Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any budget builders out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by screwball, Aug 28, 2010.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Hey screwball, I had $25,000 in my last car and did almost everything myself. Now I'm building TWO rods for about $11,000.

First, I'm building a '48 Chevy pickup for my wife. It's rough, but she likes it that way ;) . We bought the truck for $500 and it came with about $1000 worth of sheet metal in the bed (doors, hoods, inner fenders, grilles, etc). A friend gave us a Camaro clip with power steering and disc brakes. Another friend gave us a rear end out of a Trans-Am with disc brakes. Bought a GM van column for $20. Traded an old Holley 750 Double Pumper for a running 305 with a burnt valve (turned out to be a 350 4 bolt main with a flat cam, LOL). Another friend gave us a fresh TH350 and a pair of 14x6" steel wheels from his roadster... now I need some 15x8's for the back! Here's the truck as purchased with the load of parts in the bed.

[​IMG]

I'm LITERALLY into this truck for $573 so far. Truck $500, sandblast Camaro clip and Trans-Am rear $50, Rustoleum primer/paint (to paint sandblasted parts) $23.

The motor is in the machine shop now, my next door neighbor will build a driveshaft, I need to wire it and reassemble it. Figuring on the HIGH side of things I'll put another $2200 into the truck to have it roadworthy. I'll be straightening the body panels but there will be no paint purchased for the truck. Hey, it's HER truck and that's what SHE wants!

Next up, I just bought a '27 T roadster for a SONG! The car is complete minus radiator, motor, trans, driveshaft and floors. This one will be a cinch! I'm looking for a GM pickup or full-size car that's been beat to hell but runs good. (I see 'em on craigslist a few times a week for $500.)

Pull the motor and trans, build my own mounts, shorten the driveshaft, pull any usable item from the car (rear end), and junk the rest for scrap prices. I'll build my own floors, get a radiator, go through the brakes completely and re-wire the car. Think I can do this one for under $5000 minus paint? You betcha! It's already painted, but I don't care for the color.

Oh yeah, I also picked up a set of four 15x5 Ford wheels in perfect condition for CHEAP! They'll run cheap 155R15's and 235/75/15's.

[​IMG]

The single most important thing to save yourself money is to PLAN PLAN PLAN! Down to every single last detail and DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND 1/2 WAY THROUGH!

If you see a pair of fuzzy dice that might look neato on your mirror don't buy it. Only buy the items that are going to make your car functional! You can add your trinkets later!

I've heard all too many times "I could build another car with all of my left over parts". Sure, I had leftovers too, but maybe a few hundred dollars worth, not a TON of stuff.

Write down your plan and STICK TO IT!

2. socal80

socal80

well i got my 40 chev done for like 4600 and some change.. total key for my build and i belive for everyone is safety then style.. you got to build everything you can yourself.... craigslist and swapmeets are your friend!! i build a little network of ppl that do things and we trade work and parts!! my 31 ford is looking to be around the same price

Attached Files:

3. I don't shoot for a budget..... I'm just cheap.

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

My 38 ford truck is coming together pretty cheap. I use the one mans junk is another man's treasure method. Not that I use junk parts but some peaople thing 283 chevys, banjo rear ends, 40 ford front brakes...etc are junk. So I find those guys and gladly accept their junk.

5. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

long way to go "budget" .....

Attached Files:

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I really like the instrument panel in the old Jimmys. One piece glass is cool too.

7. autometrics

autometrics

Quickest way to get in cheap is find a project someone has given up on.

