Register now to get rid of these ads!

History City says GET RID OF THE CARS! FINES! What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLBILLY, Sep 21, 2010.

1. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

The wonderful little city iI live in has put me on notice!
    You know its being talked about in most of the magazines out right now, which is good, its happening guys, its happened to me.
    I live in a SMALL town, never any problems with the city with cars....ever.
    Till now, they have a codes enforcer and by God he likes his job!
    Thing is whats the law in the town on cars on private property?
    Hell I dont know, everytime i talk to the guy he says something different.
    First he says you can have one inoperable vehicle, now he says none.
    First he says you can cover them.... now he says no.
    First he says if its out of view by a fence .... now he says no.
    First he says it just has to be registered .... now he says no it must also be operable, start up and drive down the road.
    One fellow a block over from me was given 3 tickets and fines totaling near $700.00 and summoned to court. Guess what happens if he dont move the cars?
    I know some of you may say call the Mayor! Tried that, guess who she says to talk to..... Codes Enforcer.
    I would like to see a copy of these laws, he says they are on the city website, I cant find them. ( www.mymorristown.com if you wanna check, maybe I missed them? If you find them let me know!)
    Me? I had one car at home (57 Chevy), been here for years, I just moved it inside my building across town after the threats.
    Thing is tho, alot of the other guys I know dont have anywhere to take their cars, I feel really bad for them.

My point to all this is whats being said in the magazines this month (Rod & Custom I got) its happening guys, if it can happen in a tiny little city in east Tennessee you can damn sure bet your town is next.
    PLEASE take a look at the SEMA action Network website and sign up, I did, but I'm afraid it might be too late for us here.
    www.semasan.com

2. It's been a law here for several years and it's goning to get worse everywhere.HRP

3. 65COMET

65COMET

They have been doing the same thing here in the city I live in.They will even bust you if you are working on your daily driver,they busted my neighbor while he was doing a brake job!!!!! ROY.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

your city has to produce its rules to you..
    go to the city hall and ask them to give you a copy, than read them completely..

if they cant produce the rules..they sure as hell cant enforce them ,,rightfully

I try to hide my shit from view, I dont want to piss off my neighbors any more than i want to look at a bunch of their shit either.

2 car garage and a 30X32 pole barn , all i got left outside is a 12x5 trailer full of swap meet shit..once thats gone..no one will know what goes on here, and thats the way I likes it..fly under the radar

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010

5. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I agree its gonna get worse, and what I have seen is most people think by being quiet about it you can fly under the radar with these people.
    Dont work like that, these laws were passed in our town and we didnt even know, guess we should have been paying more attention to our elected.

On a funny note tho, i was "questioned" about the "scrap" metal in my back yard....... its the original all metal tilt frontend from the 57 Gasser I had at the house........ I told him it was a doghouse, he said "Oh ok" :D

Attached Files:

6. jroberts

jroberts

HOTRODPRIMER is absolutely correct. It is going to get worse. I went through this several years ago. Finally I moved out of town in the country. Now some folks out in the more rural areas are getting hassled as well. Around here they have to be registered and licensed and look presentable. No flat tires.

7. Freaknlow

Freaknlow

Our city has a strong code enforcement policy. But, there are little loopholes around it. As for him telling you that you can't move them to the back yard behind your privacy fence out of sight is just a lie. Honestly, they never really continue to harass someone unless a neighbor is harassing them about not wanting to see the cars. I do know that our policy here is that you can have any amount of cars in the front yard (running or not running) as long as you have them registered. Once they're registered you can put them wherever the hell you want. A way to keep them off your back also about them needing to be a running veh, is just move it around your yard every couple of days.

They can't bust anyone for doing a brake job. That may not have been code enforcement that made contact withy our friend, but rather he may have been violating the rules of the neighborhood. Most newer neighborhoods prohibit that stuff because they think it makes their area look bad to potential home buyers.

They have to produce a copy of the law if you ask for it. Most city halls have a copy of the city codes at the front desk. If not, go to the local PD and ask for a copy.

These laws have been the city code for numerous years. They're not new. It's just that they're becoming a scapegoat for the city to make extra money on the side by pulling out the old laws and enforcing them. And they're getting support on it from citizens in the city that just look for something to complain about. Now...the county is different. If you live in the county, you have no code enforcement. So don't let em try to throw that one on you. If a city code enforcement officer shows up at your house in the county you need to tell him to return to his jurisdiction.

