Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. Muttley

Muttley

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Some Thunderbolt action. Jim Calvert and his A/S Fairlane wins at the US Nationals.
    Cool stuff Jody

[​IMG]

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thunderbolt action
    [​IMG]

5. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Cool 64 Fairlane

THUNDERSALT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;what an awsome race!!!! Those two were welded together,the T-bolt was just a hair quicker and faster!!!! ROY.

7. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here are a couple more photos of the Phil Bonner car when Fred Lorenzen drove it match racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. spiertb

spiertb

Does anyone have any pics of the T-Bolts that were at Indy for the Nationals last weekend--I've seen the video of Calvert's--awesome. Syl

9. Do you have anymore of Phil's white car?

10. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Here are some of the Special Display - Ford Drag Team.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

11. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Looking for information or photos of a factory sponsored and H-M-S prepared Thunderbolt that ran at the 1969 Winternationals in Pomona.

Allegedly driven by Wayne Gapp entry #933, ran in SS/D class and went out in the first round running against Bill Jenkins in his 68 Camaro that won class, see attached entry list and class winner list.

The only mention found in magazines to date, was in Apr 1969 Car Craft, see attached.

Depending on who you talk to there are different stories, whether this car actually participated or not.

If anyone has a National Dragster collection from 1969 and has information on the Winternationals SS/D class ladder or entries. Or anyone that may have been there and took photos, or know of a photo source.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. HELP!...Not sure if this T-bolt has been identified! Front bumper looks correct and mounted high, long ladder bars, rear window clips/hold downs,interior color and tach look correct, glass doors (no key lock), rear wheel well opening in front of slick looks right! Maybe the "eye" painted on the tear drop scoop will help out! Also appears to have a tunnel ram scoop mounted on top of the tear drop scoop? I believe the "Fugitive" had an "eye" painted on the scoop as well? How many T-bolts had "eyes" painted on their scoops? Please let me know what original car this is...number/driver/dealership etc....:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  13. Falconred

Falconred

Dennis, have you asked Bobby Spears? I saw his name on the entry list.

14. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

With the F/B Mustang in the background this certainly was not 1964. Former Ed Martin Ford - Don Turner #3 car.

Regards,
    Dennis

15. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Yes, quite some time ago. His car is in some of the photos taken by photographer Les Welch at the 1969 WNats. However, all Bob recalls was the 70 WNats which he won.

Regards,
    Dennis

16. Falconred

Falconred

You coming to ODDR at Panama City, FL?

17. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Falconred:

Wayne Gapp did drive an H&M prepared Thunderbolt in the '69 Winternationals. Wayne, (who was my neighbor, fellow Ford racer and Ford Employee) and I were both campaigning in AHRA, Wayne in Gas Funny Car and I in Ultra Stock. We were asked by Emil Loeffler (Ford Drag Race Director) to come to Pomona to lend a hand in NHRA. I was assigned to drive Ed Terry’s ’67 Fairlane, and Wayne was assigned to drive the Thunderbolt. A used, very rough Thunderbolt was bought and shipped to the Bill Stroppe Shop in Long Beach (Bill Stroppe had partnered with Holman Moody at the time) arriving about a week before the Winternationals. The Stroppe crew had their work cut out for them, as the car was in such poor condition, and they had very little time to try and get it ready. In fact, it was like an “Overhaulin” episode getting an engine built from scratch, and rebuilding the car, including a purple paint job like the original Thunderbolt Drag Team Batch. Wayne and I were completely exhausted when race day came, had no practice in these cars prior to qualifications, and they were much different as to the level of race preparation than what we were used to in our respective AHRA cars. We both went out the first round against our individual opponents. If we had had more time to properly prepare the cars and do some testing prior to the event, I am sure the outcomes would have been different. To his credit, Wayne took on an almost impossible assignment, and did the best he could under very difficult circumstances. Wayne, of course later showed his skill and went on to fame and fortune under conditions in which he had more control over. The Thunderbolt was sold after the event, and I do not know what became of it. I do not have pictures of the event. I attached a photo of my usual ride, a nine second '69 Mustang.

Attached Files:

18. John Witzke

John Witzke
    from Iowa

Hello I am new to the board. I am in the process of building several 1/25th scale 1964 Thunderbolts. Can someone please help me with the original color Hubert Platts 1964 T-Bolt?

19. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Dave,
    I, and I'm sure I speak for others here, really appreciate your input to this thread. It sure adds texture to the story.

Anyone have any idea which T-bolt this was?

20. spiertb

spiertb

My research info says that the T-Bolt raced at the '69 Winternationals was the Gilmar Ford T-Bolt currently owned ( I believe) by Dennis K. Syl

21. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Looking for information or photos of a factory sponsored and H-M-S prepared Thunderbolt that ran at the 1969 Winternationals in Pomona.

Allegedly driven by Wayne Gapp entry #933, ran in SS/D class and went out in the first round running against Bill Jenkins in his 68 Camaro that won class, see attached entry list and class winner list.

The only mention found in magazines to date, was in Apr 1969 Car Craft, see attached.

Depending on who you talk to there are different stories, whether this car actually participated or not.

If anyone has a National Dragster collection from 1969 and has information on the Winternationals SS/D class ladder or entries. Or anyone that may have been there and took photos, or know of a photo source.

Regards,
    Dennis[/QUOTE]

I am glad that Dave Lyall responded to my inquiry. However, I also have the additional information to this story:

The third owner of the former Gilmer Ford, Wayne Blackwood, did sell the T-Bolt back to Ford Motor Co. through a deal with Emil Loeffler. After Wayne sold the car, Emil wanted to know when he going to deliver it to Dearborn. Wayne said that was not part of the deal, so Ford arranged for Hubert Platt to haul it up to Dbn. BTW, speaking with Platt he does not ever recall doing this. After the car was delivered, Wayne received a call from Ford wanting to know who removed the correct four speed and replaced it with a Muncie transmission. Wayne suggested they speak to Platt about that.

