Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap price must be up again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Sep 17, 2010.

1. madgrinder

madgrinder

straight, rust-free 64 Gal bumpers are very hard to find... and pricy when you do find one. It's a one-year part that was made of way-thin sheet and horribly plated. Most rust-through at the mounts.

I drove to ATL from Nashville and paid $300 for one with minor pitting and a scrape or two. I can imagine that one would go for $350 or more if it is as nice as it looks.

2. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

ive got a 64 just like it but better and ill take a grand for it

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have SCRAPPED over 5 hundred cars ... :) in my life time.

My friend has scrapped over 1 thousand since 1/22/2009 :D

Scrap is bringing over 11 dollars a hundred.
    A 1964 Ford Galaxie should weigh at least 3700 LBS. That is $407.00

No hassle, no waiting on the

1 ) Want to bees
    2 ) I will be BACKS
    3 ) and Would you take guys ...
    4 ) dreamers and time wasters

I would have removed the 9 inch rear ...
    But the rest is mostly junk and easily found in my area of the Southland.

SORRY ... just the TRUTH.

4. squirrel

squirrel

worth quite a bit more than that as scrap these days, unfortunately

5. que serah serah....

6. I saved my Falcon hours before it was destined to be hauled off to the crusher. The old man who had it, also had a piece of property with probably a dozen cool old rides, all destined for the same fate. Called up a bunch of my buddies and we ended up buying almost all of them for chump-change. The local township authority had told him to clean up the property or be fined and have all of the cars hauled away at a charge to him. I could only afford to save one, but I would have gladly taken the others and "found homes" for them.

Just goes to show that sometimes circumstances lead to these unused gems being targeted for destruction by local govt.

7. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Isn't that recycled steel mostly going to China? That bothers me just as much.

8. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Well yeah, they need it to turn around and send it back us in the form of a new car :rolleyes:

9. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Recycled steel is used for fence posts, wire, and other things that don't require great strength. When steel is recycled there is no way of sorting it. So, no it does not become new cars. A lot of it may be going to the War effort, which makes me upset. I wasn't looking close enough, it was a hardtop, and it does have a rear axle. This tells me it was just a guy out to make a buck, not a car guy, not a tweaker, just a guy trying to make a buck. Unfortunate. I was serious about the rear bumper. I know I could come up with several good ones. I also know nobody will pay to have them shipped. Too many good cars for sale to worry about saving all the parts cars. It's kind of like the circle of life. We save what we can, the rest make whats left more valuable.

10. Shit, :eek: at least they saved the tires which they probably sold to someone else for $ 1.00 each.

Attached Files:

11. To most people driving down the highway, it's just a trailer full of old stuff. The vast number of people just don't care. When it's gone, it's gone, but so what? They have other things on their minds like whatever is on their cellphone or Blackberry or their ipod. Some old bunch of car parts doesn't even merit a second look.

12. madgrinder

madgrinder

Still... I would have given him $100 for the rear bumper and maybe the gas tank (if it looked solid).

13. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Because of technology there will always be a demand for scrap steel!
    It is needed for the production of new steel.
    The old method was the "Bessemer Process" done in a Blast Furnace, which required a huge amount of coal for energy [ and usually ran 24 / 7 all year long to be economical ]

The modern method uses an Electric Arc Furnace which is approx 500% more efficient [ from an energy perspective ]
    But unfortunately Iron Ore isn't the best conductor of electricty to generate the heat required ,
    So 35% scrap steel needs to be added to make this process efficient [ otherwise they need to feed back 35% of the steel they produce ]

Scrap steel is part of the perfect market cycle, the world will always need it now [ because of demand ] unlike old tires which are a market failure and require govt intervention in the disposal process

I know we don't like seeing classics crushed, but value is only a perceived sentiment [ one day a Yugo will be rare ,because everyone threw them out ]
    We can all get sentimental over the occassional classic [ of questionable condition ] being crushed, but they are the exception to the norm, for every classic there are 100's off undesirable worthless POS crushed

I read through the "sitting and rotting" thread [ here on the HAMB ] and wonder about how worthless things were back then [ I am refering to the land ,not the cars ]
    I would rather enjoy a nice environment, than trip over rusty shit abandoned everywhere.

This is the computer age, people are better communicated and more $$$ orientated these days [ I'm sure if any of us could get more $$$ ,we would, for these old junkers ]

14. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Now , I can deal with that , a decent thought out rebuttle , and your right , a nice environment is cool , and seeing it in a smoooth '64 Galaxy cruisin' down the country road is better

15. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Was at the scrap yard yesterday, guy hauled in a '55 Olds hardtop...pretty much stripped, but all the glass was still in it, and the stainless trim was still on it!
    The sheetmetal didn't look bad at all, but, he did keep the 324/trans...
    ...saw him in the office and asked him why he didn't keep the glass, trim, doors & deck...he say's, "Oh, nobody wants that 4-door stuff."!!!

16. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I think that windshield woulda fit my '57 Chevy wagon , damn...

17. I got a friend that hauls scrap and I keep tellin him to let me strip off what I want and I will pay him decent money but he never does, they just want to get it straight to the yard and get their quick cash.

18. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Here's one Itook back in the winter , the scrap price got up to $11.00 a hundred , a "friend" calls me , and asks "you want it?" , I go look at it , he hits me with $1000.00 !!! , I said I cant see that figure , he drives to the scrapper , and pulls $260.00 , I could see that , but , I guess I looked like I had deep pockets...

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
  19. storm king

storm king

Simple truth is, if you own it you can do what you want with it, and no one, no one else has any business complaining.
    My brother and I saw a '70 Mach come into a scrap yard, a place where after it rolls over the scales, they absolutely will not sell anything. The car was so clean we couldn't believe it. It had no wheels and tires, and no engine/trans. We asked the guy why he was scrapping it because the body was straight and rust free. He saidn, "I lost the title and don't want to mess with it. Unbelievable. But it was his to do with as he wished, and the value of all the other '70 Mach 1's went up just a little more....
    And I still didn't see anything that would make me jump to the conclusion that that Galaxie and whatever the '40's thing is strappeed to the roof, is going to the crusher.

20. 1320/150

1320/150

Thats crazy!!! I know i am preaching to the choir,but this is rediculous!!! These are all cars that some person has knocked on the door with an offer and some old purple hair lady said NOT FOR SALE!!!! It is my biggest frustration of hot rodding Hoarders piss me off!!!! I just saw a 62 impala hardtop car on a flatbed I didnt have the time to snap a photo,but it had all the sticker bushes with it!!!! You should be able to steal these cars!!!

21. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

260.00 was good money for that CARcass!

22. Did ya ever notice that other peoples shit is stuff and your stuff is shit. I think that car was worth saving to the right guy but I guess the right guy was'nt around. To bad. I hate to see it to.

23. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Folks, ebay is LOADED with nice project cars, for very low money, and they aren't selling. There are more old cars out there than there are people interested in saving them/sinking tons of money into them. Especially now that people are struggling to put food on their tables.

24. Nope but I have several that will....too bad I am where I am!

25. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

The economy and job situation around here is pretty poor. Lots of guys cruise the alleys in the evenings the night before trash pickup looking for scrap metal.

If I have any scrap to put out, I wait until I see one of the scrapers cruising the alley and flag them down and give it to them (I have just little bits at a time, nothing really to cash in). Any way, the purpose of this is to get a look in their pickup to see what they have in there. You never know....

About 2 weeks ago, I flagged a guy to give him a little bit of aluminum. I spied a front axle sticking out of the pile. I offered him $20 bucks for it...He couldn't pull it out fast enough. Said he got it out of a pile of stuff that was sitting at the curb in a neighboring town.

It was a '32-'36 Ford dropped axle..:eek:

26. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

camp out at the salvage yard . Mine sells stuff for scrape price.
    i've seen buttcracks drive shit to the yard with title.
    (puke)

27. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Antny has nailed it right on the head. As I said earlier, help the economy, help a fellow HAMB'er buy something out of the classifieds. The only way the economy is going to improve is if people quit listening to the media doom and gloomers, and start spending money. If the economy was great, most people would be working and not out scrounging metal to buy groceries.

28. squirrel

squirrel

I cleaned up my yard a couple months ago. Hauled out over 20 tons of scrap. Some of it might have been useful to some one, some where, some time. Most of it had been sitting in my yard for five, ten, fifteen years. Face it, if I'm not gonna use it, and if no one wants it (I always offer stuff up for sale cheap or free to local guys who are building stuff), then it needs to go.

And I used the proceeds to fix up my car...paint, bumpers done, tires, and other miscellaneous stuff.

29. jandk

jandk

I have a scrap yard a few miles from my house. I often sit out front just in case someone brings in something I want...the scrap yards hate it, but Its a gold mine.

30. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

All ya have too do is step up to the plate when there gone there gone watched it my whole life, most of the people want what they want and the used part guys still need to pay there bills most guys will not pay scrap prices for that stuff so off they go think about it next time you make a stupid offer at a swap meet but are willing to pay blood for some vintage popular piece ,20 yrs ago I could build most of my cars out of a yard now the yards are gone all everybody wants to do is go to the keyboard or open a catalog think about its only going to worse for you young ones.......reallity sucks don,t it!