8. 31Hudson

31Hudson

My biggest expense to date was my steering parts which I needed and the Lake Headers which I wanted...which was about $1k

[​IMG]

body free
    frame free
    most other parts laying around the yard
    learning curve huge
    amount of fun priceless
    [​IMG]

9. indyjps

indyjps

My 63 Impala will a $5K budget.
    '63 Impala, my father purchased it for $300 as a parts car for his 409, he's gonna take what he needs and I'll give him $300 for it. it was a body off resto project that stalled, body is rough but frame was stripped painted, suspension and brakes rebuilt. has all glass, interior is complete but ratty.
    Engine, 350, I used to build a lot of engines, this was a std bore block with cleaned up pistons and file to fit rings, spare parts, only bought gasket and cam set, have about $250 in it, carb to water pump.
    TH350 mild stall, left over from a swap of a bunch of parts -$50
    Plan on single stage paint, myself, bumpers are decent for what it will be,
    Need lots of welding wire and a few patches, block sand my arms off.
    Depending on the wiring and how creative I can get on a rearend with posi and gear, I think I can hit $5k budget.

Of course I could drop $10K in it so I dont get the "another 350 Th350 combo" flame post

10. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Wow!! That thing is sick. I have always wanted a bump side pick up truck, although I wasn't quite sure why. But, something told me those things have potential.:)

12. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Under 5,000 including maintenance (oil changes new tires etc) for the last 37,000 miles. Built in the driveway and very reliable and fuel efficient.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. I agree with porknbeaner, paint is the killer. Most of the cars in this post are either satin paint or not painted at all. I don't believe you have to have shiney paint to have a nice car, and if you're shooting for under 5K in money the paint will have to be way down on your list, unless you have the talent to do it yourself. Most of us don't. I think a decent satin job looks better than a ill prepped glossy paint. And after all, what we want to acomplish is a car that looks right and is fun to drive. I'm gonna try to paint my 29 myself because the estimates I've gotten so far are 3 to 5 grand and that just is'nt in the budget. Like most others here I've spent more than I wanted to, but on the other hand, one thing leads to another. I don't know who said it but another budget killer is changing stuff in the middle. I can't seem to stick with an original plan, I go to a show or swap meet and see something and I'm like, hey, that would look nice. Oh well, it's the building that I enjoy most so if I never finish it at least I'm having fun.

14. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I built my '49 for about 3K if I had to pinpoint it...but it is far from done. $300 for the truck, $1,000 for the engine, little more here and there to finish it up, new wiring from front to back, trans and shifter....so on and so forth. It drives, to my feeling, quite safely with few to no problems...stops decent. It still needs a paint job, and a headliner...Most important, I did as much as I could myself or with help from friends.

The key to a budget build is look for a good deal up front, have a strong network to locate parts and help where you are unsure, ALWAYS double check your welds and torque, and always replace the brakes....when available upgrade. It may not go all that great at first, but you better make it stop! Budget building is fun if you enjoy the hunt, swapping parts, digging a little, and getting dirty. Don't half ass something for the sake of getting it done sooner, do it right one time. The other thing that will screw you in the end is buying parts numerous times...get what you want, get the right part, and use it. If you get multiple parts either sell some to cover the cost or plan on having a lot of garage art. "Extra parts" are good, but to many can be cumbersome and costly.

The big point is build it right and let your budget justify how soon it gets done, not vice versa.

15. bab59

bab59

Great thread lots of neat cars-pickups in here.

16. Managed to build both these trucks on S10 frames for under $3500 a piece

Attached Files:

17. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It's the Big Olds more straightlaced, up tight sister.:D

18. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

got about 3 grna din this one, 15 for the car, 5 for a donor car for drivetrain, another grand in misc, brakes, primer, interior.....i`ve done several for about that much, mostly depends on what you can do yourself, your labor is basiclly free, if you gotta pay someone else......it sure isn`t...

Attached Files:

19. Jimv

Jimv

What kind of times where you getting at the track?
    JimV

20. TERPU

TERPU

Well, maybe not. I have built cars out of several parts cars and managed to sell all the remaining pieces to be in the car for a positive. I have traded up also to better position and sold that or traded into what I really wanted. My '29 Tub is a solid example of this. But it takes money to make money and you gotta invest wisely and catch a break now and then. Just start with what you like and it'll pay off in the long run. Great advise was "don't change your mind midstream". Finish what you start and drive it with a big 'ol grin. They sell better that way.

