Register now to get rid of these ads!

sold a body 9months ago, got paid in full, still have it....what now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Once he doesn't pay the storage you can put a mechanics lean on it then it becomes your again.

I'm with ya on not puttin' it outside, but what ya gonna do?

Maybe you could rent a storage unit in his name. :D After they bill him awhile they have to deal with it.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Funny how someone can give advice while having no idea what they are talking about.

You are on the right path with what you are doing, and this post is a very good excample of why you don't take certain peoples advice.

Renting a storage unit would not be possible, not in his name anyway. No one will rent a storage unit that way, in someone elses name.

And once something is put in a storage unit, it is no longer yours if the storage fees are not paid. Put it in a storage unit and tell them Joe Blow will pay the fees :rolleyes: Walk away and lose everything :rolleyes: Sounds like a plan to me :D

3. This happened to me with a motorcycle frame I sold on ebay. Guy paid me within 2 days of sale, and said he would set up pick up. So I waited with minimal communication from him....and waited...and waited....until finally after a bucket full of excuses and communication had all but stopped, a YEAR had gone by! ONE FULL YEAR.

I was moving and had nowhere to put it, so I emailed him again as he never answered his phone, told him he had 30 days as I was going to be out by then, and that he better make arrangements. 30 days passed and I resold it.

6 MONTHS LATER he calls! Tells me he's been busy! I tell him the frame is gone! He tells me he's going to hop on his bike tonight, drive the 1000+ miles, and put a bullet in my head! If I would have gotten that kind of urgency earlier there would have never been a problem!

Long story short he never showed up and that was the last I heard from him, and you should re-sell as it's on him to get back to you with somekind of arrangements, and not become his storage service until he's ready to take on the body.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Maybe tell him you already resold it even though you haven't and see if that gets his ass over there. When he shows up, tell him good, here it is, now take it home. If he doesn't respond or show up after that, then he probably won't ever. But, sounds like the official paperwork if the proper way to go. I'd let that ride out first before I actually did anything else with it.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

not buyer beware ...... Seller beware. Cover your own shit . And for crying out loud , stay the f@#%k off fleabay. They will give the $$$$$ back to the buttcrack.

6. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Maybe he has expired...rip

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

i thought this may be a possibility as well

8. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I'd probably take that money and put it into a new interest bearing account. Let it sit there. Do whatever you want with the body, sell it, build a rod with it, turn it into a planter.

If the buyer ever shows up, give him his money back, with the interest. No harm done. This way, no one is hurt.

9. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

pictures of the body please

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Na, dude. If i sell it the cash is stayin in my pocket. Call it a payment for my grief and aggrivation

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I posted a link with loads of pictures earlier. I believe its on the second page

12. kenseth17

kenseth17

Yeah, dude could have kicked the bucket, or in crowbar hotel.

13. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

My guess is either dead or in prison.
    No internet in prison, and no way for him to contact either e-bay or the guy he bought that body from. But if that was the case, he could have had one of his mates pick it up and store it.
    My guess is you will never hear any more from the guy.

14. exactly, send letter by registered mail staing he has 30 days and you are charging sotrage of X amount a day and he forfiets teh car on said date. Must be registered to be legal in court, email and sms doesn't count in court. get his info from ebay.

15. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Whatever you decide, document everything. Documentation beats conversation every time. Unless you have a written agreement confirming the terms of work you performed AFTER the sale, a mechanics lien isn't possible. You're simply storing a body that doesn't belong to you. IF you choose to resell it, he can only go after you for the VALUE of the body (plus court costs depending on the court). If you have sent him at least two certified letters stating your pickup and storage terms, he won't have much of a case. The real burden of proof will be on him. Except for that pesky PayPal payment you received...

Paypal is a different story. They'll give him his money back and make you buy him a new car for taking nine months to deliver it to him. Just kidding! Good Luck!

16. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I don't know if this was brought up. But check E-bay and see if he still has an account and is it still active. Maybe something happen to him.

