Register now to get rid of these ads!

For his dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangGTS, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

Well, I just had a truck rolled into my shop (like I have the extra room with 3 cars already in there) but it is the most noble cause that I can think of. It belongs to the father of a friend that I drag race, and turn wrenches with. It was his grandfathers truck, and they have never let it out of their owner ship, though it was just parked on the ranch property Texas, as a reminder. Well, the time has come to return all of the help that his dad has given along the way (some late night breakdowns, including a broken driveshaft come to mind)

So here is what I ask of you...

what direction do I go on this, as I am basically being given liberty on this?

Basic Details:

It was a farm/ranch truck, but it is a 57 chevy long bed. He wants it to be something very nice, that is reliable, and looks good. also to shorten the bed.

so do I go the easy route, and nova subframe it, do all of the body work, and put a 9 inch under it with a 4 link, and stuff a 350/350 combo in it, and just a nice clean paint job....

or go a little more wild, such as LS1 power, air ride, and bright metallic paint. Neither is going to be the exact thing that he remembers, and I am at a loss...

Help me out on this one, as I usually do drag cars, and my old man is along the lines of the more custom the better! Never done a project with this much meaning to another person, especially since he doesn't know that we took the truck, and his wife told him that she had it hauled off!!

2. You seem confused. LS stuff is not really what we are into here, but "bright metallic paint" is kosher. I see you do not understand this board so your questions are contradictory and baseless.

3. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

While I understand that LS stuff is not the norm here, thou it is very reliable, and in tune with the end goal of a "reliable daily driver" I am not set on a path. that is the reason to ask.

I guess what I am asking is if it would be better in this instance to do more of a resto-rod (mostly stock, with some updates) or go completely custom, with every trick that I can throw at it....

The reason the LS engine is mentioned is due to the more modern custom side of building, not as an insult to the tradition.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'd say build it with the essence of an old truck. Keep the straight axle, have it dropped. Remove a couple of leafs from the rear. Keep the 235 or 283, do a pertronix inside the cap and maybe one of the simple injection setups for driveability. Throw a T5 trans in it. A nice, comfy aftermarket bench seat that doesn't look too out of place. Pick a modern paint color similar to what it has worn most of it's life. Fully rebuilt, it should go a long time before it needs attention again.

Devin

6. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

if its reliability you seek, you have found the right place. contrary to popular belief. when the cars we love so dearly were new they were driven everywhere, rain or shine. mothers, fathers, grandparents and even the occasional child drove all over gods green earth in these things.

since thats the case, why on earth do you think you need some electronically controlled microsoft on wheels to be able to drive around?

i do like the cut of your jib, you came in a little shaky on the landing. admitted you would like to do better and are willing to listen. good for you.

now im going to bed before my tired eyes fall outta my head....

p.s. it takes one hell of a lot to kill a chevy smallblock. 283, 305, 307, 327, 350, 383, you just cant go wrong. parts are everywhere and cheap. simplicity in its greatest form

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds like a great truck as is. What about just restore it (new shiny paint and interior) and hop up the motor/trans with some cool vintage appropriate speed parts?

8. nummie

nummie

x2 with stude_trucks.

make her shiny, find some old speed parts, repack the bearings and put her on the road!!

9. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

I think I like the ideas, so here is what I am picking up from you guys so far:

Still shorten the bed, or find another bed (this is the plan, as this one is BEAT)
    Re-do kingpins, wheel bearings wheel cylinders etc
    Go small block/auto (for ease)
    Straighten, paint back close to original color, and spend the time on the details, such as an original interior, and real period items.
    I like the fat whites and steelies on the FRANKE pickup, os those are a go, and then just pull some leafs, and make sure it is basically back to restored.

I will probably shave all of the trim pieces, go solid color orange since that was the original.

Thanks guys! !

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sounds like you are getting a fine (and H.A.M.B. friendly) plan, post some pictures as the build progresses. i like ones with some history like this.

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I think you should consult the family and ask for their input on what personality the truck should have.

12. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

my cousin picked this up not long ago. runs and drives fine. he hasnt done much but throw the wide whites on and tune up the engine. im just adding it for another reference point since it can seem overwhelming diving into oldie stuff...trucks especially!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Scott F.

Scott F.

Pick up a case of beer and you and your friend head over to his dad's place. Get to having a few drinks and then work the talk around to the old truck. When he laments his wife having it hauled off you can ask him what he would have liked to do with it if it were still around. There's your build plan. Oh yeah, finish the case of beer.

I should get paid for these ideas! :rolleyes:

Scott

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I would just subframe it and paint it ,+ shorten the bed ....Get it to them as quick as possible.355 rear nice 406 smallblock and a nice interior ,But keep it original He's older and might not want all the trick stuff .

15. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

I did a 58 for a guy before, but it was a rust bucket when we started, and I spent Months doing sheet metal work, and getting the body right, then we did the subframe, and a nice 327, with an 8.5 10 bolt posi in the rear with a 327. I loved the way that the truck came out, but it is sort of cliche to me to basically build the same truck over...

I like the beer and the talk idea. That is what I am going to do when I get back home. That is a creative way to do it, without coming out, and asking and sounding like something is afoot. He knows that I am hard into the cars. I had his son on a dyno putting down over 500 at the wheels before he could even buy a beer! !

Thank you H.A.M.B ers for the advice. Now i just have to convince my wife that she wants a gasser, and I will have my year complete! !

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

The main thing is................... get paid.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  17. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

I never charge anyone.... I do it because I love to do it, and I work 90+ hours a week, about 8 month a year, and take the other part of the year off...

It is kind like golf to some people.

18. belair

belair

Keep it simple and clean. Tailor the build to the driver, not your tastes.

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Amen to that. Keep it as original as possible, ultra-reliable, and, don't worry about "what I did to the last one like this"...different owner, different circumstances.

Just make it into a cool, comfortable, reliable driver, and you will have respected & updated the original version of what the truck was made for: this truck wasn't purchased to run at El Mirage, or the Lions Dragstrip, it was purchased to be used, driven & appreciated on a daily basis by a revered member of this particular family.

You've got a great piece of History in your hands, tread lightly, keep it clean...and stay safe during the build.

All the best to you !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

20. Italianrich

Italianrich

I agree with belair, simple, and what he would want, not you. he will appreciate your work and effort much more than the extra trick stuff on it.
    And these "old time" hamb guys bustin your balls, its their game, they think just because you dont have wide whites, a ligtningholed sunvisor(real original) that your not Kool-note the sarcastic misspellling of any word that would require a "c" or an "s"
    Build it how you want it.....its your build...
    Just my 2 cents
    Rich

21. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

thats kinda a dick answer and doesn't help the guy out does it.
    why the snobbery? I was under the inpression that hot rodders liked rods of all sorts. It's not like he is asking about an tuning an import on the hamb.

I think stude trucks has some good thoughts.

22. Scott F.

Scott F.

You're welcome, now as payment chip me off a sixer of something unique to Texas and send it north!;) haha

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Simple and clean... equals... timeless machine....

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nothing dick like about it, you're just sensitive. He was straight to the point and honest. This is not a generic hot rod site, it's about traditional hot rods and customs. And it seems that you need to do a little reading so you understand what it's all about.

He definitely needs to talk to the owner about the truck.

25. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

I'm about a sensitive as 80 grit. I just don't like when people give guys smart ass comments when all they are looking for is a little help.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

We don't offer that kind of help. :p It's like going to a Mustang site and asking about Camaros. That's why people should learn to lurk and figure out what the site is about before running off at the mouth. And you are being sensitive. :eek:

27. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I'm guessin' that Ol' Dad is gonna want to drive the truck once completed. The LS motor is dead reliable and super strong. I'd use one in a minute! Have one in my '39 sedan now and wouldn't consider changing it. Let Dad have fun with it!!

28. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Maybe thou can have thy traditional cake and eateth of it too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Looks good to me! Tell folks it's a Studebaker motor!