Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anyone mess with boats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mr crocket

mr crocket

I got it from a guy in Washington,Ct a couple years ago as a project. H told me he had a friend I believe at Lake Waramaug in the New Preston,Kent area who is heavy into the Shepherds but I have yet to meet him. I have had Chris"s and Centurys in the past but have allways wanted a 22 Shepherd. This one came avail and the price was right so I grabbed it. I am still thinking of turning it into a Sportsman single forward cockpit of which the factory made only 2 so its hard to find any literature on it for details

2. A bit... I've had a slew of Woodies and a ton of tupperware...

By the way...

B.O.A.T. is an acronym for
    Break Out Another Thousand.

My Dad had the exact model of the Chris as shown below...
    My Neighbor builds these beautiful canoes...
    Then there was my 46 Century with a Grey Phantom six with dual updraft carbs..
    and the same 46 after you throw $10,000 at a Professional to do the bright-work...
    Then my friend Allen Thompson threw a Helicopter T-18 (?) turbine in his tunnel hull but could only muster up 170 in the Quarter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I've got a 72 RaysonCraft flatbottom that has race history down miami way. It was an original factory SK boat (KS146) & later used in SS (SS69)class racing. I've had it for maybe 10 yrs & if I finish my '46 cpe. it's next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0QcuzXb3Y

PACO

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Check out the old wooden Chris Crafts. They are well built to begin with, and if you can find one of the 20 something footers with the early Mopar Hemi you really got something. I owned a 1962 Chris Craft Constellation, 46 foot long, lived aboard her in a marina in San Diego and had more fun than should be allowed. (Then I got married) I miss that boat to this day.
    Wood boats do demand alot of upkeep though, so if you buy one, learn about it quick and take care of it. You won't regret it.

"If God meant there to be fiberglass boats, He would have created fiberglass trees"

5. radio_king

radio_king

This was my first boat,made right here in Finland in 1951.Boy did we have fun with this little thing!!Had to sell it a few years back though to finance other projects.

Attached Files:

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's a real nice start for a project, paco.
    It's in a lot nicer shape than my Stevens was when I picked it up.
    Get that '46 finished up so you can get that Rayson going!!:D

7. alsancle

alsancle

That is a very nice looking boat. How long of a season do you have there?

8. radio_king

radio_king

Thanks!From May `til it`s getting rough around September.I´m glad the current owner is getting it professionally restored,these are getting scarcer.

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

mr crocket, You asked if anyone has any marine running gear?
    I have a 270 marine Hemi turn key, complete ready to run with gear box, shaft, prop and lots of miscellaneous parts to keep running. All taken out of a mid. '50z ChrisCraft
    I tried to send you a PM but either the HAMB or my computer is acting up this morning........

Attached Files:

10. Goinggreen

Goinggreen
    from California

I am the guy Jerry "sold" the boat to. I really think i was an awesome thing of him to do. Most people want gold for what ever they have but Jerry gave me an opportunity not many people get. Not only did he pretty much give me this boat but he welcomed me into his home and let me even use his tools to get it into decent enough shape to take it on its 2 day journey to the bay area. You don't find people that do things like that. I really miss that period of my life. Sadly things aren't as nice as they were around then.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jerry got hurt pretty bad and wasn't able to stay up on the boat. As any wood boat owner knows once you finish varnishing one end the end you started with needs to be varnished again.(Like painting the Golden Gate bridge) So sadly the boat was getting worse. So when I first started on the boat it looked like shit. But it ran, pretty flawless actually. Which was pretty amazing to find an old boat that bad, with new motors in it.

