Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cameras we use for shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserchief, Sep 11, 2010.

1. I've seen a lot of posts in the past of shows and even girls we've shot over the years
    but thought it might be cool to hear back on the cameras we love to use to take these shots, I've been using a small HP 3.2 mp cameras for a few years and now I'm looking to upgrade to something with more mega pixels like a Canon Rebel. So lets here and see some feed back on cameras and the pics we love to take with them. If it weren't for cameras we would only be able to read how cool these cars were and that's seriously lame. Here's one of my favorite pics I've taken with mine.its the front of my 34 Plymouth. Greaserchief

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

mostly the Argus brick

:)

(trying in vain to make this post on topic)

Attached Files:

3. synthsis

synthsis

If you want to be semi-serious about shooting you need to move to an SLR camera. It will give you so much more control over every aspect of the shot from exposure to ISO, etc. You can even pick up a used Nikon for a couple hundred bucks with a lens or two. On the flip side, I like shooting film too out of one of my old cameras.

4. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

I really hope some people chime in on this. I have been thinking about buying a desent camera lately. I like the Canon EOS 10.1 mp. However, I don't know the first thing about "good" cameras. I want to take nice pictures. Good idea, or go with something else?

5. Troyz

Troyz

I use a Canon 30D with a 28-135mm ultrasonic lens at shows. It's not the highest megapixel or the best lense but as the new stuff comes out the price on this stuff really drops. It has done a great job for me.

6. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

I use a FujiFilm S1000fd - it has a lot of control and a great auto setting. It is a great camera for under 200.00 It is replaced now with the S1800 and S2550 - Amazon seems to have the best prices on them.

Attached Files:

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm gonna let this OT post go simply because I love cameras...

I believe that it is senseless for anyone to own a DSLR if all they are gonna do is set it on auto exposure and use it as a point and shoot. It's a waste of both money and equipment.

Instead, guys that just want to point and shoot should get something like a Panasonic LX5. It's an incredible little camera that can out perform many DSLR cameras in auto mode. If you are on a budget, look for a used LX3. I have one and LOVE it. Don't let the size fool ya... It's incredibly capable.

Here's a sample shot from mine in low light... This was shot in dynamic black and white (that's a setting in the camera) and wasn't fooled with at all in photoshop:

[​IMG]

All that said, if you are really into photography and love getting creative, nothing can beat a rangefinder camera in my opinion... Every manual control is at your finger tips and you find yourself in as a raw of a photographic environment as you can be in. It's like driving an old car - VERY rewarding...

I lucked myself into a used Leica M8 a few months ago and have been having a ball with it. It's no M9, but it's glorious all the same and it has changed the way I shoot.

Attached are some quick examples using a 50mm cron lens made in 1958 mounted on the M8.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      132.4 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      58.8 KB
      Views:
  8. I have been posting car show photos on this board for a couple of years now. Most of my older threads(and a few new ones) were all shot with a pocket size point and shoot.Its an older Nikon coolpix and it does the job,fast i might add.I can walk a large show in a lil over an hour and get pretty much all the cars i want.Memory card i use will hold almost 2000 photos,so theres always room for more...

Lately i have been posting threads that are photos taken with film.For this i have been using my old Nikon F with a wide angle(heavy camera..haha).Or if i dont feel like lugging around a brick,i'll use the much smaller Canonet QL17 GIII.Both cameras take really good shots if you are familiar with manual stuff.You can pick up a Canonet for under $100..good entry level old 35mm.You can use it as a manual or fully auto with built in meter..

Theres tons of options out there,both digital and film.I guess its all about what you wanna do with it and how much $ you have laying around for it!

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I still use my 1947 twin lens Graflex, on the left, for a particular effect.
    I've been using it at the drags and car shows since 1961.
    [​IMG]
    I'm now using a Nikon D80 with several lenses. The camera does things that I will never master.
    Most guys use a "single lens reflex" (SLR) camera today. This means that you look through the lens and not through a separate "view finder". What you see is what you will get.
    Whatever you buy, buy an SLR.
    I've had Nikons as my choice of small format cameras for 40 years, but, again, many folks love their Canons. I would have bought one had I not been so pleased with my Nikon film cameras over the years.

