Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rain Gauge- My 1934 Ford Pick-up Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Aug 23, 2010.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

It takes a lot of courage to be different. I like what I'm seeing. Good luck with the rest of the build.

2. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, your looks pretty sharp!

3. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, I've always thought building hot rods was a matter of personal choice so I do laugh when I hear someone say "it isn't traditional"! The builders I admire most have been pretty creative!

4. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Putting it back together:

Fianally getting it put back together!

Pics. 1-3 Pick-up bed is installed, electrical system is installed, steering etc. ready to go!

Pic. 4 Gauges, A/C, and radio installed. I can't believe how radio systems have changed, the last one I bought cost approx. $200 and it was a simple car stereo system. My granddaughter helped pick this one out and it has all the widgets you can imagine yet cost less than $150.00- amazing!

Pic. 5 Scottybaccus did a great job of telling how to do an alignment on the HAMB board and as a result I was able to get mine aligned in a relatively short time and obviously at no cost- I really appreciate all the help many of you give on this board, I wish I could thank you personally.

Thanks for looking, my truck is now headed for the glass shop (I'm having the windows "glued-in") so it may be several weeks before I get more done.

Attached Files:

5. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

NIce build up...

6. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, still hoping to have it done by Christmas!

7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Unfortunately things don't always go as planned for me, I had hoped to have glass installed by now in my truck but the glass shop has been too busy. As you can probably tell from the photo's, I do most of my work here at the shop and while I appreciate having access to all the tools etc. sometimes my truck gets in the way and as a result it needed some more body work! Oh well, I needed the practice anyway!
    While waiting for the glass shop I've continued to put the Rain Gauge back together.
    Pic. # 1- Grill made from 5/16 inch brake line and chromed. Originally I was going to have it powder coated but decided that even though chrome is a lot more expensive it would look better. I'm glad I did.
    Pic. # 2- Grill and shell installed.
    Pic. # 3- Bed installed, really was a hassle getting it bolted in because of limited space, need to do a better job the next time!
    Pic. # 4- I still hope to be done by Thanksgiving but will need some help from the glass guys. If you know anyone in the DFW area who can cut and "glue in" glass I 'd sure appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks for looking, I'm still having fun!

Attached Files:

8. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Sometimes I think things happen for a good reason, I went thru three auto glass guys who were sure they could do the job and would be ready "next week" only to never hear from them again. Finally located Martin Pitts (Martin's Auto Glass) thru a friend of a friend and really was happy with his work, not only did he do it when he said he would but did many "extra" things for me also- hope he gets a lot of business in the DFW area, he is good.
    Putting the rest of the Rain Gauge back together, brake line attachments at the residual valve were a real problem for me, I don't even want to guess how many ends I made up. I really don't know why I had so many problems, the rest of the connections were fine, but now they are finished and it stops!
    I did get it running yesterday and even put .5 mile on it (in the parking lot!)- a great feeling and I still want to have it finished by Thanksgiving- that may be a stretch!
    Thanks for looking and I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, I know I have a lot to be thankful for.

Attached Files:

9. lawman

lawman

Very nice work and color. Tom (Tired Old Man)

10. Stitchn

Stitchn

How cool is this, you took a body style that so many people like but sometimes are not happy with because of the room inside. I think you did a great job, plus the pickup still looks like a 32-34. Have fun & drive the wheels off it.

11. kma4444

kma4444

Love the wide look

12. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the comments, as I've said several times on this board there are a lot of great members, I only wish I could contribute as much as some of you have.
    Tom

13. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Nice truck, I'm a big fan of 34's. I like what you did. The wide body looks great.

14. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Again Thanks, I like the looks of your pick-up- what are your plans?
    Tom

15. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I had hoped to have everything but the interior finished by now but after getting the front fenders on the tires were too close to the fender for me so I had to order a longer set of shocks. Once the new shocks are in I'll install the front bumper and I should be ready to go but with the holidays and grandkids it may take awhile. Nice to see the end in sight, I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving, I know I have a lot to be thankful for!
    Thanks for Looking.

Attached Files:

16. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Really enjoyed the holidays, ate way too much and spoiled the grandkids enough so that the parents won't talk to me anymore!
    My truck is finally ready to go, new coil-overs in and I like the height. Still having some problems with the rear brakes locking up but several of you have convinced me I just need to drive it to break them in. The interior is not finished and that may take awhile (I will definitely have somone else upholster the seats but haven't decided about the rest of the interior). I intend to just enjoy it for awhile, I hope to see you on the road and wish you a great 2011.
    Tom

Attached Files:

17. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Wide 34 - Lovin' the build. Best wishes for a couple hundred thousand miles of cruzin'.

VR&C.

18. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, I've said several times before this is my last build- now I''m beginning to wonder what I'm going to do with all my free time! I really do have fun doing this.

19. 41 C28

41 C28

Wow!! You did a great job on your truck,you should be very proud.

20. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, I really like the looks of your car- I'd be proud to own that!

21. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

There are some benefits to the miserable weather we've had here the last week, I couldn't go to work so ended up installing the insulation. After checking with several of you I put the Hush mat material on the floor and tunnel and lobucrod's material on the sides and roof. The Hush mat was too expensive to do the entire cab but I felt I needed some in the floor areas. Installation was pretty straight forward but I 'm glad I did it in the cold weather because the Hush Mat is sticky and I can only guess how much trouble it would be in the summer if you don't get it placed exactly right the first time.
    With recommendations from some friends I have located someone to install the upholstery, I would have liked to try it myself but after seeing his work there is no way I could come even close. Hope he does as well on mine as he has on some others.
    Shakedowns with the truck have been mostly ok but I'm having a real problem with the floats in the Edelbrock carb. sticking. I've cleaned them, reset them, etc. and still have problems sporadically. I do have a pressure valve on the system set at 6 lbs. so I don't think that is the problem I did buy the carb. used so maybe something I can't see has been damaged, if anyone has any thoughts I'd sure appreciate the help!
    Stay warm and way to go "PACK"!

Attached Files:

22. 76cam

76cam

On the carb pull out the floats and make sure the screen in the seat isnt in the way or is full of trash. Ive had this problem before.You have to unscrew the neddle and seat to get to the screens there is one on each side.Also if you get trash in the front venturis it will act like its flooding on one side.They are easy to rebuild and the kit is about 45 bucks.

23. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for giving me some ideas, I hadn't thought about the screen being forced to far down the seat. I've never found much trash and the problem is sporadic which can drive me crazy! Gas is forced thru the float bowl onto the back butterfies or thru the front jets which is why I think the floats are sticking. When I pull the carb. apart the needles are stuck in the seats but again I can't seem to find any trash. I'll check the screens and see if I've pushed them too far down.

24. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Some days I think I'm a complete idiot, other days I know I am! Progress really slowed the last month after I picked up a vibration in my 460. I couldn't figure out why but fortunately while having a friend charge my AC system he immediately asked if I had the correct flex plate installed. I explained the 429 going bad and rebuilding a 460 but using parts from the 429 including the flex plate and the harmonic balancer. He thought the 429-460 were different even though the parts interchanged but after checking on the 460ford forum I found out the change ocurred after 1979 and of course I had a 1984 block. Had to tear everthing down and replace both the flex plate and the harmonic balancer weight, I don't think I've damaged anything but will need to watch it carefully for awhile! Lesson learned, get a MANUAL!

25. good work takes time that looks great!!!!!!!!!!

26. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, looks like you've got a good project too!

27. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

With so few build threads being posted, this baby deserves a trip to the top. Great job, love the idea of doing an early truck you can fit in. Went to the Santa Maria F-100 fest a couple years in a row and a great dude let me sit in his A PU. I had no idea they were so small. I'm 6'0" and 205 and it was not even close. My knees were in my chest.
    Great job Wide34. Love the truck love the idea, totally dig the 460 ferd in a ferd. How many miles on her? Since she is 10 or 11 years on the road, have you considered any tweaks?
    Please accept my congratulations across the entire build. If there is a nit to pick, have you thought about a narrower grille? Yeah, I know it affects the grille shell, the radiator and the hood top. But some people just like to think they are never really done.
    Again, awesome build.
    RainGuage.jpg