[​IMG]

So after getting it okay ship shape I birthed her in San Rafael. Most of the marinas turned me away because of its condition and big wood boats in Marin is a big liability. A bunch of tweakers would make methlabs on them and blow up and cach on fire, then sink. Then leave the boat underwater. With some weird coast guard fault in thier codes there is no limit to how far you have to have you boat above water. So they would leave it and call it underwater storage and there wasn't much the law could do about it if it was leaking any fluids. So anyways I found a place in the canal that would let me keep it. I didn't like the area. You would know if you from san rafael. But when I would be out sanding it or workin on it I would see other boats go buy and some were woodys. I remember waving a lot because well ive had a lot of boats and boat people wave. But people wouldn't wave a me. Young guy with tattoos workin on a bucket no one from marin wanted anything to do with me. Really made me sad because Im not new to that area and have had several fiberglass sailing boats and always got respect when I was on board one of those. People would even look at me in the begin. I knew they knew I was there, as the were laughing drinkin wine most of which probably didnt even know where there battries where located but what ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after two years of THOUSANDS of dollars and MILLIONS of hours of work, hard work, blood, sweat, arguments, accented, broken body parts, and fights. I got her in pretty good shape. I was almost done. It weird that Ive had many boats. Some big some small. So sail slowly and so go fast. But a wood boat is a part of you like a child ya. Well having a wood boat you can live in is even more crazy. Because in a way she protects you and you become one with boat so much more when you sleep inside of her. She takes care of you more that you take care of her. You don't get hat feeling on a small woody. Way more attachment. Many had good times. On July 2nd I was married at 23yrs old and the next day spend my honeymoon on her in the tiburon and sausalito watched the fireworks on forth of july stting on the custom cushion I had made for her large roof span. Made BBQ smores, played guitars with friends, drink some beers/wine, and slept aboard that whole adventurous weekend all on the 4th of july. Not only a celebration to the greatest country in the world but to the future of two young lovers. What great times.

I remember accidentally backing up over the dingy rope and getting it stuck and still making it back with one engine with no problem. What a great boat. So many moments good and bad. Times when I would get phone calls in the middle of the night like hey your bimini just ripped of or your bidge is constanly pumping out water. So you got get out of bed and drive down to it and get it done in the middle of the night. But not all moments inbetween those and working on it were bad. Moments like laying on the cushin under a blanket with your girl and your favorite dog next to you lookin up at the stars on a clear warm night are moments that make it all worth doing over again.

Unfortunately my luck with her didn't last. What happened sometime after was not my fault but was the fault of the management of the docks in which I keep the boat. It ended with me taking them to court for being responsible for destroying the boat. I remember when I first got the call about the accident my heart was beating out of my chest so much you could see it. When I got there I can honestly say I cried. Im almost doing it now just thinking about it. I put so much hard work and money into. No one help me except the wife from time to time changing the station on the radio. But me all my work and memories. Taken from me because of someone else cheap ass rat bastards negligence. How ever I did do exactly what I told Jerry I said I would do and I did it better. I hope some day he can for give me and we can drink beers and share our storys of the days when we had her.

If you think you know what material attachment is,.. you have no clue
    until you have restored a old big wood boat.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ztV4SFTAWzw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ztV4SFTAWzw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  11. Me,too. Had a '68 Resorter, 318 4bbl. straight drive inboard. Really cool boat. Fiberglas hull with mahogany covering boards. My buddy still has it.

12. sbromage

sbromage
    from Maine

Surprised nobody has brought up Feather Crafts here. Aluminum runabouts made in the ‘50s—amazing lines—“tumblehome”, or “barrelback”, sterns—the greatest ass I’ve ever seen!! There were a couple of great websites dedicated to finding and restoring them, but both have seemed to trickle off and their great photo galleries are gone. But still, to give you an idea:<o></o>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    http://www.feathercraftboats.com/<o></o>
    http://www.feathercraft.net/<o></o>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o>
    </o> But anyway. They seem to me to be the perfect hot rodders boat: beautiful lines, WWII aviation aesthetic, cheap ($1,0000ish for something good to work with), and, critically, light and FAST. Lots of neat vintage outboards to pair w/them, too.<o></o>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o>
    </o> I’ve got a couple of Feather Crafts, as well as a ’42 army Harley (WLA) I restored. I drool over Model A roadster/coupe hot rods but w/three kids under six, I probably won’t have the time, brain, or cash to take that on for awhile. Next project: restore my ’52 Willy’s M38 jeep. It will be ice to pull the FC with, and maybe a good warm-up to a hot rod project for me and the boys. (The M38 was my high school ride until I sank it in a stream…) Then, maybe we’ll make mischief w/my dad’s restored ’31 Model A pick-up…<!--EndFragment-->

Attached Files:

13. moses

moses

boats this is my newest score 1963 tohoe miss 2 seattle cup winner in 63

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Moses, are you joining the Vintage Hydroplane circuit? Did you buy that from Will Muncey?
    Here's some pic's of the F class late '60z Lloyd I am restoring, wil run a Hilborn Inj. 265 per class rules..............

