Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NJ pulling titles on Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin in NJ, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Kevin in NJ

Kevin in NJ

On Saturday I was at a small local show and talked to a guy with a T bucket pickup thing.

It was the basic 454 on a Model A frame with a later V8 front axle and some much newer rear axle. It had a T rad shell.

The guy had to send in pictures of the car when registering it. I am not sure if it was a renewal or what. He had owned the car for a while and he had QQ tags (the NJ historic tags) so I am pretty sure it was a renewal. The state wanted lots of pictures of the exterior from all angles, the interior and the engine.

He told me the pulled the title, I am assuming it was a Model T title, and they are forcing him to get a safety inspection. The state will issue a manufactured vehicle title and make the engine meet the 1974 emissions as the engine is a 1974 engine. They also made him put fenders on the car. I noticed he was driving with regular plates. He was still not 100% sure of what he had to meet to get the title.

I am curious what the NJ program is and someone might want to find out more.

2. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

First I heard of it. I had no problems with my 29 Ford a few yeas ago. Maybe its a new thing.

3. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

his car may NOT be QQ - Historic

they also have Special Interest and Collectors (a triangle Insp Sticker)

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I could be wrong as I've never lived in NJ, but technically I think those things are required when running QQ plates. This is the first I've heard of said rules being enforced.

5. synthsis

synthsis

I've never seen a triangle inspection sticker ever in my life, on top of that, they just killed inspections for a lot of vehicles to save money. Motorcycles, Diesel trucks, some other stuff no longer needs to be inspected at all. Everything else is emissions only, just ran my Dakota through last month, no line at all, only did the sniffer test, in and out in 8 minutes.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's your government in action... gotta get newer vehicles smogged every year, but they'll let those nice "green" diesel trucks alone.

I hate tree huggers and politicians.

-Brad

7. I've never heard of such a thing but I know for sure that a car must have fenders on it to get QQ (historic) registration/plates. In order to get that registration you must submit photos of the car showing front/back and side views of the car. I suspect he sent in pictures of another car or this car before it was modified. He would have to fenders on it (maybe a hood, bumpers, etc) or register it as a Streetrod or Special Interest.
    Keep us posted on this.

8. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Just another reason not to live in New Jersey.

9. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

!st thing is you Shouldn't start a thread " NJ pulling titles on hot rods" if you don't know what your talking about.

sounds like the guy built a kit car without a NJ title or bill of sale, then bought a title/bill of sale somewhere (innernet / swap meet) and is trying to pass it off as a real Ford Model T and got caught by NJMV.

Now I have to ask, if he told you that NJMV pulled the title how is he still driving it around? You need a title/bill of sale in order to get any kind of plates here in NJ. No NJ title means NO registration, so that means NO plates of any kind and let's not forget you need insurance on the car/bike before you can get your registration/plates too.
    Yes, NJMV does want pictures of the car/bike before they give you QQ plates. What's the problem there? one thing it help's, is to keep the UNSAFE RAT RODS off the highways.

The bottom line here is just like any other state in the union, have your car/truck paperwork in order before you start your build.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A guy in a car show told me........

That's all I need to hear until someone can back it up with details and facts from the DMV. JMHO

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet I'm not alone being glad you feel that way...

Back on topic, sounds like the important details were left out to me too. Always remember there's 3 sides to every story...his, theirs, and the truth.

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

This is how the Edelbrock rumors got started

13. Griznant

Griznant

Whenever I smell raccoons and cheap cologne I know I'm in New Jersey

(my sis lives there and we give her crap ALL the time, but she never disagrees :))

14. I'll bet you wouldn't say that if Tony Soprano was on the HAMB.......:)

15. crazycory1

crazycory1

Makes me wonder where / how he titled it the first time. If he used a title company thats more than likely why they questioned it. Alot of those places are scams. They get the job done to get a title, but they go the wrong way about it.

16. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

well that's one way to look at it.
    all I know is I built a HD chopper from parts with no paperwork(tittle) once and NJMV came to my house to inspect, then I had to truck it over to them for one more inspection. After the 2nd inspection NJMV pass it, gave me somemore paperwork and off to NJMV office in Trenton, walked out of there a few hours later with title/bill of sale and plates and was riding the same day.
    as for my 40, bought it with NY title had that changed over into my name at NJMV, built the truck from a bare frame and cab, got it running took pictures and off to NJMV had plates (QQ) the same day.

as for New Jersey itself, nothing wrong here that your state doesn't have
    "Tax's and a$$holes in office" it's everywhere not just here!

17. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

We don't have those Jersey Shore gold chainers in The Great State of Missouri. (to be honest there are a few in The Hill neighborhood of St. Louis, but thats a long way away from me)

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Alright, I gotta be a bit of an asshole here...sorry, in advance!
    I've been hearing that goddam rumor for over 30 years now. I don't know if it's one jackass who spreads it around, or several. But I've heard it every damn year. Slight variations, like they're going to everyone's home with QQ's and pulling them if it's a modified car. ANY modified car cannot get QQ plates any more. They're gonna make all QQ cars go through a "special" inspection and most won't come out alive! They're going to make it impossible for modified cars to get registered in this state!
    Jeeeez. I'm so tired of this crap, if I hear anyone tell me this I'm gonna pop him in the nose! Quit spreading those dopey rumors!

19. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

the easy way to get through the dmv and titleing a hotrod is lie lie lie! nothing rong with a little lie.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Somebody said, right here on the H.A.M.B. "JC WHITNEY is out of business!

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Will trade you The Cubs for Jersey Shore Mutts, no The Situation, send to Dirty Jobs. Will be the fatality job, body not recovered.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Here in Colorado, somebody said that 98 percent of them politicians give the rest a bad name. :D

23. What's the benefit of having historical plates? I see them here in NY but I don't know why people get them. Maybe they just want to feel special.

24. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here in Jersey some guys with rods,customs,and whatever is 25 years or older do it to avoid the inspections and there's also a one time only registration fee, when I did mine in '84 it was 41 bucks, as long as you keep the registration current.....Rich

25. pdq67

pdq67

I am NOT going to hunt up NJ's motor vehicle statutes and reg's, so do your homework big-time so you KNOW the LAW of NJ concerning vehicles!

I pretty-much know MO's stuff since I've been involved in creating MO rule 10 CSR 10-5.381 and pony-tail Chuck D. in the St. Louis I/M Program is a Buddy of mine! Love the guy!!!!!

pdq67

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

one time registration is the biggest plus.

27. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

LOL....so true.

As for those who think that NJ is no different than any other state, I've lived in 6, in every area of the country, and have found that those that hold to the "no different" statement have likely lived here their entire lives. Just sayin'

In TN, registration isn't based on the car's value, there's no such thing as inspection, and the people at the court house are on the same side of the law as you are in regards to most matters.....especially CARS.

28. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

I thought it was skunks. I didn't know you could smell a raccoon.

29. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep; I feel special! Horseless Carriage plates cost me $13 total for five years.
    Regular Plates would be $325 total for five years;
    ($65 a year right now, with increases in the future a certainty).

At least for the next 4 years it don't cost me a nickle.
    The difference is over $300 in the bank. :D

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in MI the historic plate deal can get complicated. If you drive it daily, no historic plate. If you drive it daily, get hit, better have a good reason why you were driving it or your insurance can be voided. "My regular daily is broke..." doesn't qualify. Shows, parades, maintainence are the main guides.