Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 54 Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirsten, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten

Love at first sight! Definitely didn't need her but had to have her. No title so all I know is that she is a 54 or 55. I'm leaning towards 54. It is a C-1-C6-116 which I believe makes it a 3/4 ton. The motor is not original but I do not know what it is. Tag reads T336 which I think was a 218 or 230. Is that a straight 6? There is a V8 in there now and I can see where new motor mounts were welded in.

Does anyone know about these little trucks? I can't find even a picture of one with that hood ornament. Maybe it was just added? It is an automatic 2 speed with push button trans. There is a bolt right in the middle of the VIN and I haven't tried to remove it yet. First 4 numbers are 8551. The only thing I gleaned from that is that it was built in CA.

If anyone can help with determining the exact year and what kind of motor it most likely had, I'd appreciate it!
    :D

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

That's a poly-head Mopar engine of some kind, could be a 270 which would have been an option in '55 I believe, the cars had them.

How many bolts on the wheels? That should be an easy determination to know if it's a 3/4 ton or not. Looks pretty clean.

3. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Congrats on the new ride.
    The hood ornament is a factory original piece. Now as to whether it is original to your truck, I don't know, but it fits the contour of the hood perfectly, so I would assume it is original.

4. BigBlockDude

BigBlockDude
    from Minnesota

Since the engine is the redish orange I'd say its a 318 poly. If it has a pushbutton trans probably around a 64. I think they were red starting in 64 and the that was the last year of the push button. Could tell by looking at the trans and converter mounting.

5. Kirsten

Kirsten

Squablow, the front and real wheels have different sized lug nuts which seems weird. Also, the rear rims look almost as if they have been turned inside out...I'll post more pics tomorrow. Bolt pattern is 5-4.5

6. Looks like it is a long box half ton.....good looking truck, except the pink!:eek::D

7. Squablow

Squablow

If I had to guess, I'd say that the truck is a '56, which is the only year that this truck could have come from the factory with this body style and the option of pushbutton transmission. Very possibly that is the original Poly-head V8 engine in it, possibly a 315 ci motor. I'd have to see the motor mounts, but perhaps they just broke at one time and were repaired, explaining the obvious welding.

If the wheels are 5 lug with the 4.5" bolt circle, it pretty much has to be a half ton.

8. Jen......

Jen......

1954 dodge as windshield dont wrap around like 1955 does. i have a 1952 dodge 1 ton in pieces i need to sale as i wont ever finish it

Jen

9. someone correct me - I've been wrong before - last year for a five window dodge was 54...55 up had a small wrap around like the Chevy...later 318 polyies had the oil breather cap in the middle...looks like the factory 56 277 poly motor valve cover in my 56...just sayin....

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

There is a very good softcover book on Dodge Trucks titled: "Dodge Pickups History and restoration guide 1918-1971" by Don Bunn & Tom Brownell. Who knows if its still available?

According to this book, Model # C-1-C6-116 means:
    C-1 is a 54 (early 55 was a carry over from the 54 and had no identifying differences. late 55 was a C-3)
    C6 = 3/4 ton (a B6 is a 1/2 ton, D6 is a 1 ton) (the "6" indicates a 100hp 218 flathead 6 up to a 1 ton which would have been a 110hp 230 flathead 6)
    116 = wheel base

The Ram hood ornamate was not available on the 54 & 55 trucks! The one on your truck likely came from a 48-53 which has the same hood curve. The V8 became available in June 1, 1954 and was a 241 ci ( not a Hemi) rated @ 145 hp. With in introduction of the V8, the 218 flat head 6 was dropped leaving the only flat head 6 as the 230.

Dodge trucks were built at the San Leandro plant that was suppose to close at the end of production of the 1954 model year. The 55 model year trucks was suppose to be built at a new plant, but problems occured and the new plant was not ready in time. The early 55 trucks were simply 54 trucks built at the old plant until the new plant could began production. Production ceased at the San Leandro plant in early 1955. Trucks built at the new plant were the late 55 units.

If the trans in your truck is a 2 speed auto, I would suspect the trans to be a PowerFlight which would make it a 54-56 trans. In 57 the LoadFlight three speed push button replaced the 2 speed push button auto trans across the truck application. One would suspect the Poly engine in your truck could be a 54-56 engine as well. a 54 would have been a 241 poly, a 55 would have been a 260 poly (169 hp) and a 270 poly in the spring (May or June) of 56.

Pictures of my 54.
    Gene

Attached Files:

11. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Nice truck!

From what I've seen so far, I think most of what's there has been identified.

Your truck is a '54 model 3/4 ton, originally with a straight 6. Looks like someone has added a poly 318 and the push button transmission that went with it, a '54 would have had neither. That's definitely NOT a 241 or 270 poly, they look quite a bit different (my g/f's '55 coronet has a 270 poly).