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  15. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW, that's a real nice project you've got goin there, Lon...where'd you find that one?
    Did you ever get anywhere with the Stevens or finding any Nailhead parts you were looking for?

16. retromotors

retromotors

Hi Stu,
    Latecomer to this thread ... just noticed it this morning.

Just a couple days ago I saw a 1954 Feathercraft on the North Mississippi Craigslist. Pretty much the vintage Chris Craft style like in your original post, but all aluminum. Looked pretty bitchin' in the photo ... seems like he wanted about $350 for it.

Alas, when I went to my bookmarks just now the ad had expired! Maybe you could check those search terms once in a while in case it turns up again.

BTW, I'm originally from your neck of the woods (Biloxi). Get down that way once in a while to visit family

17. barry2952

barry2952

Love my '56 CC "Continental". It'll look good behind the '41 Ford Pick-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Progress on the Stevens is moving along, deck & hull are molded in, sanded down. Picked up a 364 Offy trypower intake from Steve C., have 3 Rochesters and looking for carb stacks or surfboard looking scoop. Next is paint than the big cash lay out the interior............................ Will send you some pic's!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  19. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Saw this yesterday at a car/wooden boat show in LaConner, WA. Built in Couer d'alene, ID on a Hacker design in the late 20's. 33ft in length. Originally powered by a 225hp 1051 cid engine it's now been re-fitted w/a 454. AWESOME quality restoration.

Attached Files:

20. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

hey Lon, you keeping secrets? you didnt tell me about that boat. I thought you didnt know anything about wood. Nice boat

21. A friend just restored the one his Dad built in the 50's...:D

Attached Files:

22. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I was up at Big Bear Lake this weekend for the Fun Run and saw this "classic" while out on the lake...if you have to have a boat it may as well be something like no one else has!

Attached Files:

23. southerncad

southerncad

Yeah, along with my Caddy, I'm messin' with 24,000 pounds of teak, she's not fast, but like I always say, "it's not how fast you get there...it's how good you look doing it!":) :)

Attached Files:

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

My old man had one of these wooden boats when I was a kid, he had no money so I was boat maintenance boy. For every hour he sat in that boat winking at fat middle aged women pissing off my mom I spent 40 hours cleaning, sealing, tuning, polishing water proofing that thing. At 18 when I asked to use it he told me it was not a toy, so I told him I was no longer interested in maintaining his toy. Having lost his chief mechanic ass lick deck boy his wonderful mahogany Chris Craft quickly started adding up a 600 dollar per month bill in maintenance and he stopped paying for it to be pretty. As soon as he stopped keeping it pretty the fat middle aged house wives stopped looking at it. It now resides in his back yard as a wonderful condo for squirrels raccoons and varmints, it has sat there for 26 years. He wanted to borrow some cash from me and offered to trade me this mess for a lot of money. I had a quick pain full flash back and remembered exactly why I hate boats. Lease one never own one.

25. MP&C

MP&C

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  26. Has anyone ever heard of a Volksboat? I had 1 a few years ago. It was 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. All fiberglass and had an outboard motor. Looked just like a miniture runabout from the 60's.

27. redtracker

redtracker

i just bought a boat 73 crestliner with a triple carb triple cylinder 70 hors johnson there alot of fun but expensive
    boat stands for

bust
    out
    another
    thousand

28. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Bust Out Another Thousand

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Good one!!!:D

My '65 Stevens is gone :( but I picked up this '70 Donzi Classic that I put a nice hot 383 in this passed winter...it's a lot easier living with the wife with this boat and it's faster than my old flatbottom!!:D

Attached Files:

30. The absolute sexiest Boat in the World...! This was for sale a few years ago and I just couldn't come up with the ching!;)

Twin Allison V-12's to boot!

Most Beautiful thunderbird1.jpg

thunderbird-Favorite Tahoe-keys-marina.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wrzd41sFSm4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wrzd41sFSm4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010