Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap price must be up again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Sep 17, 2010.

1. here's some of the things my buddy has scrapped recently..would have liked to have a few of these but he says "it's too much work to try and sell them or take parts it's easier to load it on the trailer and make scrap money right away" and the bad thing is he's into hot rods & customs..next week I believe he said they were scrapping a '53 chevy pick up and a '47 ford pickup..I'd like to have both :(

2. Get out your wallet, ranting/complaining is worthless bs... "I woulda saved it, lots of guys would be interested.... those that posted those phrases here don't know shit.

SAVED anything lately? BOUGHT anything lately? SOLD anything lately?

If you haven't saved/bought/sold anything from a wrecking yard or scrapper in awhile, then you are part of the problem and are just running your mouth.

Try and find someone to buy that galaxy bumper and pay to have it shipped!

HAMBer had 2 50's Ford dashes for sale for a no-brainer price/obo - buyers "didn't figure on shipping would be so much". Its a dash you idiot, it won't fit in an envelope!

Another friend has 2 clean Mercury tudor doors (try and find a set) - buyers "I'm interested any way you can get them to Tennesse"... "are you coming to California soon"

HAMBer with a couple nice builders for sale ended up trading them away for construction labor on his place.

I have an 1996 LT1/4L60E I pulled out of a daily driver for sale for cheap. I'll trip over it for 2 more weeks, before it gets drained and heads to the scrap yard. Its too much of a hassle to answer calls from idiots. Its on a pallet ready to go and I had one local tell me he would call me in December. Uh no you won't because it will be gone by then one way or another.

I only have space to store stuff that I'm going to get to in the next X years otherwise its for sale for awhile and then off to the scrapper. I was selling stuff at a swap meet a couple weeks ago and took every offer.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Just what I said but slightly more eloquently;)

4. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

As of 9/19/2010 in southern WV , I was right , it's going up.....

Attached Files:

5. screwball

screwball

The crushing guys up here keep all older stuff aside but you need to get into the yard to see it. But he asks 4x scrap or he crushes it so if its worth 250 in scrap you lookin at $800.00.

6. Clik

Clik

Sometimes it's due to zoning laws. Many areas don't allow untagged cars in your yard. I've scrapped a few four doors because of that. They weren't valuable enough to pay storage on and in some areas putting something up for sale just attracts crackheads and people who waste your time. Now that we have sites like this we can save more by spreading the word of cars and parts available.

7. 6inarow

6inarow

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

My wife already calls me Sanford for all the shit I have lying around. I tell her just wait until we get more property! Someone needs to make a video of all the sad scrap pics and put Sarah McGlaughlin? in the arms of an angel song to really get the point across.

9. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I tend to agree more with Verbal Kint. It seems like you almost have to beg some body to buy something any more. I am at the point of scrapping several of my projects because nobody wants to pay for shipping. When you are broke instant cash looks way better than a maybe. Last swap meet I went to I damn near had to give stuff away. I love the ads for wanted parts and items for sale. If the person responds back its usually whats your bottom dollar, then no reply back. At least tell a person you can't afford it, instead of letting them hang. Replied to several wanted ads, had the parts, and cheap. No reply back. I'll quit ranting and go finish cutting up the 49 Ford so I can pay some bills.

10. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey, I am like you - I live in the sticks so shipping is an issue for me too. I have a lot of stuff in the garage that I think is worth saving. But I cant give it away right now - havent been able to for 2 years. But I'm not going to scrap it just yet or cut it up like you say- I'll wait and be patient and sell it when the time is right.

Had a PM just this morning and the first question was "what is your bottom dollar?". But I aint gonna get pissed - thats the way things are right now. there will come a time when its the other way around and I wont apologize then either. It is what it is

11. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Which piece do you need for your 56? Probably could find it here. However, you have several large yards in Mitchell, that I have been to that probably have it as well.

12. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

It can't just be about shipping parts... I was emailing back and forth with a guy, he said I could get the whole car for $500... later I told him I just need the rear fenders and some trim pieces, I knew shipping would be high, but he said he wanted almost $400 for the few pieces! And that was before shipping. Too bad, I would have thrown him a couple hundred. Plus shipping.

13. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

How much later? Do you see the problem? He wanted to get rid of the whole car, not part it out. $400 would have covered the hassle of pulling the parts, boxing them up, and then getting rid of the rest of the car that nobody wanted because it was stripped. I don't blame him at all. He probably got mad and sent it to the scrappers too.

14. ironpile

ironpile

Not enough of us to buy all the project wannabes. Try not to lose any sleep over it.

15. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

I should have said he was parting it out. Listed in another forums classifieds as "parting out". The first time I contacted him, he said I could have it all for $500. I was just looking for parts. From a parts car!

16. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Yeah that does make a difference. But I've had people do what I thought you did. Still looking for parts? Lots of Meadowbrooks out here. Shipping is the problem. And as Ironpile said, maybe we are getting close to the balance point. More cars and parts than builders.

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Most yard owners will tell you that people just like to come in and look around.No one wants to buy anything.
    I find it hard to believe that people feel you should be obligated to part stuff out.Sometimes people just want the stuff out of their life.
    I hit a boneyard in Ga. in May.You could tell the guy loved old stuff and put it aside. A lot of it is still there though.Why aren't people rushing in to buy it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are shots from the highway.

18. pdq67

pdq67

There's at least two places old bodies and such end up at.

A recycle yard with a "Prolyrizer" body grinder/cutter/hammermill and then either to a mini-mill or shipped over seas to say the CHI-COM's OR...

Straight to a mini-mill, ground up and fed directly into the pair of direct arc electric furnaces they generally have to make steel angles, I-beams, rounds, pipe, rebar, etc....

I've been involved in rebuilding several mini-mill reheat furnace linings through the years..

pdq67

19. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

the wrap around rear windows new are $500+ a piece...both mine are broken. what a damn shame

20. I guess after having stuff sit around too long with big plans and no money scrapping is an option. Seeing the Ford truck and the Galaxie I think it was being taken to another location by the owner, maybe it was his dream car and nothing was going to get in his way of his dreams. An optimistic look. Rich folks did not get rich by making stupid decisions. Todays hurting little guy will sell out cheaper and a guy in a good position can buy nice finished cars cheaper than resurrecting a hulk. It is nice to salvage and hoard but if you are hungry or the rent is due sometimes dreams are shattered. Average folks do not understand our hobby and sometimes our stuff is an eye-sore to them, people are forced to "clean up" their yards. There are a lot of things against our hobby and pashions, hopefully it will survive the struggles.

21. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

the scrap cast iron becomes new brake rotors

22. The rear? There are much more valuable parts on that car than a plentiful wide 9". Straight, Solid '64 rear bumper cores bring $350 each or more.

23. Racewriter

Racewriter

Ditto. It's easy to bitch about a guy taking iron to the scrapper; what's tough is to try to sell some of this stuff to anyone BUT the scrapper.

24. It is really disgusting to see all the good stuff that is wasted for a few quick bucks.They have took over C list site in my area.The rules of that site state ,no business ads,but the parts and car section is clogged with their "I pay top price" *Business Ads*.
    Also the other day I posted that I was looking for sbc engine and a few other things and they flagged me right off,and one of them sent me an email telling me that they were taking over and going to get everything off that site.
    They are so greedy that they are afraid I will buy an engine before they can get it and haul it off.
    Now it is war.My family and I flag every rule breaking scrap ad we find.
    They are like coach roaches though..Unstoppable.
    **The sad thing is that the parts will run out.**
    ***There were only so many made,so there is an end coming,which will be the end of our hobby.***
    Greed is a very disgusting and sickening thing to see.My cars and parts cars will be here until I die,or find another car guy who needs them and likes our hobby as much as I do.
    It is good to know this waste makes others as angry as it does me.

25. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I know where a set is , $100.00 a piece , you interested? , call me , (304)920-8850

26. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Looks to me like the answer is simple. Support the HAMBer's who are trying to sell stuff. If you see something you need buy it. Don't waste time haggling over a price, and pissing the seller off. If it is in reason it will be worth what you paid for it soon enough. Supply and demand rules. Sellers can and do get upset, and sell stuff for spite. Iron is at a really good price now,I am told next month it will go down. Work together, this thread has already brought several people together with possible parts. Easy to bitch and moan. Show you're serious with your wallet. It will help you , help the other guy, and help the economy.

27. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

[​IMG] i would have boiught so parts off t his .thanks

28. farcus1

farcus1

OK, nobody likes to see old iron go to the scrapper but I don't have the room to save this one so it is for sale....cheap. The body is complete and in pretty good shape, just the bottom couple of inches. Fenders sound and doors good and open with great hinges. The worst body part is the trunk lid which was damaged getting it open. Floor boards in good shape and never cut on. Seats and dash as they were when it was a daily driver. Only the motor and tranny gone and the clear title may be available for an extra price. 500$ as she sits.

Contact me by PM or at my website by cliking on my stats.I hope putting a price on this post does not break any rules, if it does I will edit it and post the car on the swap.

Attached Files:

29. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Ooooo! A "put your money where your mouth is" challenge. I like it! :)

30. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

WTF???????????
    A lot of the time is greed on the buyers part wanting something for nothing.