Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 taillights on a steel '32 body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovybaby6, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

ok, is there a trick to putting '39 taillights on a Brookville body? It looks like the only way to get them on in the center of the rear panel is to do a whole lot of cutting out of the inner panels inside the trunk? Is this what I need to do?

2. cruzr

cruzr

why the center?? this is a Brookville body by the way

Attached Files:

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

That's exactly what I want mine to look like, the taillights are centered in the rear panel. Not too high, not too low. What did you have to cut out to get them there? Can you take a picture of that panel from inside the trunk?

4. Use Nut Certs and you don't need to cut anything.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

6. brady1929

brady1929

wow, learn something new every day

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I think if you have a rumble seat car, there is some trimming to do. At least there is on a model A. Rather than cut up the inside of the boot, I trimmed the tailight housings themselves and relocated the bulb to the side for extra clearance.

8. Very important if you have a rumble seat car...Inner skin totally different than a deck lid model

9. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

It's a roadster body with a trunk and the bracing is way different than a Model A and the panel back there is smaller. The bracing takes up the whole top part of the panel.
    It seems to me that there is a lot of cutting involved but I'm not sure if there is an easy way other than cut the bracing and fit the taillight socket housing in there and then weld it back up. I'm using original '39 taillights, I think the socket housing is bigger than the repros, that could be part of the problem.

10. It can't be that difficult since one out of 3 Deuce roadsters in existence have 39 taillights.

11. I put '50 Pontiac ones in a Brookville with no issues and being round, they're wider than the '39 Ford lights.

Attached Files:

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

If the 32 roadster in question is a rumble seat roadster ... stock 39 tail light protude into the panel ... so far that the deck lid will not go all the way down. Mine are shortened about 1 inch ... maybe a little more and I have a socket that plugs into the side of the housing, not from the rear. They barely clear my decklid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My car has had 39 tail lights since the 40's ...
    :D
    [​IMG]

13. Deuce, he said it was a trunk, so there shouldn't be a problem. (?)

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

But he he did say it was not a rumble seat roadster. Lots of folks still call the area a trunk ... even with a rumble style deck lid. At least here in the Southland ;) :rolleyes: :confused:

If it is indeed a non rumble seat seat roadster ... then MAYBE someone else with a rumble seat roadster ( or coupe ) ... will not have to learn the hard way :D :D :)

15. Mmm, so I can only gues that he's glad of the help? What's the outcome?

16. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I used '48 Ford tail lights instead.

17. Hahaha... :D:D:D

I had the sound turned way up and my dog just pissed herself...!
    Kinda jump starts the ol' heart.

JOE:cool: