Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Bill, Johnny THOMSON, lived in Boyertown Pa. His boys names all started with D, Daryl, Dale, Dana???. I never knew they ran sports cars. Was aware of the oldest, Dale driving midgets in ARDC with little success.

Tie to Penske new to me.

Are you talking the Thompson that drove Corvettes? Not the midget, Sprint, indy car driver and family?

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I believe that the Thompson who drove Corvettes was Dr. Dick Thompson.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

None of the above, Jack Thompson was a long time SCCA type and owned a car dealership(s) and, as bill wallace said, his son, John, raced F/As, CanAm etc. in the 80s.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Re: Jack Thompson. Proving once again, Google is our friend. :)

[Thompson's love of cars extends past the office. Over the years he has accumulated one of the largest vintage car collections in the country, focused primarily on vintage race cars and European models. He is a member of the Sport Car Club of America and has served as that organization's chief executive steward. Active in his community, Thompson has also served as a board member of the land preservation group Heritage Conservancy, as the title sponsor of the Doylestown Arts Festival, and as a host of the annual Susan G. Komen Drive for the Cure. ]
    http://www.collision-insight.com/news/20090127-aiada.htm

5. Rootie gets the prize, Thompson was a former Lexus dealer but I think has sold out.
    Museum is private, in the Dublin area (south of Quakertown).
    mlight9.

6. racer5c

racer5c

Crocky Wright
    would want me to make sure everyone knows there is NO P in Johnny Thomson's name,

I miss ya Crocky

7. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

There were both a Thomson and a Thompson. Which one are they referring to?

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW- came across a little more info on Pete Wales. Seems he was originally from TX.

Attached Files:

9. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

10. racer5c

racer5c

well this is the sprint car thread lol but I think someone asked a few posts back if they were one and the same

11. Miller27

Miller27

RABs32, Thanks for all these great photos, do you know if you have any more of Buck Buckley in the cool old 2A car, or do you know of anyone that might....Thanks Marty Miller.

12. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

That's all I have at this time, and I personally don't know of anyone else who might have any.......Rich

13. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I was lucky enough to hang out in the Museum several times, due to my freiendship with Jimmy Edwards who restored Thompsons cars. Jimmy was very good at restortations, and before that he worked many years for Ken Hickey. Thompson sure had a ton of dirt champ cars, among other types.

14. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Miller 27,
    Which Buckley 2a were you referring to? I recall his first car was the silver Edmunds, former Moody car, and then he bought the City of Syracuse car, painted it yellow and put 2a on it. After that, the cars he drove were #2.

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

16. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Who is going to Darlington this weekend? Does anyone have a schedule for the weekend?

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Looking for information on the Jungle Park Reunion this Saturday.

Is there a web site or a contact? Saw mention of only 15 cars being there two years ago or so.

Can someone give me an overview of the number and variety of cars?

I'm aware it is static and there is no running other than a "parade" of starter and clutch/gearboxes. Have also been there on my own in the late '90's so it's the cars and the guys that are my main interest.

It's a long tow from Minnesota and I just returned from running Lima, OH 10 hours ago.

18. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

9-20-10: Bill Schindler lost his life 58 years ago today at the Allentown Fairgrounds during a sprint car race. In 4 days it will be 50 years ago since Johnny Thomson was lost at the same track, in the same car.

19. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Winchester Speedway action from August 2010. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Cool photos LG....love the 'vintage' photo of the ELLISON special....

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

'Bronco Bill' Schindler with Horns Jewel Box circa 1949. He never could find the handle on it and it wasn't long before Tommy H. was driving it.

Attached Files:

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

For those of you who don''t know... That's my dad. He doesn't mess with computers so you'll never meet him on here, but if you ever get to meet him in person you'll find out he is a GREAT guy! Plus, I took 5 helmets to try and this one fit him the best! I cracked up at that all weekend!

Thanks Lee! (p.s... how many tries did it take to get the V8 emblems on the hub caps to line up the same!!!)

J Shaw

23. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

"Never could find the handle on it"?

Is that because he "only" won two main events in the three months he drove it, besides three seconds, a third, four fast times (including three track records) and at least another three records in heats and mains after a ten-year lay-off in AAA sprints? ;)

24. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Josh if I tell you how I got the V8's to line up I'd have to kill you, that a trade secret. Ha Ha Ha :D

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Hmmmm:confused:

Attached Files:

26. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Could the Jewell box be confused with Baby?

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A easy mistake to make as they were so similar. The Jewel Box is the car in the pic that Horn is sitting in,note the seperate hood and chrome vents (?) on the lower cowl. The one that Horn is sitting on the edge of the cockpit is Baby, note the one piece hood/cowl and lack of vents.

Attached Files:

28. [​IMG]Just before the green flag,,,,,

29. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Any idea what car the #17 hillegas in the background is?

30. Dan Shaw= Quality BS...I've shared some with him. A fine lad.
    HG :cool: