Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lost Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Very good film

I find in my travels as an employer if a robot doesn't do it, or it can't be done on a video game, or computer people don't want anything to do with it.

For me, I find that while technology is great, and helpful there is nothing more rewarding than the relationship one can have with a hands on project. Werking, touching, feeling every aspect until completion.

Sadly I do not see this way of thinking being taught anymore.
    If we are not careful the skilled tradesman will go the way of the dodo.... then where will the world be?

all that said, how unbelievably talented these folks are, and that sign was as nice as a photograph

2. roddinron

roddinron

Well, it IS hard to resist. In '69 I was in the USAF and assigned a detail to paint the barracks which was white but badly weathered to gray. The end was a 2 story "blank canvas" and since I was painting the whole wall white anyway, I couldn't resist first painting a huge white peace sign on the end. Well, the base commander happened to pass by before I got it covered. It did not go down well, I was called to his office, and thoroughly chewed out, and given another week of details.
    In retrospect, I realize it was an extremely poor choice of subject matter on a military base, especially considering the turbulent times.

3. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Last year my agency contracted wall painters to do a campaign for Pabst Blue Ribbon. All out doors. It turned out great. I have seen that video and can honestly say how inspiring it is. Thanks Ryan. Slim

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wow Bro, fantastic..I know we have talked about this, and the skill you have for this ability..First time i have gotten to see it.
    Very cool

awesome story too Ryan..
    there is a ton of this old building art going slowly by the way side here in michigan..

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

yep!

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I can really appreciate their dedication.

As a machinist who learned and worked with manual machines (Bridgeport mills, Hardinge lathes, etc) there is nothing quite like working with the same technology as those who came many years before me.

7. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

That is one of my favorite posts in a long time!! Great video from start to finish. I love the older gentleman talking, you really get the feeling of his passion. I have always been inspired by handpainted wall murals to try something different. I'm glad to see there are people still doing these and keeping it alive! I hope one day to paint a mural on my outside garage wall like an old advertisement. Thanks for posting this, I'll keep my eye on the linked site also. I am an artist and it inspired me a lot! Nate Grice

8. Thank you Ryan, that was wonderfull. Inspired me to get back on the strawshop, I see why I started it and why I need to see it through.

9. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Being a Master Mason, welder, fabricator and artist, I understand completely. Thank you for the clip. Best twelve minutes I've had in a long time.

10. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Anyone who's travelled with a square and compass will appreciate this completely.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is indeed a great film. It's great to see guys from different generations that view Their work as art with a passion rather than just a job.

As for Ryan' coworker, I see it as different strokes for different folks. The important thing is that he actually has a passion for something and that thing is newer performance cars. I run across too many people who have no passion for anything except sitting their butts in front of a tv and watching the latest drivel that happens to be on. No interests, no hobbies, no collections of any kind and no real life.

We as Hambers tend to spend weeks, months or even years hunting the "right" parts for one of our projects. Many of us have projects or now finished cars that started as a swap meet purchase of a single part, getting a left over engine from someone else's build. The planning, gathering, collecting and discussing are just as big a part of the process as building the frame of finishing off the window corner after chopping the top.

If you have been around a group of Mustang restorers or tri 5 restorers they often have lengthy discussions on the correct positioning of hose clamps and even invite inspector number ------ who put the celebrated chalk marks on the firewalls when the cars were going down the assembly line to their meets. A different passion but still a passion as strong as ours.

12. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Since my wife and I dabble in fiber arts, we get it. We get that you can't recoup your time so you have to do it for love. You can see in the guys talking about the "old timers" that they love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

I think Stella gets it, too. I suspect they had this campaign done to show that they do what they do with art, passion, and take the long way because it is so much better. Not trying to sell their beer but it does have something that our giant breweries lack.

And I watched it with my boys. I think they get it.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great video, Ryan; thanks for showing it to us.

I believe that nostalgia and its distillate, history, are something that grows in us with age; sometimes it can be absorbed from a parent or elder. Until that interest develops spontaneously, it's pretty difficult for somebody to understand it from the outside looking in.

14. Muttley

Muttley

I took these a couple of months ago. I had been meaning to get pictures of this place for years..........figured I'd better do it before its gone for good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Highlander - I'm not sure if I have actually told you straight out - I am in awe of your wood whatever it is on... You carry the mantle in my eyes. I have looked at this kind of work all my life - even my Dad (God rest his soul) who had an art degree from The Chicago Art Institute was in awe of your craft. In all examples I have seen, your woodgrain ranks over all others - bar none. Thanks for having enough respect for your elders to learn their craft, and then the determination to master it as they did.

