Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

he was released in the last couple days, is staying with nephew for a while, can get the address if you want

2. racer5c

racer5c

it has the right number on it!

3. racer5c

racer5c

anyone going to Terre Haute saturday???

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm gonna try Roy...

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Judging by his apparent age in this 1963 shot, it's doubtful Wales is still alive. Lists him as the promoter also, so I'm not sure he actually owned the track.

Attached Files:

6. jakearoo92

jakearoo92
    from Indy

hey everyone, im looking for any information on my grandfather Roger Beck. I know a lot of his accomplishments now but I am just looking for any further information or personal experiences with him, hopefully some pictures also. thanks!

7. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Roy, I'd like Lee Kunzman's address, I will send him another card. Denny Z

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Can't help with any history on the car, but Johnny Zeke's real name was John Zukowski. He was an outstanding midget & stock car driver .. in his spare time he was a real dapper starter in the 50's at the Riverhead (NY) Raceway, he also promoted some at the Deer Park (NY) Speedway. I believe he was also an airline pilot. He & his wife retired to Thousand Oaks, Calif. He passed away some years ago.

9. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Not sure when he bought the place but Pete did own Winchester.

Looking at the photo, that's the best I've ever seen Dizz cleaned up.

10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think Pete owned Winchester until the late 60's or early 70's when Rodger Holderman bought it.

11. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Great weekend at Calistoga. The Thomas sprinter ran great, I had stagger for the first time, what a difference!!! some Photos: 1, Off Fri. morning with Fitz, 2: Fitz's Joe Hunt Champ Car displayed with new sprinter, 3: Fitz with my Don Thomas sprint car on display Sat afternoon, 4 Jimmy Oskie in the Hunt car, 5: Getting ready to go out Sat night, 6: Spaceman, 6: on track, We didn't have to good of a camera but I was there. More photos next post

Attached Files:

12. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Ok, that last post was all about me, here are some of the other cars. The red and yellow photo 3, was driven by Johnny Anderson and the 4 cammer No 11, is Glen Nesessary's Champcar. Sat. there were about 25 cars and Sun. 17 cars. On Sat. we got out one time and my having a starter got plenty of laps as others had to be pushed off. The regular show got long so no second run, but Sun. night we ran a second time. Got in about 40 laps during the weekend.

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks for the pics, Steve. Did they make any laps with the cammer?

14. KK500

KK500

Hot Damn yeah!
    Only ever fired twice in the workshop before Calistoga. First run ever for the chassis/motor.
    Project was originally being put together for McClusky by Brawner using a Grant King frame, the split within USAC saw Brawner stay with pavement so the dirt car never got finished till this year.
    Blindingly fast even with an untried setup. Glen does know what he's doing tho.
    The noise??? Outrageous!!

Have some more detailed pics of the motor......wil post asap.
    Jim

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  15. KK500

KK500

Cammer

Attached Files:

16. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Yes, Glen ran the 4 cam Sat evening. I was on the track so I didn't see him. Sun. night he got out but something was not right in the drive train so he came in. I did hear the engine when he started it in the pits. Just amazing!!!

17. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Attached Files:

18. jsprcn

jsprcn

The Weld roadster that we have here in the NW was Kenny Welds
    offset roadster that was built in York in the winter of 1967. It was
    originally white with orange trim, #31 and Don Rice,Ford power. The next year 1969;
    Weld put a chev in and ran the car as the # 31, all white in color.
    The car was offered for sale in NSSN Jan. 28 1970 just before the IMCA Tampa race which was Welds last race with the car. Weld sold the car and it was driven by Sidney Clark as the #22. In 1974 it was sold on to Tom Johnson in Dallas Texas who ran the car up into the early 1980's.
    Bruce Moore and his brother got the car in the 1990's and it was with them until about three years ago.
    I think the car you are thinking about is Welds upright sprinter
    that Lynn Paxton put back together some years ago as it was also built and ran that about this same time.

19. Ebert

Ebert

If you are referring to the Roger Beck from Indy, I first was introduced to your Grandfather by Larry Nash who was completing a 27 Ford Track T for me. Larry took me by Roger's place on the west side and he was going to build me two aluminum seats by hand. He told me to "plop your fat ass on the bench and I will measure you up." Did just that and about a week later, I get a package from Roger with instructions on how to tape up the carboard template and was told to call him. Damn thing fit me like a glove. Took delivery of the two seats and they were a work of art!!! Most of all, Roger was a true gentleman...a gem of a guy. I just saw where my old Track T sold at Barrett-Jackson recently (I think at LA or Pebble) and while some of the car had changed, those beautiful seats (and Bill Finley's louvered hood and pan pieces) were still there!!! Darn I wish I had them back!

You should be very proud of your Grandfather!!! Are you Greg's son?

20. Josh thanks for the thumbs up on my project,
    John, yeah I was a bit concerned when I saw Josh's car as it was similar to what my car was originally painted like.
    I gave him a heads up and he said Go For It !
    As far as the detail here are a few closer photos
    This car is a bit earlier I suspect early 1960's
    I don't have much history but as you can see single tube frame and cross rear, spring front.

Attached Files:

21. racer5c

racer5c

Lee Kunzman
    4740* Pennington Court
    Indianapolis, IN* 46254

22. A follow up on Pete Wales....He owned Winchester from 1960 to 1970 when Roger bought it. He did own all types of race cars and did own Wales trucking in Dayton, Oh. I can find no eveidence of him having a Texas connection. (that's not saying he didn't, just no info to confirm). Pete died quite a few years ago, Dorothy, his wife passed away not that long ago.
    That's the best I got.
    HG :cool:

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Gene..

Any living relatives that might have access to family albums?

24. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Rootie, 'I had just finished up a wonderful 1hr+ conversation with aXe, when Glenn fired up the DOHC Ford in the #11 car. The first pic I've posted I took when the car was actually running in the pits. As soon as Glenn fired it up, the car attracted a crowd. It was awesome! Glenn had mentioned that he had a gear in the car that was going to turn the motor approx. 6500RPM. As was mentioned earlier, the vintage guys only got to wheel pack on Sat. nite because USAC qualified all the midgets and non-wing sprint cars and thus, ran late. The car sounded good out on the race track but, I'm afraid Glenn might have experienced the same problem Al Unser had at the Legends of Ascot at Perris back in '06 when Parnelli brought one of the Viceroy cars that night and they eventually had to park it because they didn't have a low enough gear. That motor needs a gear that will turn it at least 8500 before it starts to come alive. Another pic of SteveBonesteel going out for wheel packing on Sat. night and then some pics I took of Glenn's #11 when he brought it to the Legends of Ascot at Perris back in '08 just for display.

Attached Files:

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A belated heads up to interested parties to participate or spectate at four events in the next two weeks.
    <O:p</O:p
    Webster City, IA at the ½ mile fairgrounds dirt track two days of on track running for all the Vintage Cars on Friday nite the 10<SUP>th</SUP> and Saturday nite the 11<SUP>th</SUP> with a rain date on Sunday the 13<SUP>th</SUP>.
    <O:p</O:p
    Celina, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]OH</st1:State></ST1:p at the ½ mile fairgrounds track, AARA event with Sprints, midgets, Speedsters, and TQ’s, all cageless and mostly pre 1950. Saturday the 12<SUP>th</SUP> and Sunday the 13th on track events beginning at noon both days.
    <O:p<st1:City w:st="on"></st1:City>
    <st1:City w:st="on">Oskaloosa</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">IA</st1:State> at the ½ mile fairgrounds dirt track the 3 day Hawkeye Futurity of the Mississippi Valley Vintage Race Car Association. On track events start with a test and tune on Friday the 17<SUP>th</SUP> from 9AM until 5PM, one car on the track at a time. Saturday the 18<SUP>th</SUP>, pit gates open at 5PM and Sunday the 19<SUP>th</SUP>, pit gates open at noon for on track heats.. Open to all Vintage race cars.
    <O:p
    </O:p
    <st1:City w:st="on">Lima</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OH</st1:State><SUP> </SUP>at the ½ mile fairgrounds Sprints, midgets, Speedsters, and TQ’s, all cageless and mostly pre 1950.The <st1:City w:st="on">Lima</st1:City> event is run in conjunction with the Lima Rebel Run. We will be running Friday evening the 17th under the lights beginning at 6:00pm and Saturday the 18th at Noon.

General Spectator Admission is Free at all events<O:p></O:p>

26. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Little Fauss who are you? We may need name tags, did we talk at Calistoga? We were not wheel packing as we went out after qualifications and with about 26 cars much of our time was taken up with pushing off cars. I have a starter(oh know) so as I came by at least 5 times there were still cars sitting there. The yellow was out all the time but we got going preaty good. As for Glen and the 4 cam this was the first time out and from what I heard He was moving right along. On Sun night something went wrong in the drive train so he pulled in. He was very satisfied with the way it ran as the the motor was fired for the first time last week. On Sun night they packed the track 1/2 hour earlier, qualified the Midgets five at a time and only one sprinter flipped( Sat. 5 or 6) so we got a second run. CRA USAC bent over backwards, Tommy Hunt and Bob Pool did every thing to make us welcome, Thanks, We were but a few to hot lap at Calistoga.

27. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

They're calling for possibly rain on Sunday (at least for here on Long Island, NY) .. so we're going to have to watch and follow the forecast (on the Internet, I guess) for Warren, NJ re the show there scheduled for this Sunday (the 12th).

I've checked the Web Site and there doesn't seem to be a phone number to call on Sunday, in case the weather is so, so.
    http://www.warrennjcarshow.org
    I've eMailed the show chairman, to see if there is one or not. If I don't receive a reply, I'll give Ken Brenn a call.

It'd be nice to have a phone number to call, rather than driving &/or towing the full distance & possibly being disappointed.

If it does rain (I hope not) .. the rain date is the following Sunday, the 19th.

Meanwhile, I've accumulated some of the cell numbers of the folks planning to be there. How's 12:30 for a time for us to get together there????? .... If that that time is OK .. I'll call everyone approx. 1/2 hour before as to exactly where, etc..

I'll post this on the midget & modified threads too.

28. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

The extended forecast for Sunday, the 12th (right now on Friday evening) for the Warren, NJ area and the show there that Ken Brenn is such a big part of is 60% chance of rain.

http://www.warrennjcarshow.org

Of course we've all seen forecast like that, on the day in question and not seen a drop of rain, yet other times it has poured.

If you planning on going &/or bringing a car, it might be a good thing to follow both the National Weather Service forecast and Doppler Radar for that area, here on the Internet.

If the weather on Sunday is still questionable, Ken Brenn has given me his cell phone number, for those on their way to call. .. I'm not going to openly publish it here, but if you're going and feel that you might need it .. either PM (Private Message) me &/or eMail me at [email protected] and I'll give it to you.

Ken (Brenn) plans to be at the show site, early Sunday morning.

30. jsproctor

jsproctor

Does anyone know of any Vintage Race Car meets anywhere around the Phoenix area or coming up or this winter?