Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Fenton SBC Headers now Reproduced!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Feb 20, 2009.

1. I just got on the list for my set and talked to Patrick himself and he tells me that they are arriving today from the foundry and should be ready in about 10-14 days for shipping out or in my case I will drive over and get them. Will take photos and report on how they are when I get them.

2. Did you get yours yet Ron?

3. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Well I forgot that no one had posted any photos yet, so I figured I would. I don't know about the other guys, but I thought the quality was very nice.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I would buy a box of rolocs and knock the cast off and have them chromed. That's what i'm doing with my stock '56 manifolds since those won't fit around my steering box.

5. Some of us aren't made of money like you Jeffrey James! ;)

6. AZRacer2000

AZRacer2000

Yes they are brother! :D

7. AZRacer2000

AZRacer2000

These are for FRONT MOUNT applications only! The side motor mounts is what KILLED Mr. Fenton's originals! Thanks,Phillip from Patrick's!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm using a front mounted 265 CHevy engine and I still can't use them!!! They'll run right into the steering box. That sucks!

9. I will know shortly if they will fit my chassis. Engineering happening now.

10. Damn those are cool, hope they fit.

11. what's the big deal with these?

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They were a big deal back in the day and up until now the only way you could get a set is if you have a huge knot of cash. They were referred to as Black Widow manifolds and they had a bit of racing history I believe.

Rarely do I see a set of headers on a Chevy engine that I like. They all seems sort of generic so this is a nice performance alternative. I wish I could run them because they definitely are a cool piece.

13. They are a cool repop of a hard to find vintage piece. Given the limitations and price of them I would say they will still be rare:)

14. Even my rams horns (which are a correct part) look a bit generic. So much that if I don't decide to go with the Fentons or Rams I may take my dads stock 265 manifolds and run them.

15. Thanks for the explanation, guys. They just kinda remined me of the ram horns....which many hot rodders immediately shit canned in favor of welded tube headers.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I actually love the look of the stock 265 manifolds. Especially now that the casting marks are off of them. I was going to have them chromed but I think since this car is going to see some serious miles I am going to jet coat them black so I don't have to deal with flaking chrome later one.

One thing that bothered me with my '56 manifolds, was when I found out that one dumps up front and one dumps out back. Call me anal but I wish they'd both dump up front for pure aesthetics. Oh well, they'll be cool....maybe not as cool as these but cool none the less!

17. Yup, thought of symetrical front dumps myself. Would look cool.

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The reason for the LH front dump/RH rear dump configuration is that Chevrolet's original plan was to debut their new V8 in the redesigned 1953 models, but the Korean conflict forced them to rewrite their timetable. I used to wonder why the '55-'56 engines had those weird manifolds, while the '57s had the center dump manifolds, and you could bolt the '57 manifolds on a '55-'56 with no problems.....that's why.

19. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I prefer the look of the ram horns....it's a cleaner/simpler look, imo. Whatever floats yer boat!

20. First I had logs, then I found some rams horns, and now I have these. My truck isn't even on the road yet!

21. Decided to keep my original Fentons. I've had high $$$$ offers and now the price may have fallen a BUNCH, but mine are complete with the merge tubes. What's a guy supposed to do :confused: . Haven't seen the repops. Probably are better than the originals.

Attached Files:

hotdamn likes this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m suprised that Speedy Bill Didn`t jump on the band wagon. Mr Fenton was from Lincoln. His Brother had an auto parts store there. Bill knew him well. Aaron actually shortened his name to save alot grief that he might of gotten otherwise.

23. doctorZ

doctorZ

We just got a couple sets of these in stock. The castings are flawless and I am very impressed with the quality of them!

24. AZRacer2000

AZRacer2000

Yes sir, they are! :D Phillip @ Patrick's

25. AZRacer2000

AZRacer2000

Hey dont be sad! keep those! Use them! we could not AFFORD to make the collectors with these, but we will provide the flanges gladly! Those originals are gorgeous! If youd like to have them coated with Jet Hot, let me know please! It reduces the temperature 10-14 degrees per headers on the outside, and waay more than that on the inside..Plus will keep them nice forever...Phillip@Patrick's :D

26. I was just going to ask if you were making collectors as that's what I am doing as we speak!

27. pdq67

pdq67

Heathen,

Please look into the '75 and newer V-8 Monza car top log cast-iron exhaust manifolds and check how they dump.

I kept a set of '55/'56 logs and a set of '57 ramshorns just for a possible V-8 Vega conversion, but kids got in the way, WAY back then!

He, He!

Even had a complete side mount Tri-5 bellhousing kit as well as the front cast-iron P/G ring that was used to mount the old, Olds Hydro to the back of our SB's back then!

We moved, my old parts scrounged up got stored in an old horse barn and over time the horse sh*t ate them up.

All my stuff plus my old junk301 and OEM '67 350SS shortblocks and both my 215" Buick and Olds aluminum engines......

pdq67

28. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Thanks to modifieddriver I found a set of originals and I payed 1200 bucks:eek: for them...took me 10 years and I spend another 985 bucks :eek:on them getting broken studs replaced and having Jerry Mcneish at Camaro High Performance to "re-skin" them so they never discolor ever again...so 2100.00 bucks later I have em done and going on my 1955 chevy 150...gonna run 4 exhaust pipes out the back. It hurts to find out they just released repops and I saw them buyitnow on ebay for 285 bucks...

29. yekoms

yekoms

Who's goin' to be the first guy to post a pic of some Rat Head puttin Fentons on a Chevy upside down with four pipes goin' through a rusty,banged up tractor hood?

I'm just kiddin' don't post a pic if you see it done...
    Smokey

30. Bite your damn tongue!:D