Register now to get rid of these ads!

titles for t buckets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Italianrich, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Italianrich

Italianrich

Im in missouri, getting my rat almost to streetable condition. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to how to go about getting title/plates for it? if I title it as a 27, is a safety inspection required to get plates? Have also heard of guys "obtaining" titles from NY or Michigan. Any info or instruction would be great

Attached Files:

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

1: don't call it a rat.
    2: search. been covered.

3. I don't know much about laws in your state but without an intro and a profile that says you're building a rat rod I'm pretty sure you won't get to much help. I'm just saying.

4. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

The first two things that will make your life alot more enjoyable on the HAMB....The term RatRod goes over like a fart in church around here so I'd drop that pronto, the second is to post an Intro before you get jumped by the intro police. That being said Welcome to the HAMB! As for regestering your ride I would avoid trying to buy a title. Unfortunatly for the rest of you guys in the U.S. my state is kind of leading the way in making it incredibly hard to register a new build and if they find out you bought a title it may only get worse. There was a good write up a few months ago in Street Rodder about registering a new build that lasted for a few issues, that is where I would start.

5. I am not going to tell you how to get a title for your junk rod. But I will tell you a story.

A while back I purchased a jeep from a bank. The bank was not able to produce a title, it is illegal in the state of MO to sell a car without a title but that is a different story all together.

I owed the bank for the jeep because they financed it. I told them that I wouldn't pay them unless they could produce a title and started putting the payments into a savings account so if they came up with a title I would be able to catch the payments up.

They put a mechanic's lean against the jeep. And the state issued them a title no questions asked. Now I didn't own the jeep as it had no title, I ran the vin through DMV and was able to prove that the jeep had been stolen from a St Charles car lot. The state said that they didn't care, I owed the bank for the jeep and they were going to title it to them.

I told the bank that I wasn't interested in owning a stolen vehicle so they sold it to someone else.

Funny thing abut a mechanic's lean anyone can make one in the state of MO.

Anyway I have no idea how you should go about titleing your junk rod. I'm more concerned with the fact that it won't pass inspection. And yes all motor vehicles in the state of Mo have to pass vehicle inspection to be liscenced.

6. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

This would work much better.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think I would have been looking into this way before i got it to the point of being road worthy, or anywhere close to that.

I also love the guys who pour money and time into a project and than realize..oh shit i got no legal papers or anything like that for this huge investment of time and money..so im going to go about it the wrong way..yeah thats it, thats the ticket

cart before the horse? yeah in my book it is.

Rat Rod?..jeazus dude.., really?

hell of a first post ..i guess you have a thing for not following directions eh?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. About as bad as the local guy who took all of his receipts into the DMV here when he was DONE with about a 40,000 car. They shouldn't have but they made him pay sales tax on the car. He had already paid salestax on the parts DOH!!@

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh yeah, now thats bullshit, and i would have been contesting that with each and every dam reciept!

10. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

check with your local MVD for your state laws on tagging. as for naming your car,its your car call it what you like. we are still free back here in the midwest.

11. parts is parts, and what he was trying to license was a CAR;):D that had a value

12. grf-x

grf-x

I am not sure what the guys is MI have told you. Here is MI state of secretary link on the process. Now bare in mind that Detroit's problem has been the Big 3 trying to kill any notion or attempts of the public having any access to custom one off built vehicle or reliable public transportation. If your not buying new... well you get the idea. This is both the OPINION of some people I met from here, and mine (i am a NM transplant to MI).

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1587_1588-25476--,00.html

13. Italianrich

Italianrich

WOW, you all are some sensitive SOB's. I filled out my profile a while ago, I see a few of you actually took the time to check. Why not a rat rod? not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to figure out what you call an old tbucket built from junk pieces?

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hot Rod. Thats what they were way back when, and that's what they are now. A rat rod is usually a totally unsafe piece of garbage and most guys around here have a little more pride in what they build than that.