Also, the T336 designator is for a 218. Dodge went with the 230 standard in all 1/2 to 1 ton trucks after 2/24/54, so your truck is earlier than that.

50dodge4x4 is right on too, that upper hood ornament is not a '54 piece. The round shadow that's missing is the ram emblem for '54, the one that's on there is a '48-'53 as he said. The round one that's missing also says it had an inline 6 in it originally also, the V8 equipped trucks had a "V8" badge instead of the round rams head.

It should only have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, if it has something else then the stock axle was probably replaced.

If you go here

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

There's a VIN decoder that will break down the info for the truck if you remove the bolt that's in the way.

But someone definitely added a 318 poly and the push button transmission. Old hot rod truck?

Also, if you have more pictures, I can help decode options. I have this book from Don Bunn, which is specific to the C-series trucks and has a ton of info.

[​IMG]

On amazon pretty cheap...
    http://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Trucks-Restorers-Collectors-Reference/dp/1583881409/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284101306&sr=1-5

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. big bad john

big bad john

Hi.....your truck has many years of body parts into it.....no matter what it is,,,,,, still a cool ride.....enjoy the ride....Big Bad John:cool:

13. Soreback

Soreback

In the 70's I had a 55 for a number of years. It was a short shallow box. I was always intrigued with the knock out holes in the floor board on the passenger side. It was as if you could change it to right hand drive.??? Or was I dreaming?

14. gorgeous truck!

That is an A motor (277, 301, 303, 318, 326) that someone has swapped in.

That hood ornament is the same as the one on my '48, so I agree it has been added.

15. Kirsten

Kirsten

Man, you guys are good! 50Dodge4x4, thanks for the deeper explanation of the model codes. I was pretty sure that the C denoted a 3/4 ton truck but did not know that the C1 meant it was a 54. The truck was advertised as a 55 but as I started reading around, it appeared to be closer to a 54 but I didn't know how to tell.

Moparmonkey, I ordered that book from Amazon even before I picked the truck up! Should be here today and I plan on reading alot this weekend! Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Now for a few more questions:

Should I keep that hood ornament on there even though its for a 40's car? And, I'd like to eventually put a nice big motor in there. Any suggestions on what size? I want to stick with mopar...

16. Kirsten

Kirsten

Ok, so, I learned something new today. After breaking off 2 of the studs, I learned what the L stands for on lug nuts...
    [​IMG]

17. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Cool truck. Love those sawtooth valve covers.

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Whoa!! I'm guessing this is your first time working on old original Mopar/GM wheel studs?

19. 73RR

73RR

The options are only limited by the size of your bank balance...:D
    Obviously, the EarlyHemi is a natural but some folks complain about the cost to buy and rebuild.
    The biggest bang for the buck is a 400, with or w/o a 440 crank package. Lots of grunt, more aftermarket goodies than one guy needs, and they are usually cheap.

20. Kirsten

Kirsten

Yep, I'm a newbie to Mopar. At least I'll never make that mistake again :p

21. i know my ornament is the same on my 50 4 door

22. awesome truck, but I'm just a bit prejudiced (see avatar).....

23. Kirsten

Kirsten

Gene, your truck looks awesome! This may be a dumb question but: How do you just chrome the center pieces of the grill bars???

24. Only one side of the truck's lugs are left hand thread. Just didn't want you to find out the hard way.

25. Kirsten

Kirsten

Yep Dan you're right! But I did find out the hard way. I wondered why the drivers side was much harder...

26. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

FYI the hood ornament you have was standard in '48-'50; '51-'52 had optional hood ornaments that didn't have the ram's body but a bigger ram's head.

27. I think everyone falls for that on the old Mopars and some GM cars up into the '60s. But not many snap them off!

Bob

28. breaking off lugs on a old mopar is extremely common as i have purchased many this way. in 76' i purchased my first car: 36' plymouth and 2 days later had a flat and snapped 2 lugs before the 60 year old 100# gas station dude walked over and enlightened me on the meaning of the L&R on the lugs! hated those fucking things and still do!

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Actually, I think it came that way! My truck was originally one of the first V8 Dodge trucks in our area, lots of extras on it. The chrome center was an option. Its been a while, but I believe the chrome was a piece of stainless trim fastened to the grill bars, I know I painted the grill bars, but I think I taped off the center. Truck has been gone from here for about 5 years. One of the few hot rods I wished I had back, it was a great driver.

It was clipped with an F,M, & J cross torsion bar clip, ran a 360, 727, with a 3:23 geared sure grip 8 3/4. The engine was tired (160K miles with a 2bbl carb) and ran mid 18s at the HAMB drags in about 05 or 06. It went down the road to fund a 39 Plymouth business coupe (which is also gone).

Take care of that windshield, they are hard to find and expensive, only fit 54 and early 55 Dodge trucks. Gene