Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie shifter going out of buisiness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tulfabrication, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On this part:
    One of them told me a couple of months ago that at least if they go bankrupt,he will get paid

As far as I know, if the company goes bankrupt and really has no assets left over, then the employees are just unsecured creditors waiting in line with all the other unsecured creditors just waiting to get paid. I know people this happened to..they get screwed. Unless someone steps in and takes over - and wants to keep the employees, so they pay them out of their pocket.

2. According to Jimette at Streamline, they are not going out of business. They bailed out of a GoodGuy's show over what Streamline (new owners of Genie) felt was an unfair vendor price hike and it touched off rumors that they were in trouble. We've bought shift knobs through them for Hotrodshiftknob.com in the past and have never had a problem beyond supplier delays. But it does sound like they've pissed off --and perhaps on-- a few HAMBERS. Not taking sides, here. Just sharing Streamline's version of the story.

3. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. hemi

hemi

I know when and who it was.... and what the deal was. It'll work itself out.... Do they owe YOU any money?? Person to person communication goes a long way, much farther than insults on a message board. Got a real beef? Pick up the phone or take a ride and go see him.

Bottom line, they are not going out of business. That was the original question, and there is your answer. The rest is just hen house clucking.

5. Richard Lejeurne comes to mind in the whole Streamline dealio.............same shit different names..............................

6. mike805

mike805

In reference to where to get them, I just picked up a 23" swan lo stick set up for a th350 fro my 52 at Parr Automotive. They had them in stock and got it in less than a week. Also, No Limit Engineering in San Berdoo had a kit for a 350 but it was mor expensive and I would have had to pay taxes on it.

7. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

We seem to have established that they make a good product. Is there anyway to answer the 'are they dying or not' question?

'I'm sure I could build my own alternator, but a month and a hundred bucks are not interchangeable?'

8. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

what did it cost you

9. Exactly . . . we've flogged the "is it a good product to death" . . . hopefully they get their house in order and continue to produce good products, pay their employees and stay current with their vendors.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

wont happen, never does, it gonna die or go to someone else, (china)

11. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Part of "having a good product" is having. or the perception of having your house in order. Things are too competitive and the market shrinking too much these days for anything but the best company behavior with it's customers.
    Gennie--the product--will survive because it's a good product, but the owners are up to market dictates.

12. river1

river1

13. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Well that's a relief. I was going to buy one of there shifters in the up coming months. Glade I still can.

14. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Maybe the attention all of this has gained will cause some changes in thinking on the customer service end of things. But it seems that they will be sticking around.

15. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

This is coming from a man that from what i heard was ran over by his own car!?!

16. rare32

rare32

got that email via email yesterday, maybe I'll get the rest of my buy-in order now!!!!

17. 1931av8

1931av8

I can't speak to Gennie's issues but certainly formed an opinion of Streamline. I believe in supporting local business and gave Streamline multiple opportunities to have my business. Like most consumers, I judge a business by their attitude toward their customers. They were not very friendly, willing, capable...any of the normal "good business" adjectives I can think of. That attitude is diseminated from the top down to the staff, in my experience. My intuition said to stay away...and that is what I eventually did. So, not surprised they are taking some criticism here.

If they want to shed that reputation, they have some work to do. I would give them another chance, but need some justification from them. Haven't heard it yet on this thread.

18. PRESS RELEASE
    DENVER, COLORADO
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 10, 2010

GENNIE SHIFTER, LLC. A VIBRANT COMPANY

It has come to Gennie Shifter, LLC attention that several Web sites and elsewhere have published anonymous or "false named" statements concerning the viability and continuation of our company. These statements are utterly false.
    The statements coincide with the dismissal of a disgruntled employee, the breaking into our facility by the same individual, and scurrilous letters and harassing telephone calls to our employees. "We deplore these actions and are taking steps to prevent further occurrences". Said Todd Gold, president.
    Gennie Shifter will continue to manufacture the highest quality products at competitive prices within the industry.
    We regret any concerns our dealers and friends may have resulting from these ranting and hateful comments, and are endeavoring to correct the problem as quickly as possible.
    Thank you for your continued support.
    Gennie Shifter LLC

Thats it??? A lame press release for the consumer??? What the ?????
    I have ran thier product andthe Lokar, both are fine units, but to not come on the number 1 site (the HAMB of course) and in real world terms explain this thread in a real word understandable terms?!?!? I for one find it a insult and hope the owner or manager come to understand that a GREAT number of thier potential customers are members of this site. I understand the damage that can be done on the internet but also understand the sincere power of a statement here could do for the company. This site is not just another WEB site, it is the power of hot rodders everywhere in the world! Corporate America are you listening?? People buy from people, it's that simple. The HAMB Alliance vendors have that in thier buisness dealings and it shows, the folks I have bought from here have gone out of thier way to make our deals excellent and thank you by the way. I don't wish them ill and hope all is well with thier company but I don't think the company grasps the power of the HAMB. Good Day!........
    <!-- [​IMG]Engraved Series Shifter Knobs

These Engraved Shift Knobs are sure to give you a nostalgic factory-fresh look to your vehicle, and are constructed of thermoset resin. Red, yellow & ivory knobs are 2.25 inch in diameter. The ivory knobs are also available in 2 inch knob for a more minimiliast look! Black shift knobs are available in only 2 inch. Choose a shift pattern and color to match your vehicle and shift into gear today!
    [​IMG]
    Corner Pocket Series Shifter Knobs

Gennie Shifters 8 ball shift knobs are a sure shot! 2 1/4 " in diameter. Get behind the 8 ball with Gennie's newest pool shark inspired shift knobs. Available in standard billiard colors. Don't forget your brodie application for your steering wheel!

