Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New job (!) that my wife is already dreading...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vance, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

After about five years in college working towards an IT degree and for the last three +years, I've been working at least one part-time job, (two for the last year and a half) while in school, I finally nailed my first full-time job in my degree field. I'm trading in my 2 part-time jobs for one full-time job. This gig is full-time with benefits and two weeks of vacation in the first year. Not bad for an entry level job, huh? Oh, and they offered me $4K more than I asked for!

But the benefit on a humorous note that my wife is dreading is that the place is right next door to Brookville Roadster!!! She's already telling me to get the paperwork ready for direct deposit! I told her that I'm already setting up a direct deposit to Brookville's account.

I start work on Monday morning and parts shopping at lunch!

Vance

2. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Nice!!! Congrats!!!:D

3. Congrats on the job, maybe Brookville has a layaway plan?

Bob

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Sounds like a plan.

5. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

SWEET !!! Congrats on the new job ..

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Let Brookville cash your paycheck every week and give you back just enough to make it until next payday. You'll be surprised how fast that roadster body will be paid for (and how fast a lawyer can write up divorce papers).:eek::D

Frank

7. Your wife is a SMART woman - she already knows what you'll be up to! We all have that car disease that likes to eat away at our wallets and savings -- have to find ways to "feed the beast" and your financial future all at the same time!

Strike a balance -- let the car projects take a bit more time and do as much as you can yourself . . . while creating a good future for you and your family. It can be done, but the trade-offs are necessary (at least for most of us). I can't imagine ever having ENOUGH hotrod money . . .

8. "Hello, my name is Tim and I am a addict........" :D

9. "Hello, my name is Tim and I am an addict . . . I bought two quarter panels and a deck lid today . . ."

HAMB Reply: "Hi Tim! Thanks for the donation, now please take a seat . . . you have a long way to go, but you made good progress today!"

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

you planned it that way.congrats on tour new career.

11. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

I got a roadster for my wife!!! Good trade I think.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool but dangerous! lol

13. Congrads on your new job , next to the dream factory, You a lucky man,,,,Sam

14. motorhead711

motorhead711

15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You are new and just starting out so if you adjust your thinking now you will have no problems.
    When you see a roadster body or any hot rod part you want, you check the price and double it...It takes you a bit longer to aquire it but the second half of the price goes directly into your wifes account...You get the parts and get to keep the wife...Works for me.

16. sbaker

sbaker

now dont get me wrong, congrats on the new career buddy, but all of you are cool about using repop bodies, but everybody here hates flamethrowers? i dont get it.

17. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

We already have a deal where I get to spend $.50 of every dollar she spends on clothes on car stuff. The way she buys clothes, I could be cruising in a new RPU in no time.

bored&stroked - I do as much as I can on my own; the last hot rod I had was my '34 5W and I chopped it myself and it was my first chop. I plan on doing it all next time around too. That's half (or more!) of the fun!

Vance

18. I got the car before the job, well sorta, I'm about to get out of the Navy, have no job lined up, but I have the car, best part, my wife even likes it. Even though her nickname for it is POC. I think that means Pretty Old Car. anyways, good luck with the new job and the car hunt.

19. aaggie

aaggie

Being an IT professional can literally drive you to drink. I loved it when I responded to a service call from someone that worked in a cubicle with five others that could send files to a printer but he couldn't so the printer must be broken. If you let it get to you it will burn you out in a hurry. Learn too turn it off at 5:00 and don't take out your frustrations on the wife.

20. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Welcome to the wonderful world of IT :)

What are you doing? Linux Admin here

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Sounds like torture to me .Have to work and know theres deuces being built and sold next door .The irony ,Id be eating lunch with the brookville guys

22. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I've been working in the industry for 3-4 years and learned that a long time ago. That goes with any job.

Right now I'm just an office network/user support guy. Keeping the desk jockeys up and running.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck on the new job. If you stashed the current price of a pack of cigarettes in this state every day for four years you would pretty well have the price of the Brookville 32 Roadster body stashed away.
    I used to work with two women who saved their dimes for vacation. They would break a 20 before handing you a dime because those went in the jar for vacation and they went on damned good vacations every year.
    Meaning if you started a body fund and put a bit in it on a regular basis and didn't touch it you could walk over there and look for a cash deal in not all that long a period of time.
    Sounds like you will have interesting lunch breaks though.

24. switchkid0

switchkid0

Maybe if you can make pals with the Brookville guys, they can set you up with some "factory seconds". I'm sure that even something that doesn't pass their QC is better than what a lot of guys start out with.
    Or, if you can be a really good pal, they might need an IT guy down the road a piece. When my computer is sick I'll damn near give a nut away to get it fixed. Maybe do some website work for a door... remove a virus for a cowl... really starts to add up.
    Good Luck with the new job.

25. hot rodding can ruin relationships. good luck.

26. Everybody??
    Well you sure are a mine of information there bud.
    I don't recall any unanomous survey done on this. :eek:

27. skwurl

skwurl

My wife would be mad if I didn't work out a payment plan with them. It's almost like I'm the one that has to say no about getting a new project. Three things I get no flack for buying are tools because I'm a 15 year auto tech, guns, and old cars-parts. I guess I go it pretty good.

28. skwurl

skwurl

Have you ever seen a Brookeville body? They are way cooler than flamethowers

29. sololobo

sololobo

Take the "big" lunch box, the Johnny Cash approach, and get it one piece at a time! Sweet torture location--Good luck with the new gig. ~Sololobo~

30. zeropercrandc

zeropercrandc

Ha vance I thought thag was you walking around the shop.... congrats on the job...