Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. From what I have read, its the ex T.H. Mir. Power,
    mlight9

2. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yep, it's Tommy's second Hillegass sprinter, now owned by Lowell Behner and mostly driven by Art Plas from Ohio. The picture is from 1960, and it looks like Allentown, JT's last "green flag" :(

Notice how his car owner's name is misspelled on the hood... :eek:

3. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Well, I guess it's all relative when you come from the back of 24 wins in 25 starts, but the THE car was easily one of the most successful in the 22 months it ran 1949-51; and if I'm not very much mistaken it even won the Eastern Owners Championship in 1950. I count thirteen wins and eighteen fast times, second only to Aggie's #98jr... and the Malloy, when driven by Ruttman. :)

4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

"Baby" is a name that was probably invented by Russ Catlin for his Horn bio, and it has stuck ever since 1949; "Jewel Box" on the other hand I've never seen outside of this thread and an article in an 80s magazine. Both terms describe the same car, the 1939 Ted Horn Sprinter, as seen in the left picture of Rootie's last post. The right picture shows Ted's Champ Car, the former Blauvelt/Haskell Miller, sometimes called "Beauty" - another name that seems to have been coined by Catlin.

For an attempt at sorting out the various Ted Horn cars by yours truely, see http://www.oldracingcars.info/marques/indy/sprint-cars/1946-ted-horn/. :)

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

After leaving Simonek, Schindler went on to become a 'movie star' of sorts. Picking up a ride in the Wolfe...errr.... "Brannon"... Spl. at Arlington Tx. 1950. This was the car that Clark Gable (aka Mike Brannon) "drove" to fame and fortune, all the while winning the heart of Barbara Stanwyck in the movie To Please A Lady.

Attached Files:

6. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Michael,
    Thank you I Knew Plas drove it but I could not remember who owned it.

7. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Williams Grove Oldtimers @ Williams Grove Speedway from the 1985 convention. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Len Duncan at the wheel!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Has any been to the Darlington swap? Any good?

Anyone going this weekend? How many are taking cars down?

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

We just arrived in Darlington tonight. We brought Two cars. I was told the entry list was turned in earlier this week and it was bigger than ever. Also, rumor is the Sprint car and Midget class is 30 strong!!

Haven't been to the track yet. Gotta meet there in the morning and get started setting up.

I'll give full reports nightly!

Until then, watch this video of Cale run a HARD lap back in the day..

(It's not open wheel, but I'm sure you can appreciate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XxDrbQjyDw&feature=related

J Shaw

10. Miller27

Miller27

Hi Wynns #1, actually I'm looking for any pictures of Buck Buckley, I know Buck very well and have seen a few pictures at his shop before he closed it up last year, I know Buck won alot of races with the URC, I think when he started building his own cars back in PA. he was running the cars orange with the #4........ thanks Marty.

11. racer5c

racer5c

Leaving Indy in 2 hrs!!

12. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Have fun down south, wish I could be there.
    Lee

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  13. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Miller 27,
    Near the end of his career, he drove for Roland Willis who used the #4. Buck drove for me for 4 years which carried the #2 and 1 year #8. I would think the Greenawalt family might have some material. I can check my stuff and see if I can help you.

14. Miller27

Miller27

Wynns #1, that would be very kind of you, I look forward to seeing what ever you can dig up. Thank again, Marty Miller.

15. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

I'll see what I have too.
    Lee

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

17. KK500

KK500

Question: did any of the current Sprint Cup drivers' FATHER build sprint cars?
    We are trying to track Benny Rapp's Russell Bros #34 car of early '70s, and Benny cannot remember 'cept he thinks it was the guy in question.

P.S I know it's not pre-'69 but I'm guessin this guy was alive pre-69 ..........close enuf?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Attached Files:

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Two that come to mind, that might have built a sprint car in the early 70s are Lou Blaney and Buzzie Rutimann.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know what, if any, relation Jason Leffler is to him (and he has run some Sprint Cup) but the #34 car sure looks like a Paul Leffler creation.

20. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Years ago I went to a midget show at IRP and Chuck Weyant was driving an Edmonds car that looked like a conventional four bar but also had parallel bars on the rear. He had all the bars hooked up on the right rear with the explanation that that was the only way he could get the car to quit bottoming on that long of track.

21. KK500

KK500

Thanks Rootie.........I was thinking Leffler. Will get back to Benny this week.
    Jim

22. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's a sample of some of the action from Williams Grove Speedway's EMMR & Penn Mar Vintage car show on 9-3-2010. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jakearoo92

jakearoo92
    from Indy

No, Greg is my uncle. I am Chris Beck's son. My dad owns a restoration business called XFab in Indy. He's doing a lot of vintage race car work, we just got a Lola T150 and a McClaren M16. Greg still owns Beck Motorsports and my grandpa Roger lives in Hemet, CA now.

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Great pics Lee! I met your ol' man today!

Great guy!

25. Race Artist

Race Artist

Here's a couple of shots of mine from the recent race car show at Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, NJ. Sorry, I don't have any information on the cars.
    Joel

Attached Files:

26. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Thanks... He loves racing.... I'm sure he bent your ear. :rolleyes:

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Naw.. he was great! Actually I was to damn busy fixing an oil vent leak on the Ellison #49 I didn't get to talk to him much.

On a side note here is Racer5c staged and ready to make some laps in the Shaw spl.

(He was suited up, and ready to strap in to the Ellison but the skies opened up and rained out the last session) :cool:

Sorry Roy, we'll get ya in there some other time.

Also, We were able to give Andy Hurtubise a few HARD 100mph+ laps in the #49.. check the lower pics.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Andy looks pretty good in the Travelon.

29. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Thats good Josh, pictures look great from Darlington, Andy looks at home behind the wheel. Dad said you were a little busy.

30. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

The Next Old Timers event I have on my calendar is ...

THE OLD BRIDGE (NJ) STADIUM SPEEDWAY REUNION at the Thomas Warne Museum .. 4216 County Route 516 (Old Bridge Matawan Road) .. on October 9th & 10th .. 10 AM to 4 PM.

Do you remember the ARDC midgets, URC sprint cars, the modified & sportsman stock cars, the Old Bridge Drags? Well stop by and re-live the THRILLS and FAST CARS from yesteryear!!

Films, Racing Historians, Dioramas and Memorabilia Collections all celebrating "THE FASTEST TRACK IN THE EAST"!!!
    Food & Fun!!!

$5.00 for adults ..... $3.00 for children under 12

For more information ..
    1-732-566-2108 or http://www.thomas-warne-museum.com

The Thomas Warne Museum is the home of the Madison Township Historical Society, serving Old Bridge Township, NJ

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010