Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Here's a Bel-Air.

Attached Files:

2. Hebert Racing

Hebert Racing
    from Louisiana

I worked at a restoration shop a few years ago and we had a 1925 Maxwell doctors coupe to restore after going underwater in hurricane katrina. Not sure how rare a Maxwell is but that was the first one we ever saw.

3. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

The rarest i have come across at a friends house was an 1898 panhard-levassor...............

4. alsancle

alsancle

Like this?

[​IMG]

5. alsancle

alsancle

6. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

1917 "Barrie Bell" (Canada) Only one in existance. One "Bell" from Pa. USA. Parts where shipped from Pa. to Barrie Carriage works. The cars were assembled, trimmed and Painted. Only 40 Barrie, "Bells" were made.

The Old Tinbasher

Attached Files:

7. Back when I was in high school my buddy's dad had a 1929 Roosevelt. I remember it because it is the only one I have ever seen and it had a prohibition plaque near the license plate. I believe it had a straight eight as well, although it has been a long time ago.

His dad also had an amphicar of all things.

8. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

bought a car couple years ago that was keenan wynn's. was in movie THE OTHER LOVE,mostly parts,a lot of crazy history about car,controversy is more fun than finishing the car...anyone know anything about car???? was built in 1935 in henry fords garage for the 35 indy race but not run untill 37 as the rawhide special. keenan shown in car in 1947 pop. mech. mag.

9. Well, two of my finds that turned out to be rare (thus my handle: rarerodder) is first a 1942 Hudson Commodore Eight Club Coupe. I just thought the car looked cool and I knew I had never seen one before. Turned out that after I bought it and started getting to know the guys in the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club that it's one of two they have registered. There are several 42 Hudson sixes and eight sedans but only the two 1942 eight cylinder coupes.

Then I stumbled upon a 1930 Pontiac Phaeton that is a Stewart Body (USA) built car and for about 15 years of looking thru the Pontiac Oakland International rosters, networking with countless other early Pontiac owners, and combing the internet/magazines for photos or just mentions of another one, I've found zero. Only one existing? Hope so but if anybody even so much as finds a piece of one PLEASE let me know!

Attached Files:

10. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I found a 1970 Daytona superbird for sale for $3,500 dollars and a one owner 62 corvette for $ 7,500 dollars.

11. krawlin98zj

krawlin98zj
    from NE Ohio

A gentleman I used to work for owns the only known remaining 1911 Lancia Delta race car.

12. hmm have to say an armstrong sidley.. littleish british car with a ford flathead v8. was supposed to be 1 of 3 in the us.. next to that the 2 dakota rag tops i owned.. 2 out of 1000 now if i could just find the other 998 lol

13. One in my collection... 1961 Frisky Prince. One of three known to exist and the only complete one.

Attached Files:

14. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

1927 Rickenbacker sedan. It had been in storage since nearly new and was in excellent condition inside and out. My aunt's neighbor collected old cars most of his life and had them stored in town and on a ranch (both in Western Montana). She talked him into letting me into the building to see the Rickenbacker. Unfortunately, most of his cars sat outside with the usual sad result. My aunt and the neighbor both died some years ago ... I often wondered what became of the cars (such as a '34 Lafayette sedan, '32 Buick coupe, etc.).

15. alsancle

alsancle

Did you buy it at Amelia? I assume we are talking about this one (with Keenan in the background)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

Not exactly sure if this fits in your criteria, but I have a 1930 Dodge DC sedan. Canadian built. Apparently only 700 made it out of the Windsor plant. Something like 5 or 7 in total left in Canada (Counting all the body styles, only 3 are restored so far). First Dodge with eight cylinders.

The day I brought it home;
    [​IMG]

The whole drivetrain is in good shape, but the body had a lot of fiberglass in it and it's missing lots of interior stuff, so it's not getting a resto. Not worth it. Instead it's getting a chevy v-8 and the eight gets a new life on a Model T coupe.

17. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

A 1920-something Dort phaeton. I had never even heard of a Dort before, weren't made for too many years.

