Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some Dude was taking pictures of my cars. I'm I being paranoid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 14, 2010.

1. So my neighbor saw some guy taking pictures of my cars today. Mainly my girlfriends Falcon. it was broad daylight. He gave me a good description of the guy.....Who road the bus...I was going outside to confront him when the bus came and picked him up down the street. I've already decided to move her car to a secure location tonight. I'm just kinda surprised. it's not the nicest car here, it's a 4 door, crappy paint. Maybe a Falcon enthusiast just wanting some pictures? I know that a previous owner lives near by. Maybe it was him? Should I be worried? what would you do? I've got a bunch of old cars around most of them parked outside. I stay up late and have room mates so usually some one is here. I also live less then 3 blocks from the precinct...... I've never really been worried about this until now.

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

If you're a light sleeper, and have the Tommygun in your avatar, I think you'll be ok!

Seriously, that would concern me. Who rides a bus to go look at a car?

3. Way I figure it you can admire another mans possesions from a distance, (house, car, girl) but if you want to start taking pictures of them in a setting that's not out for all to see, you better damn well get permission from him first.

4. Labold

Labold

Better get a new girlfriend.

Seriously, that would have me suspicious too but really what can you do other than some strategic parking and staying up all night watching it.
    Might be a good time to up that insurance policy.

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Maybe he was taking pictures for the HAMB Falcon board.........to talk about his barn find that he saw........I would keep an eye on your stuff for the next couple of weeks.......was the guy a "hood rat" or a "city inspector" looking guy?

Chris

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I never leave a classic car parked outside. Old car are easier to steal then new ones.

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

thats real wierd. Thats why i live in the boonies away from people

8. AntiBling

AntiBling

Did the guy get dropped off there, take a picture of the car, and then get back on a bus?

If not, I wouldn't worry, probably joe blow who doesn't have a car saw a "neat old car" or given today's current society, "a kick ass rat rod", took a picture while he was walking by and got on a bus.

9. He's the Nigerian internet scammer! " Please send money to my account in Dubai so I can save my dear ol grannys falcon from the evil crusher in the usa..... "

Seriously tho, I'd be making sure thing are nicely secured over the next while around your place .

10. In my town it usually means someone is going to turn you into the code nazis. Maybe he is a college photog student. I remember when I was in school I was supposed to take stop action pictures. So I saw a lady riding a bike and took some photos of her (no she wasn't no babe).

I went on to take some pther pictures because the light was good for some landscape shots and soon enough a cop rolls up and wants to know what the hell I'm doing. Then he tells me about the complaint. I guess the lady thought I was stalking her.

11. It's on my property but completely visible to the street.

to be honest he had long hair and was kinda "artsy" looking coffee house type"

True they are easier to steal, But all 6 of my "classics" won't fit in my two car garage.

Don't know really. But he did wait at the bus stop for a bit. the thing is I have other "cooler" cars parked out side too. But I don't think he took pictures of them.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did he have a camera or a phone?

my neighbor had a truck broken into outside. he put a sign on it afterwards " STEAL HERE, DIE HERE" nobody has stolen his stuff since.

13. Come on, you live in the boonies because that's where your parents live and you still live at home.:D

14. perhaps a camera system on the house? if you have old cars parked outside and you live in the city, it helps.

its expensive but its pretty cool. i have the same problem. got one of my classics broke into, so security cameras were installed. pretty cool you can see whos coming to the front door without them seeing you. and they record movement up to a month. so youv got their theiving hands on tape.

15. code nazis would not be awesome. I'm not to concerned though as he wasn't taking pictures of the house. Also I do live across the street from a community college.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  16. yeah, I'm already looking into it.

17. I was told camera and that he took multiple pictures from different angles.

18. Very light sleeper....but the Tommy gun causes to much collateral damage...

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

these are cool
    http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/motion-activated-security-cameras.html

i also have an internet feed live type camera..and a few other things i care not to say.

I wouldnt be too paranoid..but i would keep things monitored..and if you see this going on and hear of shit coming up missing in your hood..than i think you got a classic "casing the joint" going on.

I was sitting in my livingroom one night , no cars in the driveway..looked like i was gone.
    the shades were almost closed completely..i was sitting on the couch having a beer, and talking to my dog, when i saw this 20or so aged kid..walk up my front walk onto my porch, and when he saw the small flashing green light from my camera system, he turned around and walked away..
    i live on a no nothing street..dead end to boot..he had nothing in his hands to sell or give to me..
    needless to say his image is still on my hard drive..clear as as the nose on your face.
    and i think he knows it too:cool:;)

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had to leave one of my oldies outside for a while. I chained it to a pole.

21. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

A Friend of mine was having issues and just went to radio shack and got a couple of those fake surveillance cameras and ran a wire out of them (high enough so they couldn't be reached) and made them look set up. They even have a red blinking light. He hasn't had an issue since. I think he spent about 100 bucks doing it.

22. AntiBling

AntiBling

If you're really worried about your cars pluck the coil wire out of them. Listen for someone trying to crank them over. Proceed with weapon of choice.

23. hopefully its just for school photo class. more than likely it is.altho riding the bus is a bit odd.

i got cought looking in an old abandoned yard at some old 1 ton trucks and turned out it was just a college girl taking pictures for school. im not into new technology but sometiems it takes the new to protect the old. good luck

anti-has a good idea, i do that when i have to leave something parked on the street.

24. Plymouth

Plymouth

I live in Pa back a few yrs we had that bad BLIZZARD.. anyways the snow cracked my driveway.. So I called the insurance guy he sends out a rep tells me its from expansion... its pushing down not up I tell him to leave.. ( "the nice way" )

He doesn't and stays on the sidewalk takes pictures I called the Police they tell me as long as he stays on the side walk I can not do anything about it !

Easiest thing to do is move the car..

25. shainerman

shainerman

ive been dealing with the same thing every week lately. I park my car infront of my house on the street EVERY NIGHT. At first I couldnt sleep, then got a little better, now im fine. HOWEVER, I see people on a daily basis checking it out. Most are because its just and old cool car, but if theres anyone suspicious, im at the car within seconds asking what their intentions are. Im a pretty passive guy, but Ive learned since moving into my new neighborhood I had to stake my claim fast. I have had no issues with any attempted break in yet, but I have told a few shit disturbers to come try anytime and see what ends up taking place. I havent seen any of them since.

26. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Actually that is true. If your on a public street you can legally photograph anything you can see. So make it so no one can see it from the street.

27. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

28. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Could be just a photography student, old car enthusiast or some poser who wants a pic so he can say it's his car on the net somewhere, hard to tell these days but it's definetly good to keep an eye out for thieves and such.

If someone comes into my yard at night I have a dog that will let me know, loudly. Then all I have to do is open the door and let her out :D

29. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I wouldn't guess at his intentions. I'd play it safe.......sleep in the car tonight with the tommy-gun. Shoot first, then ask questions.

Seriously, taking off the coil wire/listening for trouble is a great idea. But you might want to consider a better long-term plan to keep the car safe.

It IS insured for like $100,000 though, right? ;)

30. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

To a dude who ride the bus that 4-door falcon is a dream! He's saving coin to buy one someday.