Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wireless Dash (Gauges)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Sep 15, 2010.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

A simple way of doing something simple is the Can bus. It is a minimal amount of wires (2) and can be implemented fairly simple. Sure you would need sensors and a CPU, but it might be much simpler than wireless. You have to remember that you still need a power source for the wireless, along with the sensor transmitter and dash receiver boxes.

Zigbee might also be an option if you are set in wireless.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

despite it's off topic for the HAMB, there are a ton of issues to deal with that make it unattractive to pursue. Lights for the dash, where does the power come from to power it. I for one don't want to change batteries in my dash.

3. papajohn

papajohn

Maybe anti-theft. If you took them in the house at night and saw they started to work, you would know someone was driving off in your car!

4. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

they have something for that, it's a modded paintball gun tank with a
    quick connect so you just pop on a tank to your impact and go at it..
    for a very limited ammount of time. lol

5. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

wwhat would be keen is hubless wheel and open geared transmitions and chain drive rearends.

6. I know of a couple hi-end $$$$ yacht/deep sea fishing builders in Lake Union WA that installed something for the fishing towers on a few projects. However, it was ugly as hell, the system looked like a big fish finder/giant I-pod. Single screen with colored digital readouts for GPS/wind direction/RPM/oil pressure, flashing readouts for storm warhings and annoying alarms. On one of the yachts the "captain" was provided with a blackberry app that gave him all the information Course/Heading/GPS/Speed/etc of the yacht no matter where he was in the world.

No back to something, anything traditional

7. Jagman

Jagman

The new Garmin GPS units already have this feature - $200 + the $90 Bluetooth transducer.

You open the gauges screen and can pick any 5 parameters to watch, they have both a digital and analog type readout too. Info comes straight from the OBDII port and transmits via Bluetooth to the GPS unit.

Looks like this....tap any of the gauges on the touchscreen and you can change it to one of about 19 different parameters.

[​IMG]

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Informative..but gross

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Hell, I'd be happy with Speed Racer's Mach 5!

10. sawzall

sawzall

thats cool.. because I could hide it..

this is my "wireless speedo.."

the "wire" allows me to run my iphone to the cars amp. and to charge the iphone on the road.

[​IMG]

11. you mean that you can hear that stuff in your car? Man I gotta get you to build a car for me. :D

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to oput a cigerette lighter in mine so I can charge my cell phone.

12. Large_911

Large_911

On a similar note, one of the products we are working at work are piezoelectric energy harvesters. In short, they turn ambient vibrations into usable power. Granted, these are low power devices, but I have thought about using these to run dash/gauge lights.

BTW - another application for these "harvesters" is wireless sensors. An example application would be to monitor vibration (frequency change) in some type of industrial pump; they can communicate via Blue Tooth.

So, I think one could consider this technology to scavenge usable power from vibration to run some low power accessories.

13. Muttley

Muttley

This kid wants to know if those gauges will work on her ride:

[​IMG]

14. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

The power supply would be wireless, of course!:D

15. Just take up smoking,,,,, all the cool kids are doing it.

16. thesupersized

thesupersized

i want cold welding, where warping is no issue.

17. Slow55

Slow55

OK, I admit iusemygpsforaspeedo and ihaveradialtires.....
    shun me, purist-

18. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

I use my Garmin for a speedo -
    I stick it on the windshield and turn it on
    set it for home (it is always telling me the way home
    no matter where I am) good for finding piizza and coffee too.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010