I've got a pretty good idea of how it all works....i'm a Sheriffs Deputy in our county. haha

8. rockinokie

rockinokie

In my buddy's driveway, in the middle of town, he has a 30 chevy, 55 chevy, 59 thunderbird, 53 buick, 59 Buick, 49 or 50 ford and a couple motorcycles and scooters. I asked him if the city gives him hell and he said as long as he keeps the tires aired up they can't do anything. It really is funny tho... you can see his house 2 blocks away because all the cars. Hopefully they leave him alone but I could see where he may have trouble in the future.

9. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

i don't know the reasoning behind some of the new laws, but i've been hasseled by code enforcment for my private plate home-brew tow truck. i don't use it on a daily basis like i used to, so i unbolt the towbar when not in use. it's a big PITA but what else can you do? one thing is, it's all complaint driven the way i understand it. if you've got a neighbor on the prod, they'll likely just find something else to bitch about.

10. nwaringa

nwaringa

Everybody loves them when they are done... nobody wants to respect the process and work it takes to get them there.

Would be good to be a garage builder in the coming years.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

I live in Sumter county in Florida,here ,if its parked in your yard it has to be tagged and insured or you can pay them $100 for a 1 year piece of paper saying you are restoring it,Hell even motor homes have to be covered or in storage,its all about the money,was going to put a 45 ft semi trailer on ground for storage,county said I couldn"t do it,sold the thing ,2 weeks later while out on my bike here sits my trailer in the guys yard,he did the same thing as I had planned.Went to the permit office,come to find out this guy was a county commissioners nephew. Its all about the money and who you know.

12. Fenders

Fenders

This was in my front yard for the past three months... slooooowly getting parted out.... what was left in the "after" photo was sold yesterday...
    Last year it was a '55 Desoto.
    The neighbors seem to think its interesting and somewhat amusing...
    It's a nice neighborhood....

Attached Files:

13. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I think Clint Eastwood has the best idea. They can take my cars after they take my guns:

Attached Files:

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep, city hall can either give you a copy or there isn't one. No copy means no code. In that case I would sue for harassement.

15. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I got hassled by the City for having a non-op car in my driveway. I had to scrap out a pickup that I was working on, to move the 1st car into my garage. I call her the city "beautification"NAZI. I think they had to lay her off though, cuz they're nearly bankrupt, they built a new fire station downtown and it's sitting empty. They will be back with a vengeance someday

16. Fenders

Fenders

Did you register your vehicles with the town? This is all I found in your Code (chapter 15):

15-1401. Applicability of chapter. The provisions of this chapter shall
    apply to those persons living within the city. (1979 Code, § 9-1301)
    15-1402. Registration of vehicles. All owners or operators of vehicles to
    which this chapter is applicable shall register such vehicles with the chief of
    police annually, and shall pay the license fee levied by this chapter. (1979 Code,
    § 9-1302)
    15-1403. Amount of license fees. Each person registering a vehicle as
    required by this chapter, shall, at the time of registration, pay the following
    license fee for each vehicle registered:​
    (1) For each automobile, three dollars ($3.00)
    ...... etc

Seems if you pay the three bucks, you're good to go.
    There might be something in the Zoning ordinances but I couldn't find the zoning rules on the town's site.

17. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

Here in the small town where population is 2900 people we have a code enforcement officer. He is a pain in the ass he thinks he is a police officer. He is just retired senior citizen that the city hired and over steps his boundary once awhile so most go to the mayor or the police chief and the harassment stops . Three or 4 months down the road he is back at it again. He would site you if you had your car for sale in front of your house. . You can park there for 24 hours , then you need to move it. He thinks that any amount of time is to long and if it has a for sale sign with phone number he calls your house tell you to get off the street or it will be towed. He is a true wannabee has badge and no brains he needs to read the city codes for parking sorta like the health care bill. Time for the man again. And yes you should be able to go to city hall ask a copy of city ordinances. But if it wasn,t for the city we would have abundance of junk cars and and a sorted unknowns in front yards and parked in the street .

18. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

....and this is one of the main reasons I live out in the middle of nowhere.

19. agtw31

agtw31

a lot of cities and counties are thinking of new ways to generate revenue,since their tax revenue and traffic ticket revenue has fallen off.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

there is also another way to go at this..takes a little time..but it sure can shut them up if you do your homework right..

Go around your town and find any other types of violations, (even if they are not related to this type) take pictures, and document how long these "other" things have been like this..

than when they come to you about your shit..tell them..i will do what you want , when all these others get it done too..
    if they keep hounding you and all those other infractions are not delt with,, you have a classic case of harassement, and should sue or at least threaten to do so..that might shut em up..

Try and find some infractions on the cities own property..and of other types of infractions that have been ignored, not necessarily your Builder buddies and their stash..in other words dont attack your own kind..try to steer away from that entirely

getting satisfaction when you point out how lax they have been on other rules, lets them know , you know how to play hard ball

21. And worse and worse and worse........ None of these cities/towns have any money. Fines bring in money. Lots of fines bring in lots of money. Hot rodders are going to feel the pinch.

22. The town I used to live in once had a problem about my wifes 55 Cadillac sitting in the driveway. Needless to say it wasnt that attractive. Anyway, one day I am working on the car and somebody from the town says that the car is an eyesore and it either has to go or be garaged. My 75 yr old neighbor comes out and asks whats going on and I tell him that town wants the Cadillac gone. My neighbor tells the guy..." You tell the Mayor that if he wants the car gone, Ill make sure the seniors in town make sure he is gone in 7 months too!".

I never got bothered again. My neighbors liked me cause in the NJ winters I would use my snowblower and clear everyones driveways and sidewalks for free.

23. Learn your local laws,codes,covenants etc. They can be used against the complaining party just as easy as against you.;)

First guy that built in our developement liked to think he was what I call "Mayor of smallville" he tried to pass off covenants that he wrote and never filed with the county. He even went so far as stocking the info box with them when lots were still being sold! More than one person found out about this after they purchased and moved in.

24. Sounds to me like it will be cheaper to retain an attorney. I usually get around the code nazis myself but an attorney usually makes them come up with the real scoop on what is the actual code that they are trying to enforce. And never just pay the fine make them see you in court and then the appeals court etc. get your money's worth out of them.

25. 2002p51

2002p51

As a result of this thread I went to the city's website here in Kingsport. I couldn't find anything specific about vehicles on private property. That doesn't mean we here are safe, I suppose.

But at least if something like this does come up I can ask to see the specific code and there won't be one.

Of course, right now I don't have any non-op vehicles outside. (1 in the garage).

But that could always change if the "right" project should come along! ;)

26. Your Ordinance 16-121 talks about abandoned vehicles on the right of way. In our area the right of way is 60 or more feet wide even though the paving may only be 22 feet wide leaving 19 or more feet on each side that would appear to be private property. In reality it is public. I couldn't find anything in your ordinances that defines what even is a nuisance vehicle. There may be language that adopts your county or township ordinances in their entirity or in part as well as the ordinances of the city. The regulations may very well be there. Your city ordinances are pretty sparce compared to most so that may be the case.

It can be frustrating but you need to maintain courtesy, tact and diplomacy in these sorts of situations. Getting mad at Barney Fife isn't going to help. Go down to city hall and ask where you can find the laws regarding zoning and residential nuisances and explain what you are trying to find out and why. The person handling zoning issues or land use planning may be a good source. Sometimes there are separate construction and housing standards, I didn't see any in the ordinances except electrical.

Good luck, keep us posted.

27. rockinokie

rockinokie

+1:d

28. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

my shit ain't junk .
    been going on here for a long time . I think the code enforcer is at the bottom of the food chain here.if ya know what i mean. Basterd.

29. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

VOTE!
    Mayor
    City Council
    Dog Catcher
    Enforment Officer

Any body that has to do with the city. But know how they are going to vote!

30. I moved outa town into the desert just because of this crap,NO ONE bothers us out here (yet) I would contact SAN (sema) and get your ducks in a row and find all the other guys gettin nailed by this asshat and file a class case if possible.yeah its time to find a car friendly laywer and fight back,I gotta love it here in Arizona #1 we dont get shit bout our cars and #2 the state lets us ALL carry guns conceled or not without permits,to defend our selfs/rights.......MAYBE SET THEM IN THE YARD AND CALL THEM ART...THAT WOULD PUT THEIR PANTIES IN A BUNCH

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010