- Shift Knobs are 2 1/4 inches diameter.

- Comes pre-drilled to accept aluminum threaded insert that fits hundreds of OEM and other manufacturers appplications

- Don't forget Gennie Shifter's brodie knob clamp, that accepts all Gennie Shifter knobs. Check your local laws.

- Fits all Gennie Shifter applications.
    [​IMG]
    --><!-- New Shifter Knobs

Gennie Shifter is constantly developing new shift knobs. This year is no different! At the SEMA Show in Las Vegas Gennie released 6 groups of shift knob sketches and asked our fans to vote on their favorites at www.GennieShifter.com. THE VOTES ARE IN, and the following knobs will be produced this year as the Newest Gennie Shifter Knobs!
    [​IMG]
    --><!-- Rock Candy Shifter Knobs

These brightly colored acrylic shift knobs are the perfect alternative to your plain- jane knob. Beautiful on a stick and sweet as all get out, these shift knobs are something to smile about. Let the fun begin by choosing from an assortment of flavors. Pre-drilled to accept Gennie Shifter's threaded inserts. Rock Candy Shifter Knobs.
    [​IMG]

--><!--Gennie Shifter and Gennie Shifter Knobs

Since 1982, Gennie Shifter has been manufacturing the highest quality street rod parts. Gennie Shifter prides itself on products that are durable, adjustable, & easy to install.
    Gennie Shifter is excited to be a part of your project. The Gennie Shifter staff is always happy to answer technical questions about installation, specific applications, & modifications.
    Please feel free to stop by your authorized dealer to see all of the latest & greatest Gennie Shifter products for your ride.
    We carry the best in Shifters, Hand Brakes, Cables, Dipsticks, Pedals, Antenna and Hood Props, Headlights, Transmissions, and Knobs.
    As always, Gennie's commitment to quality & the best customer service in the industry is part of our efforts in 2008. Enjoy looking through the catalog and thank you for choosing "The Original" All American Gennie Shifter.
    -->

19. "A fish rots from the head down . . . "

I'm always reminded of that saying as I go about my work and attempt to do my best. People pay attention to the acts of those at the top - the good ones and especially bad ones.

20. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

They sure seem to have more than their fair share of "disgruntled employees":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I don’t get it.
    What the hell is the difference between these fake stick shift shifters and a fake injector - carb inside an 671 case - blocked off carbs - disc brakes inside drums ……… ????
    Yes I realize it really works a trans but its obviously meant to make the auto look like a stick.
    People go crazy about most of this stuff but totally embrace the fake shifter….why?

22. A good point, and here's my perspective.

I have a bad left knee, which more-or-less forces me into running an automatic...at least if I want to drive it on a regular basis.

I still run my original '55 column, and have no plans to change it- one, I refuse to run an aftermarket column, paint or no paint. Still looks like billet to me. :) Second, the truck Ford-O-Matic columns are difficult to find and usually worn/sloppy.

Given all this, it means an aftermarket shifter. Mustang II shifters look to me...well, like a Mustang II shifter. And all that it implies.

That leaves me with the choice of an aftermarket shifter that looks A) like a racing shifter, B) like a '70s Competition Plus four-speed shifter, or C) a pseudo-traditional shifter.

I've opted for the pseudo-traditional, because it at least looks less out of place than the others. The best of a bad lot, I guess.

23. rare32

rare32

have you seen Limeworks new shifter?
    it looks like a factory column shift (manual) but hooks up to t350.t400 etc.
    Very cool product, has neutral safety built -in too.

http://www.limeworkspeedshop.com/store_columnsandwheels_columnshift.html

24. Sorry some of us like automatic transmissions and don't like muscle car shifters.

25. hemi

hemi

And don't like to bang a one-two or two-three shift on the column....

26. I like that quite a bit, actually. My column is 1 7/8" if I remember correctly, but it shouldn't be too tough to make it fit (famous last words). Thanks for the link! ;)

27. Your right on most points,I think its just that when ya gotta run or want to run a automatic for whatever reason,be it the wife cant drive a stick or your tired of shifting all day or maybe you cant for some medical reason,,,or maybe its just easier whatever it is alotta guys just got tired of the mustang shifter in the floor and wanted to keep the old school look (think radial widewhites) so it just made sense,I doubt they are tryin to fool ya about it havin a crashbox under the floor,unless they added a extra pedal.That being said I was in a local hotrod shop and asked about a Gennie shifter for a O/T car Im building and was told "good luck we have stuff on back order over 5 months and was told it still might be months before there is a chance of getting the parts on back order if at all" so Im lookin at a Lokar with the adaptor for no button....so I guess its buyer beware with them,to bad I really liked what I saw from them too..........JMO

28. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

These would not be difficult to fabricate. Maybe $50 in parts, a few hours and a little Loctite.

29. Hester

Hester

I have always been impressed by Streamline / Genie booth at the shows, they seemed like they were really on the ball as far as a professional and polished booth, employees all in uniforms, etc. I've never bought anything from them so I can't comment on them good or bad but I sure am surprised by the amount of bad feelings that people have been left with in regards to the company.

Not paying your workers gets handled by state authorities. But I've always been told that once you short the feds on your employees withholding (ie the Feds tax $) they come in fast with sharp knives, do a 'risk analysis' and then slap the chains on your doors... and the people that enforce the Social Security withholding trust fund are even faster and more vicious than the IRS.

So if they are having the money troubles discussed above and are still open they have managed to come up with at least that money - It strikes me as a total load of BS that the feds get paid before workers get their back pay? There wouldn't be ANY money to go around if not for the employees who put in work so they should get first swipe, not the Feds.

30. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.