But, take it from someone who made a living shooting photos for over 40 years.....
    You are better off with a medium priced camera while shooting with a keen "eye".
    What I mean is, a camera's quality and features are only as good as YOU.
    Think about what you want the viewer of your photos to see.
    Do you want them to see a piece of machinery or do you want that machine to have a style or mood?
    Anybody can shoot a photo of a car.
    But making the car come alive or tell a story or capture a feeling...well, that's where YOU come in.
    It's not how much money you spend, it's that person behind the camera.

Do you want this kind of Bonneville?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or this kind of Bonneville?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck....SLR-yes
    ..................big bucks-NO

A camera is a tool, no different than a wrench.
    The work that they do is only as good as the person using them.

10. Troyz

Troyz

love your post Mazooma1.

11. 2002p51

2002p51

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just cant beat Nikon unless you want to get really serious. Even then if you wish to stay digital you cant go past the D3X.

13. If I want to spend the time to do it right I dig out my Nikon D70 with a Nikon 24-120 lens. I really enjoy the flexibility the lens gives me. Canon image stabilizing lens are outstanding too but I like the Nikon system better overall. I have a 12 megapixel Sony Cyber Shot for just random point and shoot. If I want something with more depth then I use my N90 35mm or my Yashicamat 124 medium format and scan the slides or negatives. The Sony does 75% of the work anymore.

14. mrrocket

mrrocket

I have a Canon EOS Rebel which im getting used to, its does well. My wife LOVES her Pentax K100D Digital SLR! It is easy to learn, has great simple options (easier than my Canon) and takes a better image IMHO. You can check her stuff out at http://www.flickr.com/photos/onblonde

She has hers set up very simply and gets great shots...not car shots, but you'll get an idea of different looks.

15. 61TBird

61TBird

My everyday,with me at all times camera is a 3 y/o Canon SD1000.
    7.1 mp and with a 4gb card and the largest setting(3072x2304) I can take more than enough pics and video.
    These were taken and all adjustments are with the camera(b/w,positive film and macro)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a Pentax K1000 that I really need to "break out" more often....

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ryan, I agree and disagree with your statement. For the average Joe, a Point and Shoot is just fine and it will do everything you want. There are times when a DSLR even at full auto can be a better choice then other point and shoot. The main reason is the lense choice. I used to be a SLR film guy and then when digital came out went with a point and shoot. the main draw back is being able to get close enough to the subject (in this case the cars, either inside or outside) that you could take a shot and not have half of the spectators in your view. a DSLR will allow a choice of lenses to allow you to get up close and get the entire car in the shot. (not saying there are not some point and shoots that wont do it, just not many). It was my main driver for switching back to SLR.. and with time my SLR knowledge has crept back in.

All I can say, is when chosing a camera, figure out how you are going to use it and then when trying them out in the store try to capture that field (I knew that 90% of my shots would be outside car shows, 9% indoor and 1 percent other). For me when I did find a good point and shoot model the first time, I estimated the length of a car in the store (length of a display cabinet) and then stood back until I could get it all into focus.. if i had to step back to far, I went looking for a different model and searched online specs until I found one. Knowing what I know now, I would take a entry DSLR like a Cannon rebel before considering a point and shoot. it has options that can be added as your knowledge grows (like filters or larger flashes for indoor shooting)

I have a Rebel right now but looking at what my next step up will be in the Cannon field (was looking at them last week) so I can keep the different lenses I have bought over the years.

17. see now this is what I'm talking about. I love taking photos but not real up on camera lingo, what is ISO and what other acronyms should we learn. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive camera that will take killer shots but isn't real hard to learn, and i can buy more accessories like kens and things. There are alot of guys here that love taking pictures and i'm hoping my thread will help them as well as me. thanks for the response guys

18. Church

Church
    from South Bay

If you don't have a good grasp of lighting, composition and contrast, then I don't think it really matters what camera you buy. At that point, you are just documenting a place you have been or a specific moment in time without taking any sort of artistic license. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Check some of my photo posts. They were all taken with a camera that fits in my pocket. Sure I give up a little control, but convenience is nice too. Any action shots are out of the question, low light pics are grainy, but I think the pics speak for themselves. Not to mention the macro is AWESOME!!!

