Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great,keep it coming!

2. This could just be the column drop of all time. What are you looking at for drop, 6 or 7 inches? :D

[​IMG]

3. farmer12

farmer12

It may look like a big drop right now, but I stated in post #455 that this is a rough mock up and that the steering wheel will move up another inch. I think the total drop will not be more than 4 to 4.5 inches.

Also, considering I'm going to slightly re-shape the dash, this will also cover the column drop some more. Don't worry, it will not drop nor be exposed as much as in the photo.

4. farmer12

farmer12

The right hand foot well is now installed and nearly all of the tunnel. Just some small pieces need to be welded on each side. Didn't make the center section of the tunnel round as I need every available inch in the foot well for the pedal assembly.The whole tunnel will be completely removable for easy access to the gearbox. Should have all the seams welded up this week. Getting there!

Attached Files:

5. Hey Farmer:

Looking good buddy! Was wondering if you guys have a driveshaft loop or 'cage' surrounding the front of the driveshaft? Hopefully so!

6. farmer12

farmer12

The driveshaft actually runs over a few frame cross members. Once I know the actual width of the shaft, I'll mount some brackets(or loop) between the frame and the body to enclose the shaft. I know you don't want one of the driveshafts breaking and protruding through the tunnel into the passenger area!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  7. farmer12

farmer12

Pulled the front fenders off the car to try and see how I can line up the front end. Going to figure out where I'm going to place the mounting brackets on the new front end/frame. I want them out of sight but still easily accessable.

Attached Files:

8. G'day, great build, good read, quick question, are you going to make a gutter over the door and down over the rear quarter windows?

Cheers, keep up the good work, great to see,

Drewfus:)

9. farmer12

farmer12

Drewfus, thanks for the compliments. There will be no driprail/ gutter. I won't be using this car as a daily, just for cruising and maybe drive it to a few shows. It gets pretty wet here in winter time, so she'll stay inside till the sun appears again. I want a "clean" looking car with only some minimal chrome trim along the sides and front. Also going to weld most of the fenders to the body in order to erase any distracting lines on this in my opinion great model/shape.

Attached Files:

10. farmer12

farmer12

Just fınıshed the tunnel today, once agaın ıt all took longer than expected. Goıng to start work on the metal surroundıng the doors now.(from above the door to the headlıner.) Unfortunately forgot my camera today, but wıll have more pıcs early next week.

11. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Very nice work your doing there!
    would you like a aluminum hemi connection rod for your steering column drop?
    later
    wayne

12. farmer12

farmer12

Sounds interesting. Got a pic? Trying to visualize it....

13. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

best way to visualize is in the car. Just send me an address and I'll ship it out asap for ya, you can have it for free.
    later
    wayne

14. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

haven't checked in a while,,
    seems like everything is still headin the right way,,
    godspeed to you farmer!!

15. Thank you for sharing.

16. farmer12

farmer12

Wayne just send me these pics: aluminium Hemi connecting rods to be used as an alternative to my standard column drop. Certainly is something different don't you think!

Attached Files:

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool go with it make it work !

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Not sure its strong enough. :D

19. What 'stroke' is that steering column? You must make sure you have the right 'rod length' . . . :D

Given the engine . . . I think your 'length' will be just fine!

20. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW...I can't believe I've missed this thread up to now!
    Awesome work, can't wait to see more now!:cool:

21. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

I never get tired of lookin at your 41, it puts me on the fence everytime I think Ive made a decision on my 39.

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good, Eric. Keep it up!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks LeadSledMerc, hope to get some more done this week. Will post some more pics soon.

24. plmczy

plmczy

Eric, that would look real good for a column drop. Put a nice spit shine on that and it would be fine. Oh yeah came up with a cool name for your plymouth,The Sinister Urge, taken from an Rob Zombie album of the same name. Lookin great. later shawn

25. farmer12

farmer12

I think that the column drop may just work, just need to align the steering column properly and find out the length of this Hemi connecting rod drop. I've always liked the word Sinister for the car, thank you for your input Shawn.

Attached Files:

26. thinkfink

thinkfink

looking good Eric - do it.

and p.s.:
    sorry for my silence. the little one is still a real handful (no sleep!!!:eek:) update follows asap

27. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear your baby girl is doing fine! Shame about your sleep though.

I hope to get some measurements from this fellow Hamber soon regarding this cool looking Hemi drop column.:cool:

Post/pm/email me the progress of your 41 Plym when you have some time Jochen. For those that don't know Jochen's car, here's a pic.(hope you don't mind) This is one great looking car and he only lives 10 miles from my place here in Holland! How good is that!

Attached Files:

28. farmer12

farmer12

Just got more info from Wayne regarding the measurements of the Hemi connection rod column drop. I think this will work fine.

Here are a few pics, including one of Wayne (hope he doesn't mind), who's generosity is second to none in providing this for free. This is the true spirit of the Hamb, wow, what a community! I'm glad to be part of it, that's for sure. Thanks Wayne!:D

Attached Files:

29. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

your new column drop will be in the mail today at noon.
    but now you did it, didn't you read the rules, no pictures of goldchainers and streetrod shops on the Hamb! oh well, my 15 mins of fame are over for now.
    later
    wayne

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great looking car. work faster...!