18. cadman89

cadman89

OH!

I have seen many rare cars... but the old and extremely rare

"IHAV-ENOIDEAWHA-TITIS"
    is at the top of my list.

[​IMG]

Cadman

19. Saw this at the High Muesum a while back- if I remember correctly, it's a Delage or Delahaye.

Burnin8- you need to let "noboD" know about your Dodge 8- he's a big Dodge fan!!!

20. I love this thing for some reason. Mini cooper pu

21. Wow, that is rare, like as in never made.:rolleyes: The Dodge Charger Daytona was built in '69 and the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird was built in '70. Although both Winged Warriors, they are very different in many ways.;)

22. cadman89

cadman89

This was at the 2007 Amelia Island Concours.

"Idontrememberwhatitwas"

But it looks like something I would love to take for a drive :)

[​IMG]

And this one of Bugatti

[​IMG]

OOOPS!
    Just found this.. It was a "1932 TAV 12 Bucciali"

[​IMG]

Cadman

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  23. cadman89

cadman89

Another great one.. It was owned by Bill Warner at the time...

[​IMG]

Cadman

24. cadman89

cadman89

Late model car guys... how many of you have seen a 1969 Chevelle 427 RS

[​IMG]

Cadman

25. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

There's one in Lorette, Manitoba. First time I saw it I thought it was a custom. Sufficed to say it did not turn my crank.

26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

two weekends ago I stumbled across a 1956 Lincoln MkII. one of about 4000. Very beautiful as it came from the factory. kinda rough, but for sale. I didn't ask how much.

27. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

ive came across several rare cars. but there are three that top the list a hand built 1948 tucker in the high desert of california and also a 1966 mustero these were comissioned and manufactured by beverly hills mustang and were approved as vehicle concepts by ford of america at that time the story goes that beverly hills mustang had several left over gt350 cars that they were unable to sell so they asked ford if they could make a mustang/ranchero ford said yes so they cut about 14 1/2" to 15" out of the roof moved it forward made custom plexi glass windows for driver and passenger then cut the deck lid and welded it to the rear of the body and made a wood bed to go in it there were only 50 made and the last rarest car is a mustang station wagon same sort of situation. then i own several bricklins rare in there own aspect plus i own one prototype bricklin i have ran across a duesenberg limo sitting in a garage and have ran across rare muscle cars and extremly rare engines i found a henry ford experimental x-8 engine and i just bought a 427 sohc with 4-speed top loader for 400 bucks and a trade of a 390 fe block with a c-6 that i paid 50 bucks for:D. then i have seen several cars that gene winfield has built and they are rare in themselves too i love living close to his shop:).

28. Scott F.

Scott F.

When I went to go buy my 53 Dodge it was sitting in front of a very non-descript, squat, white brick building. The guy selling it met me there and we talked about it for a while and made the deal. After that we got to talking about different old cars and he says "You want to see something neat?" He took us inside and it was a total mess of old car parts, books, cars motorcycles, etc. We wound our way through what appeared to be 'general storage' and into a cramped little machine shop with some really cool OLD machines in it. A 90 degree turn through this room and out another door led us into a room with a much higher ceiling and overhead door than the rest of the building. Inside this room was crammed a GIANT car. I'd never seen a car of these proportions before. It was simply enormous. The hood was open and again, I'd never seen anything so massive before. The wheels had to be over 3 feet tall. He told us that it was one of two privately owned in the world. It was a 1911 Oldsmobile. he called it a model Z but I think that it was not actually called a model Z. Rather it was based on the Model Z from 1908-09. Regardless, this thing was beautiful. He said that the owner was a local woman and that he knew for a fact that this car had been driven on a dirt race track at one time at over 60 MPH. SCARY, that kind of size and speed. It was very neat indeed. I believe the pic attached is the car I saw. Pic with lady shows the size of this car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  29. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

When I was a teenager a buddy and I found a garage open at an abandoned house. Inside was a 1930 Star. At least that is what the owner called it, when he came driving up in his car, and threatening to have us locked up for trespassing.