Hell, The Rodder's Journal used one of my shots as a full bleed double truck spread on their table of contents page. It was taken with a 3.2 megapixel camera.

Issue 4 of my mag were all taken with my older pocket digital. I think it was a Canon Powershot 740is. I now use a 940is.

Attached Files:

19. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

We have a Canon Rebel T2i. It seemed to be the best bang for the buck when we bought it. But that being said, we are still trying to learn all the controls...

20. dgang26

dgang26

Nikon D300 & D700 -- and lots of FAST glass (newest one being the new Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR2

21. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I use a Canon EOS Rebel XSI, though prior to that I got some really good results with a Canon Powershot SD600 point and shoot.

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Coby is right.
    His shots are always killer and it's his "eye" that makes the difference.
    The whole big deal about maga-pixels is highly exaggerated.
    All the cool technology in the world won't capture that perfect shot. Only you can do that.

23. What he said - also if you DO have a good grasp of lighting, composition and contrast then it also doesn't matter what camera you use......

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Coby is a perfect example and one of the leading reasons I believe that a SLR is unnecessary for most people. Dude is better with a simple point and shoot than I am with a fancy setup.

In my opinion, if you are a normal guy looking to take decent pictures get yourself an LX5. It will take great photos in auto exposure mode, but still has the manual controls at easy reach if you are itching to mess with depth of field, etc...

Here's another dynamic b/w straight out of the LX3.

Attached Files:

• lx.jpg
      lx.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
  25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, unless it's Canon... :p I sold my Nikon to another HAMBer and went back to Canon, got a 7D, but mostly to be able to do both HD video and stills with the same camera, still find myself sometimes using the Sony point and shoot or the iPhone to go directly to the web. The big advantage to the DSLR is the glass. Lenses can be a lot of fun, I even found a place that rents the expensive ones for a decent price.

26. indyjps

indyjps

Canon powershot SD400 is my normal carry camera, but its just the spare that I dont mind getting bumped around, Have 2 more Canon Digitals that are nicer. considering getting something in the EOS line, now that we have a kid to get really good shots.

Have a family member that works for them so I get great deals on cameras.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nikon D80 sometimes with a 1.8d 50mm if the space will allow. I wish I had waiting and got the D90 so that I could shoot HD video on the same machine but I guess I jumped the gun there. I'm still learning a ton everyday and really only consider myself a hack with a camera at best. Bonneville shots are easy....it's the low life stuff that takes some work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple from when I flew in a T28...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baby's room...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to keep working with this camera and get better and better and learn as many aspects as I can. I'm starting to realize there are so many ways to skin the cat and that there are so many ways to produce similar shots. I'd really like to learn more about setting up night and low lit shots.

28. havi

havi

I'm no pro, lol. I use my wife's Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 w/12x zoom for everything. The good: the zoom!, the bad: I have to reduce every picture to make it more compatible for forum sharing. Now, for more practical use, I'm looking at a small "fit in yer shirt pocket" type camera for carrying into the junkyards, thus subscribing to this thread. I think my dad's older fujifilm 2800zoom took better pics as well.

29. Mattilac

Mattilac

30. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

As an artist/photographer for almost forty years and also Professor of Art, teaching Art Photography for twenty two years (just retired) I have to agree with almost everyone in this thread. Basically everyone is correct. I spent the last seven years shooting with a Pinhole Camera on Polaroid Film (a reaction to digital) as well as using my Lumix Lx2. I have numerous 35 MM SLRs, Mamiya RB 6x7, 4x5 etc, etc, and actually none of them has ever made an excellent photograph, but I have using them. Cameras are a tool, like a wrench or a hammer or a welder etc, and it's all about the person using it. You should use the type and kind of camera you are comfortable with and train your self to feel, see and shoot excellent images. Ultimately it is the photographer who makes the photograph or digital image (they are not the same thing) not the camera. Most importantly enjoy yourself and have fun. Thanks Ryan for letting this discussion go on. Jack