Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will my idea for different taillights work on my 53 Customline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Farrah Lane, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

So, I am in the beginning stages of getting my '53 Customline [​IMG]
    going so I'm trying to plan what and how I'm gonna do different things.... obviously my passenger rear quarter panel is busted up (previous owner) so I'll either be pounding out that dent or putting a whole new one in....right now, however, I'm stuck because I initially wanted to fabricate a way for these taillights to fit somehow (with the belief that with enough fabrication and custom work, anything can fit anything):[​IMG]

but now I'm starting to wonder if it really would be possible no matter how much creativity and fabrication I do? (I'm very aware that if it IS possible, it won't be easy and will require a TON of work to pull it off) Anyway, what do you think?

Also, whether those fit or not, I'm interested in opinions for other taillights that might look good... no matter what though, I'm not keeping the stock ones......

side note: I'm very much a newbie when it comes to skill level with this sort of thing, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I go so I can do as much on my own as possible... despite being a girl, when someone asks me about my car, I want to be the one to answer their questions....not shrug them off to my husband. I know my work won't be the greatest looking either, but it will be my own and that will be something to be proud of!

2. edsel wagon lites are very rare or $$$$$

but i have roached BURMUDA wagon like you pictured if that will help ya of coarse i will be keeping the taillites and accessory fins ...

3. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

'54 Oldsmobile tail lights look great in a '52 - '53 Ford.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are correct that almost ANYTHING can be done...........but should it be? There is absolutely nothing about the contours of your Ford 1/4's and the Edsel wagon lamps that are naturally compatible. Traditional taillight conversions of the day consisted of '53 thru '56 Olds lenses, either in the stock Ford bezels or frenched in, to the always popular '56 era Packard lamps. Just consider that the main part of the Edsel lamp, the large round bezel is huge compared to the stock light and depending on whether you add the fins to the top of the fender, or drop the lamp bezel, it will take MAJOR mods to fit them. While I realize styling is a matter of personal taste, I seriously doubt you will be satisfied with the results. Try sketching or photoshop first, at the least.

Ray

5. parklane

parklane

If you want to go through the hassles of putting 57 Ford rear fenders on your 53, the edsel wagon taillites are a natural.

6. choptvan

choptvan

very true. Look at my stupid ass decklid that I am throwing out. Not everything belongs. Packard lights look cool. But as stated, pricey. Why not do it like drew's is now? Or are you looking for something different? I can understand that. Have you seen the olds lights they are speaking of? Rounded? Look like a tit stickin out the back... but in a good way! I swear!

7. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

Yeah I'm definately beginning to lean in the direction of picking something else.... Drew's are ok but I want something different. Yeah I've seen the rounded olds ones. They're cool, but I wanna see if there is anything I might like better.... I dunno...just somethin' about em, I dont feel all warm and fuzzy inside....

8. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

What would putting 57 ford rear fenders on entail?

I believe you have me pretty much convinced now. I think I should go a different route.... the issues you mentioned where exactly what had me second guessing it.... I like your signature btw. Very fitting to the thread lol

9. Edsel lights on that car will look like crap! 54 Olds look great on those!

10. choptvan

choptvan

ha ha! Warm and fuzzy. That is the best way to describe it for sure.

11. rick finch

rick finch

Edsel lights look like crap.....even on an Edsel.:D

12. carnut341

carnut341

I've had 53 Olds and flat lense in my 53 Customline. The Olds look the best but we all would like to be different. If you like the Edsel lights then use them. It will be a lot of work and expensive but if you can handle it, go for it!

13. Squablow

Squablow

I cut about an inch of diameter off of a pair of early Falcon tail light lenses to fit them into the frenched stock bezels on my '53. Turned out pretty good, although on the second time around I think I might do something more radical.

If you plan to use any tail light that won't bolt into your old stock bezels, you'll want to get the whole assembly and a chunk of the rear quarters from the car they came out of. Makes installation a lot easier.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Here is an interesting installation, using inverted '56 Packard lenses.
    A plus here is that repro lenses are readily available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

hmmmm....i actually kinda like the way that looks....

16. sugarlou

sugarlou

I like the stockers..lol
    maybe a '59 Caddy bullet lens frenched without the chrome base? Common choice but at least they follow the lines of the car

17. 'Mo

'Mo

If you'd like to give it a go, the Packard lenses are available HERE:
    http://www.kingofdice.com/chev.asp

For some warm fuzzies in the meantime, maybe these bullet lenses would fit (3 5/16")? They are available for pocket change at Nightprowlers. http://www.thenightprowlers.com/

[​IMG]

18. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This (1954 Packard) is to me the best looking taillight for and 52-54 Ford/Mercury

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

CONFUSED ? HUH....ME LIKE CADDIE LITES. THE ONES THAT LOOK LIKE (.)(.)s

20. Customizing any part of a car needs to be coordinated with the rest of the overall design or modifications. Take a look at these lights . They should be close to the diameter of the original Ford lamps.

60 Matador / Polara
    [​IMG]

60 Dodge Phoenix

[​IMG]

61 Cadillac
    View attachment 1097307

I've always thought that a plain concave lens would work quite well in the stock housing . The only difficulty would be fabricating a deep lamp housing to get the bulb far enough back from the lense. I have a couple of the lenses I made up when I restored the Facel.

Picture 462.jpg

21. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I have these bullets on my otherwise stock taillights (modded to allow them to fit of course) and I really like the way they look.

Thanks for the link on these, as I wanted to get a spare set and the place I got mine is long gone!!

22. I'm with Rik on the 54 Packards.

23. roddinron

roddinron

Edsle's were gaudy cars, hence the gaudy tail lights, which follow the theme of the car. But those lights in NO WAY fit the contours of your much more conservatively contoured ford. Rik has posted some beautiful example of CLASSY looking tail lights. Start with a classy theme and follow it through and you'll end up with a classy car. For a custom to work, everything should flow together not just be stuck on because you liked the part, or it was handy. JMO

24. Move your lites into the bumber guards and fill the stock holes...

25. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Ever consider 59 Chevy lights & fins grafted on the quarter panels? Mount them nearly vertically but slanted out about 10 - 15 degrees.

26. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

That is an EXCELLENT idea! That's what I'm going to do now!!! Thank you!!

That's an interesting idea. I'll check that out...
    I like the way the packard lights look....

those are all awesome ideas! Thanks for taking the time to search and post those for me!! I appreciate all the great ideas you have all given me and I think the final product will ultimately look better than the edsel lights