And Ryan, mucho kudos for posting this incredible account of a craft that is threatened by technology advancement. I, for one, prefer the vivid art over the pixels anyday. I also appreciate all the many crafts that contribute directly to our hobby and way of life.

I have never been more inspired to carry on from my dad - the fruit did not fall far at my house either...

16. catdad49

catdad49

I don't know if I can put into words my feelings as I watched this film. I get the same feeling if I'm watching a real plane(ex.WWII Corsair) fly overhead. I can't explain it, but it happens everytime! A lost art that involves the people doing it, it's more than a job. They have a part of their lives invested in learning a craft, but they know that they are in the minority headed for extinction. Long live the craftsman of the world. Nuff said, Cat

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I remember giant canvases for movies in Karachi when I was a kid, they were huge, all hand painted and for everything you can imagine, Godzilla, James Bond, and of course Bollywood releases, and they would be gone when the film was over. The movie theaters themselves were amazing works of art.
    Everything seems soulless these days.

18. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

"There's still a few of us keeping it alive..."

yep.

19. Great film , thanks for sharing. Every once in awhile an old building is torn down and it exposes some old signs on the adjacent building. Amazing how long paints hangs onto brick even exposed to the elements for years.

20. Here is one from out on the short section of Route 66 that passes through the southern tip of Kansas. This is across from "two women on the route" which is a restored station. The tow truck that came with the station is THE truck which inspired "Mater" in cars...
    Good stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Thanks Ryan, I can relate to this movie on a lot of levels - not only the story, but the quality of the storytelling and the artistry of the filmwork. It also gave me a peaceful feeling about the dignity of work.

In short, it made my day and I will be thinking about it for days to come.

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That.

Was.

Awesome.

I can't imagine doing that stuff at that kind of scale. Definitely inspirational.

This is as big as I've done any painting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 1929rats

1929rats

awesome post.....thanks...

I always wanted a barn with a "mail pouch tobacco" add on the side...I see them time to tim in the NEK (northeast Kingdom) in VT....matter of fact wasnt there a write up about these in a garage magazine a bit ago?

10:10 --- I can relate to this personally with my trade and at home.

again, great post - glad I spent the 12 minutes watching it

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Awesome thread. I can relate on a couple of levels. First was my grandfather working in his farm maintenance barn keeping the equipment running with a belt driven drill press, a box of very early Craftsman tools (which I have today and still use), a buzz box welder And a pedestal grinder driven by an old washing machine motor. He always had time to answer the hundreds of questions I asked and even letting me try my very inexperienced hand at certain tasks.
    Later, when I was at General Motors Institute being under the guidance of machinists that had practiced the craft since WWII using hand crank lathes and mills turning out pieces that rivaled jewelry they had that same patience for an unskilled newcomer. Later, working in modern shops with cnc and other high tech equipment I missed the feeling of accomplishment that the old ways had. Today, with only hand crank pieces in my shop there is nothing more satisfying than taking a chunk of steel and after a few hours on the lathe and mill, looking at something that has form and function. I've got digital readouts on some of my pieces but I still find myself counting turns of the dial to go from one location to another. Bolting that piece on one of my cars and going for a ride to see how it performs is frosting on the cake.
    Watching the film I see (feel) the same sensation. Thanks Ryan.

Frank

25. Couldn't say it any better.......real truth.

26. Rapid City SD, recently restored a bunch of the old painted billboards downtown. Coke, Ben Franklin and Butternut coffee are 3 that cometo mind. It is nice to see them there for future generations to marvel over.

And I agree with Django, the biggest I have done was 8x8 for a school project, rock concert banner.

27. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Sorry to be off topic, in a way but, One poster mentioned that he wished he had a building that could be used as a blank canvas and it got me thinking. In the next few years the city is going to erect a new sound wall behind my house and it may not be a side of a building but it will be 12' high and around 30' long. I told my wife when they build it, I wanted someone to come and paint a mountain scene with rivers and such so I don't have to look at a concrete wall every time I walk out the back door or hang out in the back yard.
    So is there any one in Norcal that does painting like this? It would be cool to have my own personal painted wall and to know that I am keeping the craft alive.

28. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for that one Ryan. Very inspirational, especially in this time of my life (post-graduation)

29. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

those that don't get it contribute half of what makes it special and unique.

it's ok not to get it..... there's many things each of us do and don't get.

for those that do: know your tradition..... and continue it.

-scott noteboom