Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Blown Caddy? Pics? Help? SUPERCHARGER 101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbleed, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I think I need to have a blower on my 331. I can't sleep because of it.

I'm pretty sure that if I don't put a blower on this engine I am LAME.

I want a V belt drive 471 and I plan to run two SP top strombergs on the top.

So what do I need? I am sure it will be impossible to find a complete set up and if I did there is no way I could afford it.

I know about the Cragar intake ($$$$).... but I think I can make one...

I think I can make one out of my edmunds 2x2 intake......

Then what would I need to do for the drives and such?

I don't really know much about this stuff, but it seems like I should be able to piece together/ fab everything I need pretty cheap. I have some pretty good resources for making stuff.. and some pretty smart guys to help me.

So anyone have pics? Advice? I am an idiot and know nothing, but I need this.

Anyone have cool vintage 471 stuff? drives? pullys? etc. I have stuff to trade.... any leads would be awesome!

This engine is going in my 3 window..... It's the one out of the white truck.

Thank you.

2. squirrel

squirrel

from the cover of Hot Rod mag, back in the mid 50s

Attached Files:

3. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

wow..... that rules!

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Have you considered Ambien instead? :D

-------------
    I've never run a blower nor helped set one up but I've considered it; here's what I know (so it's book-learnin', not do-it learnin').

4-71 = 284 cubic inches (in diesel) so you are a little undersized for a 331. It will work though, just won't give as much boost.

V-belts will slip. No problem, you just won't make as much boost. (I think they are a great idea for a street motor, sort of self-regulating boost-wise).

Two Strombergs might not be enough carb volume? Old rule of thumb is about 600 CFM needed for normally aspirated (cubic inches times two, less a little), 800-900 CFM for blower (again depends on boost level). If you don't get enough carb volume while you are making boost you can lean out the motor and blow it up.

To make a intake, you need some fabrication skills and maybe a plasma cutter, at least a good welder. If you start with an aluminum manifold (which I presume your Edmunds 2x2 is) you will need TIG equipment/skills too. I'd suggest you instead look for a bunged-up manifold (stripped carb threads, cracked, etc) and use it, or just start with intake gaskets for a pattern; use a plasma cutter and make your own with steel plate and steel box tubing.

Plus you need all the other "normal" supercharger stuff - blower bearings, a hub, bigger fuel lines, blow-off valve, belts, good spark, etc.

----------
    Sominex and such are just antihistamines, same product as Benedryl, they do make you drowsy though, and are available over the counter. :D

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that a plasma cutter was not used in the making of this blower setup....

Attached Files:

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Free donuts for Squirrel ! Yeah, you can do it other ways, plasma is easiest way these days to cut plate steel.

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

I made the patterns for these logs and casted them.

I have the ability to make a blower manifold if enuff people want them...

Attached Files:

• side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      379.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Cragar (and others) made all the manifold and drive stuff
    and H&H makes a 2x2 top adapter

it's all pretty straightforward stuff though,
    a guy with a mill and lathe could make everything needed

I heard rumor Squeek Bell had some of this stuff,
    and Brock49Ford too

maybe one of them will post a picture or two

two Strombergs would look cool, Beatnik Bandit style
    but won't flow enough for much more than putting around

9. choptop37

choptop37

you need lots mre carb, boost referencing will help a lot,i can help ya with that. a 471 will make plenty of boost if geared right. build the motor with a decent compression{ 8.5 ish} so its not soggy off the boost.but if this works youll find boost is the new crack. also good exhaust flow ,cooling, and strong ignition are a must. look into a msd btm box, much safer for pump gas.

10. I agree, you'll need more carbs. If you are using Strombergs, there is no power circuit you would need to boost reference. Boost referencing ties the secondary enrichment (power valves) to manifold pressure so when you hammer it and the vacumm goes away, the secondaries are enriched just like if it directly on the manifold. If your carbs don't have power valves you really can't do that.

I have a killer 4-71 4 x 2 stromberg top.
    I may be talked out of. It may take some magnesium. [​IMG]

I had the 4-71 on a 283. I ran it 1:1. It made almost 10 pounds at full tilt. The 283 was low compression like 7:1 and the thing was a little soft until you got the R's going. But it also ran cool and never pinged and was a fricking blast.

If you build to 8.5:1 I would stay right at 1:1 and you won't make as much boost because of the extra displacement and it'll be good.

If you build lower static compression, I'd overdrive a bit to get the boost. You'll like the boost.

All the blower cam profiles add about 10 dregrees of duration to the exhaust. You don't need a lot of duration on the intake because the manifold is pressurized and when the valve opens the cylinder fills baby. 110 - 112 degrees lobe separation and rock on. Pick your RPM range and rock. I'd aim at 3000-6000 for a good time.

See if you can find a magneto and have the mechanical advance curve built to put in about 7-8 degrees of advance at the distributor. You will want around 18-22 initial with 34 max degrees. 34-20 = 14 degrees total at the crank = 7 degrees built in to the dizzy. Vertex can do this for about 120 bucks. They just set up a magneto for me.

Oh yeah, Dennis Obrien has a cool 6 x 2 top for a 4-71. Read all the FAQ's on www.blowerdriveservice.com There is a lot of good information on there. Aren't Caddy's already made with the forged good stuff? The bottom end should be fine. Pat Ghanal's Street Supercharging Book is a real good read to. He is of the school you can throw a blower on any stock engine and have a strong runner if you keep the boost and RPMs within reason.

