Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didn't keep too many over the years but still have my Car Model issues.:D Here is one where we were featured in the HO column. Two cars of Jeff's and one of Mizia's. We know each other John, tho never met. I'm sure I raced one of your cars at either Jeff's or my track for our main-in races. I had built a very high bank 6 lane track like Wall Stadium and held several races here. Names like Roger Roahl, Jim Malloy, Sam Gray, brothers Kay & ?, among others come to mind. I still have my AJ's patch, a copy of our '72 rules and believe may have some race results laying about. John

Attached Files:

2. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Wow....Auto World, Car Model Mag., slot cars....sure brings back memories!

If anyone can explain to me how to post photos, I could take some pics of models I made back in the 60s & 70s....#55 Mike Miller coupe, #12 Merv Treichler coupe, #18 Dutch Hoag coupe, #33 Bobby Merz coupe, #7 Dutch Hoag coupe, #88 Mike Loescher coach & # 6 Troyer Pinto.

Leadfoot4....Do I know you? I'm in Spencerport (not far from Webster), if you ever want to stop over for a look. I'm also building a vintage Modified (36 Chevy coupe) that you might find of interest.
    Bill

3. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

test

Attached Files:

• 3x-3.jpg
      3x-3.jpg
      File size:
      452.3 KB
      Views:
  4. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

OK....that worked (Thanks, Isettajohn!). These are roughly in chronoligical order...

Attached Files:

5. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

....and a few more

Attached Files:

6. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Finally, getting the rear end mounted. This weekend will be spent modifying the body so the rear tires have enough clearance & to try and make it look "nice", It's gonna be a challenge cuz it's wicked low!

Attached Files:

7. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Off hand, I don't think so, as I didn't know too many people from the west side, unless they worked with me at "the big yellow box". I was with Kodak from '71 through '04, worked with Bucky Catalano for a while in the late 70s, when he was there with us, and was associated with modified driver Dave Nichols in the mid 80s.....

The pictures of your "project" look really cool. It's great to see the vintage tin on a modern chassis.

8. What did you use for the primer colored main rails for the rear kick-up?

Almost looks like recontoured Scout frame rails.

Looks great. Nice build.

9. canman

canman

Bill Spade's restored coach is for sale on www.racingjunk.com. Looks like a nice job.

10. k9racer

k9racer

ok got me to racing junk so what is it listed under? Thank You for any help//

11. canman

canman

Sorry. Ad # 1991913, Asphalt Oval category, Modifieds

12. cdnmodman

cdnmodman

13. canman

canman

Seems to be. The body for the restoration was found in Pa. and the car is listed out of Pa. The two cars are too identical not to be the same. Just the way Bill raced it without the tunnel ram.

14. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Photos courtesy of Leeann Comiskey

Attached Files:

15. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

kholm65, I recognize Leo but the first picture with all the cars in it, I can't seem to recognize what racetrack it is? Denny Z

16. I don't know about the gremlin but I would say, the coach for sure. He have Charlie J a run for the money one night back in 1969/70 in that coach. Door handle to door handle lap after lap at Islip.

17. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Leadfoot4,
    We might have run into one another at Kodak-Elmgrove. I used to go on break w/John DeMinck in 1990-1991 and I think Buck & Curt Tooley worked there at that time & would join us now & then. It's a small world.

Modifieddriver,
    Good catch...the rear clip is a (modified) Scout frame. I cut the kickup to give me more clearance. The latest pics show how I spent my weekend.

Attached Files:

18. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

#6671 Picture of lineup group is at Albany Saratoga late 60's 41 Bernie Milller , X Phil Spiak

19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Thanks Dick, Looked somewhat familiar but I couldn't place it. Denny Z

20. Pretty sharp there Dick. Many folks forget about Phil and his red"X".

I remember Phil running a Camaro on the road course in Feb of '70 or '71. That was the NASCAR Pony car series that had a several year run before it went belly-up.

Now get your ass back to work ;) .

21. Here's a couple of pics of the '36 my buddy is doing down here. I did the complete rolling chassis/cage, engine and Q/C rear.

We're gonna' fire the engine later this week for the second time. First time the distributor was wrong and we didn't get oil to the rockers. The $125 oil priming tool and 348 truck distributor with a Petronix were both wrong. Lesson learned on W-engines (aka boat anchors).

Rims/tires, headers and bumpers are next. Plan is to take it to Daytona.

Back to your car:

I cut a Scout frame up like that for a local vintage racer (not the one in below pics). We used a straight front axle.

This car will be lower than low with the tire that far up the quarter. Is that part of a rear fender you used to fill the rear portion of the well well opening?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  22. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Modifieddriver,
    Yup...it's gonna be down loooowwwww, alright! Ride height will be @ 4". And yes....I used the back part of one of the original fenders. That 36 you posted is a real beauty. Street legal too?

23. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

(nice to see some people actually posting here in the daylight hours!)

24. tippy69

tippy69
    from NJ

Ken, my name is Ken too. My dad owned Michalesens who sponsored Mike. They were also best of friends too. We had so many great memories between racing, business, and families!

To me he was Uncle Mike and was the best!

Miss him tons and will never forget his laugh!

If you have any other pix of the number 18 car I would absolutely be in debt to you. You can send them to me @ [email protected]

Thanks

Ken Jr.

25. canman

canman

Mikey Dee was a great driver,I remember him driving Crossly powered TQ's smooth and fast. Real expert and fun to watch.

26. Slippery

Slippery

......this one is mine (in progress). The body is going to the shop for paint in the next few weeks and I'll definitely have the chassis painted within the next little while. Then it's assembly time.

Doug

Attached Files:

27. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that thing sits just right!

28. pcorey37@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Jack Lecuyer hailed from Springfield, MA.

29. pcorey37@yahoo.com

[email protected]

The second picture above I have seen elsewhere and I believe that it is Victoria Speedway in Dunnsville NY. Most of the Fonda regulars ran there. It ran from around 1961 to 1966. Would like to see more shots and read some more info on this long gone speedway.:)

30. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

thanks for the pic ID as Albany Saratoga, I didn't know where that was either :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.