Tim

21. Troyz

Troyz

I have less than $1,400.00 in my modied project so far. Lots of swap finds, friend trades & a little cash. I'm gonna paint it outside and upolster it myself. I 'm trying to build it right for under $5k. I put all the major parts together over two years and have been building for less than two months.

[​IMG]

22. harald

harald

Hey Screwball,I am up here in the rust belt, just south of London,not too far from you. My 29 Model A Tudor cost me $ 400 for the body,two cowl tanks,31 chevy grill and headlites.It was in pretty bad shape,but starting to look ok. I do everything myself,do my own patch panels,build my own sheetmetal brake and have no help from anyone. A 005.jpg

A 006.jpg

Model a 005.JPG

23. It can be done on a bare bones budget if you do it right.

'50 Chevy 2dr, runs but bad motor, most glass broken out - $200
    '65 Impala 2dr, no motor, from same guy who wanted driveway cleaned out - $100
    sell '65 Impala 10 days later + $750
    Most of the replacement glass and a set of valve covers - $60
    Sell valve covers on eBay - + $60. Glass = free
    Parts car with rest of the glass - swap for a car I had = free. Later scrapped parts car + $250
    Rusty but good running '89 Suburban with 350/700R4 - $525 (plus drove it 4 years too)
    Second gen Camaro rearend from junkyard - $60. Score: Has new shoes, hardware, drums on it
    Bolt-in motor mount set - $100

Interior - '64 Gran Prix with bad frame, decent seats: - $300
    Sell motor from car + $500
    Sell body for scrap + $300

Riviera column and console from another junkyard - $40
    '58 Chevy dash out of parts car buddy junked - free

And I have a paint job lined up in trade for a $500 '55 Chevy parts car. Which I robbed the hanging pedal unit out of to put in the '50 - and I plucked a good master cylinder off an all-drum '68 Skylark my buddy junked later on. It looked like new or I wouldn't have bothered, those are pretty cheap, but what the hell.

Pretty much at this point I just have to get off my ass and do the labor to put it together - outside of that doing the math not only do I have the car, but I'm actually being paid to keep it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  24. screwball

screwball

Now a $400.00 body is all Im missing. I am just looking for a cowl and front doors only any body make or style pre 1932.

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

I will let you know if I stumble across anything down this way Pete...

26. I agree. you need buddies to help with parts.

My truck is built from junk yard parts. I did all the work except for interior (A friend did that for me) & I still have $21,000 invested.

Attached Files:

27. Koz

Koz

In well under $5K. I'm almost finished now. I will be in at right about the magic number including titling in PA. Obviously no interior. That'll come later.[​IMG]

28. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

were all budget builders

29. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Here's mine, 65 f100 longbed, I cut down a tree in trade ($250 my expenses), 1985 caprice chassis, I traded 4 hrs labor, shortbed stepside, traded 1 day's labor, 302 shortblock, I had under a bench, $20 swapmeet flattop pistons std (new), rings, gaskets, brngs about $110, Ported 2.02 gt40 heads $400, x303 hyd roller $100, I cut the floor out of the cab and channelled it over the frame 5", gave the truck a little rake and the wheelbase worked out with no mods. I figure about $500 more for a dist, tires, and upholstery ( I'll paint and bodywork it myself) , and she'll be done. PS I also swapped for a gal and a half of PPG victory red, I'll add some flattener or buy some flat clear coat for my topcoat.

30. charles40buick

charles40buick
    from new mexico

If you've got a truck and trailer, head south, wayyyyyy south. farms here in new mexico still have great finds, as long as you're not real particular. I picked up my 55 ford f-100 -$80.00, 1949 ford 2- door sedan- $80.00, 1940 Buick- free ( should have given him $80.00 just to keep things even ) Plan on hitting all dirt backroads and a lot of time. take a week vacation during summer months.