17. uc4me

uc4me

Spray it with some epoxy primer and toss it outside on a pallet

18. Give me his name and address. I'm going to bill him for my time of reading this of over 100 posts. My time is more valuable than his.:D Maybe I can trade him my bill for the body?

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Hmmm. Small World! This H.A.M.B. is great! I bought a body on ebay, paid for it but my computer crashed right after that and I have lost the contact information. Since Willy bodies are quite rare, I confident that's mine! Pm me and I'll pick it up tonight! Thanks in advance! :D

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Well i guess i lit a spark under his ass. He just wrote me an email, apparently not enough balls to call me. Gave me some more excuses, getting a hitch installed at Uhaul this week, yada yada. Then had the nerve to ask if i could meet him part of the way as it is an 8hour drive one way for him. He said that i will be picked up by Oct 1st (see, in the email i sent i told him that his deadline was Oct 1. In the certified letter i gave him 30 days so Oct 14.)

Well see how this turns out. I bet i dont see him by Oct 1st

21. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

This nimrod isn't from Indiana, is he? I sold a truck box on eBay to a guy in Indiana who after winning the auction, started hee-hawing about picking it up. Then he relisted the box, without picking it up first, stating I misrepresented my original auction. I finally got him to pull the auction and then he made arrangements to pick it up, then delayed and finally made arrangements to pick it up on a Saturday afternoon and after waiting all day at my shop for him he calls at 8:30 telling me he was 4 hours away. When I asked about the arranged afternoon pick up time he starts to bitch me out for the heavy traffic he had encountered. Finally came Sunday afternoon.

Some people are real asses. Fortunately, most people I have encountered via the hobby have been pretty good.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny how some can't see sarcasm from a sage old HAMBER...

23. I would have said "Sure, I will meet you part way, I will have the body out of the garage and waiting at the end of my driveway"

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'd be checking to make sure that payment doesn't try to get reversed somehow if I were you. Seems like it was done on Paypal. Hope you already transferred the cash out of Paylpal and into and account they can't access and also made sure Paypal can't back charge any other account you might have. I wouldn't put it past this guy to try to dispute the charge and then have Paypal do something and put the burden on you to straighten it out and get your money back again.

Or just offer to give the guy his money back and if he takes it be done with him and move on. Maybe just not worth loosing all the hair over. Hopefully the next buyer will be more deserving of it. Sounds like with this guy, you might has well just take it down to the scrap yard, probably same end result. How is he going to be able to build a project when he can't even be bothered to go pick up the body?

25. certified mail-"I have had you car which you have purchased since_. You have one week to pick it up. If i do not hear from you, the contract is void as of_.

26. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Except the OP has to deal with the bank account and it's mail every month, he's gotta pay taxes on that money, he's gotta take the time out of his day to go set up the account and deposit the money...

Why should the OP take one more minute out of his time, take up space in his shop, take up hassle trying to track the guy down, etc. etc. etc. because the guy who bought the body is too lazy or too uninterested to go pick up the property he bought?

The guy is an adult... Men don't behave like that, and when they do, other men don't enable that behavior.

Life has consequences. Buying a car body and then ignoring it while expecting the other person to store it for you should have consequences. Too f'ing bad if you can't act like a man and take care of your responsibilities.

-Brad

27. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Add to all of this that you'll only get 1-2% per year, not worth the hassle.

28. Yeah!

29. Take many pictures of him and his vehicle loaded before he leaves. Get a signed Bill of sale, carbon copy type, with disclaimers, sold as is, per agreement, etc. It will be your safety umbrella if he tries to cancel payment or anything stupid like that.

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Well, the guy actually came and got the body this past weekend. I was suprised to see him come. He told me that he would meet me at my shop 8am saturday, so i had to pack up my toddler and go up to the shop.(my wife works weekends) The guy is an hour and a half late. That kinda ticked me off seeing that we could've slept in for once...

as he was leaving he asked me to mail him a Notorized bill of sale. Lets see what happens when i wait 9 months to get that to him.

Oh yeah, and in todays mail i got a slip from the post office saying he never bothered to pick up the registered letter i sent. It cost me $5 to mail the friggin thing... Lesson learned