team owned a Ford dealership somewhere in So. Cal. But never would of guessed its one of the ones closest to home, wich I drive by all the time.. Small world..
    Just shows the tough times we are living in.. R.I.P.

[​IMG]

25. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Godspeed...

Attached Files:

26. Sad news to hear. R.I.P. Leonard , God please you . My thoughts & prayers to the family .

27. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

He will be missed by many. My condolenses to the family.

28. Sad news indeed, well respected and legendary. May He rest in peace, Rickbop said it well concerning the courage it takes to take that step. We all must reflect how important each day is and why we are here. If anyone is feeling down, just remember we were winners from the beginning, we all, each one of us won the biggest race of all, the sperm race, we were the strongest swimmers from the very start of life. Millions lost and we won a chance to live!

29. T-Roy

T-Roy

Amen... Sad to hear the news of Leonard's passing.

I bought a truck from his dealership last year. While in the waiting room there, I walked down a hallway and saw all these pictures hanging of the Willys'. So, of course I started asking questions about them. I had no idea when I drove down to Chino to buy my truck. I wanted to meet him, but was not there that particular day.