I also have a plate that BDS sells to adapt a 4-71 to a 6-71 intake. This plate could easily be installed on an existing single 4 intake or you could easily fashion one up. Once you get your drive configured and your pulley on the crank, you could locate the plate on the intake for proper alignment. You can get away with a single key on a billet harmonic balancer if you aren't going nuts with it. I know I did it. I rung it out often too. DW eventually chucked his balancer but you know what he was doing! I'd consider drilling a dowel in the crank through the hub in addition to the single key if you don't add a second key for your hub or balancer. Don't use a cast balancer if you can avoid it. That is what is driving your blower.

Get Don Hampton to do your blower. He is the man.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  11. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Wow thanks for all the info....... allright..... four strombergs it is....

12. Jaker

Jaker

Agreed!

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I am running a 471 on a 331 CI SBC with a single 750 cfm carb, 6% underdriven it makes 6-7 PSI of boost.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've always wanted to run a 4-71 on either an Olds or I even thought about my 265 in my '35. That would be ridiculous.

Hey bob, is this for the '32?

15. Bob, if you don't put a blower on this engine you are GAY. And not in the good way.;) The two boys in one sleeping bag way.

16. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

The manifold on the left is the same style on the magazine cover about. Tom Beatty manifold for a pruned case 4-71. I am planning on running 2 of the 2GC style carbs on a 331 with the Beatty intake and snout. Probably still under carbed, but it will enough as it will be a street car.

The other 2 are the Cragar 4-71 intakes. I have all the stuff to do a Cragar 2" drive except the pulleys (which I will buy once ratios are determined) and a Hilborn 2 port. I hope the other will use a Cragar 3V belt setup (...still shopping) and a Weiand 4-2bbl 4-71 top.

For what it is worth, I would not cut up an Edmunds, it has good sale value. I think you would be better off building a manifold designed for a blower than modifying one with runners. A Horne or Cragar 4-2bbl would be the best to use, but way to valuable to cut anymore.

I know just enough to be dangerous. I am still in the collecting and building stages. PM me if I can be of any help.

Attached Files:

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Someone here made a 4-71 intake for a HEMI from an Edmunds 2x2 and it looked good – so you're on the right track there. So seems like he would have a lot of the problems and measurements worked out.

Finding the V-belt stuff would be the biggest problem I would think. (If you had to have Cragar stuff anyway)

18. choptop37

choptop37

+1 to what tudor says, im not a good typist so i keep it short.make sure you at least double key your balancer.you could aslso run without one. or have a steel one made.i think as cool as strombergs are youll not have a very good time with them, rochester 2 barrels would be as cool and way easier to setup, or even demon 98s if you got Roccos money! for the time and effort youll have into it a leanout will really ruin your day. also get a cam with a wide spread 112-114, as and keep the duration short,add 10 deg to the exhaust to get it out, for good response and off boost power.plus if your running an old auto { like a hyrdo} you wont need any converter,youll have instand tire frying tourqe on tap.and you will be gay if you dont do this.im pretty stoked about it myself.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1962, I had one of Joe Reath's old 331 Chryslers, O'Ringed heads, flat top pistons.
    Got a 6-71 from Hansen's Supercharger Service, (friend deal, reversed, steel gears, neoprene seals)
    Bought a Weiand snout, went to Moon for V-belts & pulleys, 1:1. Weiand upper manifold, 6 97s.
    In 1962, this Chrys in a '46 Ford Club Coupe was a hot number on the street...but the pulleys were a nightmare. Pinned the crank hub, tapered 1/8".

20. Here are a couple more manifold photo's,

Attached Files:

21. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

I have pictures of a nice homemade 4-71 intake on another PC, I will try and post pictures tonight. (I think that it was original on a little Thames or Anglia that a guy who worked at Limeworks owned if memory serves.) I have notes at home, might be worth checking in to.

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I posted this picture in another thread,
    a "wall hanger" carburetor adapter I picked up,
    for two three bolt carbs on top of a 4-71

'had to at least set in on the Olds to see what it would look like :)

I have read the 94s came in some fairly large sizes,
    maybe that would get you the look you want and still run ok?

the two carb look would be killer,
    I like Brock's plan, two large 2GCs should work good and look bitchin too

[​IMG]

23. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

another 2x2 setup on a famous car,
    sorry, this one's on an Olds too

I would think this setup would work fine for driving into and out of an indoor show :)

[​IMG]

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ya know two 94's can't put out a ton more then a single WCFB Cadillac Carb right? If all else fails and you have to run a 4bbl for a while well then....that's rad too. If it's good enough for Norm then it's good enough for me!!! I love the way this setup looks...

[​IMG]

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

didn't VonFranco post a picture of his Lightning Bug with some borrowed blower parts on his Cadillac?

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I do believe that you are correct.

28. Here is the S.C.o.T. on my .060 over 331 in my 40 and the "Tom Beatty" 5 V Belt drive 471 on my 390 in my Roadster. I can even run a stock fuel pump with the 471. JohnnyCola has been here in Mesa and seen them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hate you DaveyDeuce. Those are awesome.

30. Sorry, been collecting for years!!! HEE HEE HEE