Speaking with Emil Loeffler, he confirmed buying the car, but only handled the paperwork and never actually saw the car.

Somehow the T-Bolt (or someone's T-Bolt) was then sent out to H-M-S, where it was at their shop being worked on. Speaking with Randy Payne, he also recalls seeing it there.

Speaking with Arlen Whittington, he also recalls the car but mentioned during testing at a rented track the week before the WNats, the car was having carburetor problems and wasn't running correctly. Because of this, Arlen wasn't certain if they actually ran the car in competition.

The twist to this story is many years ago talking to Billy Williams, he said it was his second Thunderbolt that Ford borrowed to run and that he got it back with the engine blown up and Ford compensated him by replacing it with a new 427 engine.

Many years ago, I spoke to Wayne Gapp and he indicated he was to drive the T-Bolt, but didn't as the car was having problems.

So this is why I am looking for photos, a ladder list of SS/D class, or National Dragsters covering the 1969 Winternationals to help corroborate which Thunderbolt actually ran there. Who knows, maybe even both cars ran there.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  22. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

A friend told me a story of a Thunderbolt that he remembers being in Lambertville MI back in the 70's.
    It was owned by Gordon "Butch" McCloud.
    It was one of the maroon cars and had some front end damage. Maybe the front end had even been stretched.
    He thinks it was sold in the early 80's.
    Does anyone know anything of this car?

23. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Dennis:

I clearly remember the thrash getting the T-Bolt ready for Wayne, and I remember we had all sorts of problems with the car. I also remember driving Ed Terry's Fairlane in eliminations, as the car porpoised very violently and was difficult to drive. However, I do not remember if Wayne actually ran eliminations in the car. I also remember our joint disappointment with our NHRA effort, and frustration in not being properly prepared.

In fact, during the flight home I remember Wayne’s wife and I sitting next to each other eating our dinner, (I am old enough to remember when they actually served you a decent dinner on an airplane) but I do not remember Wayne being on the airplane.

<O:pEmil, Hubert and I often partied pretty hard together, so might have killed off some brain cells. Wayne would drink and beer or two with us, but again to his credit he was not into partying or staying out late.

Dave Lyall

24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Yes! This was the former Bob Ford Inc. A/MP "T-Bolt Too" car that Jerry Harvey drove at the 64 Nationals. Paul Harvey sold the car to Tony Cicerella (sp?) Sunset Fireworks in Toledo it was then painted a red or orange color. The car then went to Butch McCloud. Bob Trevarrow bought the car in 80 or 81, it was maroon then. See photos.

Bob was my best friend and we raced together until he passed away prematurely in his early 40's from a heart attack in 1992. At the time he owned three original Thunderbolts, two of them Drag Council cars with fiberglass doors.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

25. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

Thanks Dennis, for your quick response. I was sure that if anyone knew of this car, you would.
    The guy who told me of this car, was a friend of Butch McClouds brother.
    He remembers the car in pieces on the floor when the were young guys.

26. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Dave,

Thanks for the update. Well, I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a copy of National Dragster to see if there are any additional details re that race or of photographs taken. Allegedly, the Thunderbolt had to run Jenkins in the first round. I would of figured that the magazines and photographers would of documented every move of Bill's.

I've heard some wild stories about the Silver Bullet (Emil) and the Hertz rental car being trashed by some of the other Ford guys at one of the WNats events.

Wayne Gapp's son used to visit this site, perhaps he will chime in with some additional information from his dad about the Thunderbolt and this event.

Before we know it, it will be 2014 and the 50th Anniversary Thunderbolt Reunion. Definitely, another get together of the drivers, owners, mechanics, and cars will be planned.

Regards,
    Dennis

27. Falconred

Falconred

Dennis, you might try over on the HAMB NHRA Junior Stock forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks over there. If nothing else they might have some lists or results to share with you.

28. bubba22349

bubba22349

Was at the 68 & 69 WNats but all I remember is that Ford was showcasing the Cobra Jet Mustangs SS back then. Went to the 70 & 71 WNats too do remember seeing Gapp run a Maverick in than new Pro Stock stock class. You might also look copy's of Drag News used have all the race coverage weekly. No help on the National Dragsters or Drag News my old copies were damaged by water. I ran across this listing for Drag News Magazine on CD-Vol 4 1967 to 1969

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drag...QQitemZ370213813258QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  29. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Dennis:
    Emil and Hubert both were outrageous partiers. Speaking of rental cars, many of us were blacklisted from Hertz. We used to rent cars for amusement purposes, and accordingly treat them like Amusement Park rides. Some nights, I would go through more than one car, having to return it complaining loudly about the agency renting me a car which was obviously in such poor condition. We would be promptly issued another car with an apology. In fact, almost everything we did back in the day would be considered “outrageous” in today’s rule infested, computer tracked, over-lawyered and video-gamed society. In those days, you had to actually do something real to get your kicks, and there were no computers, security cameras, far fewer laws, less police, and society was not as up-tight as today. I cannot even imagine anyone today getting away with a fraction of the stuff we used to do on a regular basis. We had some serious fun back those days. Between races, I routinely laughed until it hurt. We worked extremely hard long hours, and we played just as hard when we had the chance. Dave Lyall<O:p

30. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Dave, does that include stuff like grenades in the outhouses and acetylene filled garbage bag bombs like the old fuel guys used to do? :eek:

I think the statute of limitations has run out so you can say!

Is that Bob in that TBolt picture above? The front wheels have been moved forward but the fenders aren't longe. Is that with a tube axle?