Maybe go find a rat rod forum if you want to cling to that BS.

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Doesn't look too ratty to me in that photo. coil overs and 4 wheel disc looks more like a safe hot rod type.

17. Cool, but he is in Missouri

18. 1931av8

1931av8

You'll find that guys are pretty sensitive to that Rat Rod term around here. It is considered derogatory. It refers to a hastily built car/truck, generally full of rust holes, and so low as to be a menace to other drivers when the inevitable pot hole is encountered.

From what I see in your pics, you have a Hot Rod. Say it with pride!

I have had guys come to me an say that about my truck because it is currently in primer. Those are fighting words in some circles. The wealth of information here is not worth the battle over words.

Remember:

Hot Rod
    Hot Rod
    Hot Rod

...now you got it!

Tom

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I used Broadway title. I live in Missouri. But My car was pretty much original with the real vin plate. You could cheat the system, but you have a *new* construction. You have to get it inspected as such, unless you buy some old parts, with paperwork, and discard later.

going back to his original post.

20. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

21. Italianrich

Italianrich

I stand corrected fellas, hot rod it is. everyone you try to describe it to calls it a rat since I collected all used/junk parts!!! I talked to a buddy at ST Louis county police, he said that their auto theft division can do some sort of inspection to determine if the car/parts are stolen, then its a matter if filling out another form for the DMV. I do know it has to be a complete running vehicle for any of this to happen. Wish me luck
    Rich

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hotrod it is then and you will in time find that even the shiniest and most coveted of Hambers cars are usually built out of used parts that were gathered here there an yon.
    That tends to be a bit hard to figure out to the .com or 1-800 rodders or the guys who can't comprehend building rods at all and thing that hot cars come off dealers show room floors rated at xxxx horsepower with four years of payments included.

I'm not of the norm in that I really don't give a damn if my home and scratch built hot rod has a 192-- what ever title or a 20--- what ever assembled title as long as the thing is legal to drive in the state I live in and I won't have a hassle on down the road. If you can get the state to title the car as the year and model that the body is or is supposed to be so be it but if you have to go assembled on it it won't hinder the enjoyment of it nor will it make it look any different than you planned, it will still be a T bucket in the long run .
    As far as getting a Missouri title for "custom built" it appears that the biggest hassle might be getting notarized bills of sale for the used components you bought or the major components. That may have to be something that takes a bit of studying if you go that way.

23. RichG

RichG

Good luck.

24. burns5150

burns5150

Man, you gave in way to fast!!...Some of us on here dont care if it is a rat rod or a showcar, as long as it is your car and you are enjoying it. Dont mean to start up another pissing war, but call it what you like and just enjoy what you build, ratrod,hotrod,whatever.
    There are great guys on here, but some have forgotten that you have to start somewhere and sink your teeth into a project, ratrod today,showcar tomorrow. .....Guess what? I have had way more fun on the ratrod end of the stick, because not everyone can drop $$$$$ on a "hotrod". And all you haters out there, I have had 'em all at one time or the next.
    True words spoke on here....Just make it safe and be safe, and keep it real. Call it a ratrod and screw the "know it alls' , calling another mans ride "junk" would get your teeth missing in my shop!...Enjoy your ride, whatever it is!

25. Great! I'm glad you're in. You'll find alot of good advice here, and that's gonna help you with your build. I've built more than a few hot rods over the years and 3 out of the 6 or 7 did not have a title when I started. I kept on building and the title problem kinda worked itself out. Maybe you'll find a parts car with a title. If not, like others have said the assembled vehicle route isn't a bad way to go on a T-Bucket. If you had a 32 Ford or a 40 or something the title makes a difference, but I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the T-Buckets on the road have some sort of assembled title. Talk to your MVD, sometimes those guys are pretty good to work with. You just have to have the right mindset when you walk through the door. My Dad always told me " you can tell someone to go to hell as long as you make them look forward to the trip". Be nice, and good luck.