Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, I have finally made some more progress! I needed to finish up the underside of the body with something. It is etch primed & epoxy primed, but I wanted to go an extra step to make it look better & mainly hold up for a long time.

I ended up going with a 2 part epoxy black bedliner. I chose Gator Guard, & am really happy with the results. Stuff is really tough, & sealed up the underside REALLY nice. Should outlive me now!

Kind of hard to photograph. It is way smoother than the pictures look for some reason. The texture is nice because it is not sharp at all. Here's what that looks like after I sprayed it:

[​IMG]

Then I could flip it over & move forward.

The paint part of my project has really been a huge issue, for lots of reasons. The biggest problem is simple: paint work is expensive.

Expensive because it is extremely labor intensive, and materials are expensive-I get it. But the harsh reality is that I am easily looking at $4-$5 grand to get the kind of paint job I want. And that's not top-of-the line, just decent. Plus every surface is new & bare, lots of time, time is money.

Then the reality of the situation is simple. I really don't have the money to do that now, & won't for a while. I don't want to wait another 6-9 months (or longer) to save $ to get it painted- I want to drive the d@mn thing at some point, & enjoy it. Enough already.

So long story short, I have decided to do it in satin myself. Let the flaming begin:eek:. I am still using quality ppg epoxy primer under everything, since it will only be in bare steel once. But I need to move forward & stop spending EVERY cent I have on the car for a while. It's been long enough.

Down the road when I financially recover I can pop the body off & have it painted shiny. Instant makeover. Or not, it's ok.

So I am spraying it with SEM hot rod black. I really like to way it sprays. Honestly pictures make it look about the same as dp90. But in person it really has a great sheen to it. It lays down really smooth. And it is very consistent in gloss level. It comes pre-flattened in quart kits, and each kit sprays/looks the same. A no-brainer, which is good for me.

After all that rambling, here's some pics. Yep, another satin black car:p:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I bolted the back panel on. I used SEM Chip-Guard on the inside of the back body panel, and on the floors & tranny hump. Neat stuff, meant to be used as rocker guard on new cars.

It is catalyzed, and can be tinted to any color. I tinted it black, and sprayed it on after scuffing everything. I love the way it came out, & it really should hold up great. Very easy to spray with a 2.2 tip. It is extremely smooth in texture. Here's a couple pics of that:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's all for now. I will keep moving forward, and hopefully be driving this thing this year:eek: It's been long enough. Thanks for looking!

Dan

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. Cshabang

Cshabang

im digging the different textures of black to be honest...Would love to see it shiny someday, but understand your reasoning...Keep at it Man..looks insane

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sick! Looks great man! I'm curious how much sound deadening you get from that bedliner stuff, actually. Probably gonna have a lot less rattles!

4. llonning

llonning

WOW!!! I like they way the button head bolts set it off. Not that you will probably see them. Looking good!!

5. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Dan ... screw the flat color naysayers ... if any come out. That color combo/contrast is ... bitchen!

Ny-locks & stainless .... I love it.

Kick ass job ... as usual.

Can't wait to see it roll under its own power.

Peace.

PACO

6. Haven't checked in for a while Dan. Still looks amazing.
    It's like the Rolls Royce of Traditonal RPU's.
    Always inspiring.
    Is there a seperate thread for the body?
    Mark

7. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, I appreciate. Unless I win the lottery, it's staying for a while:eek:

I wish that it photographed better. I am a texture fan too. Small differences make it interesting.

Scott, thanks! I really love the way your car is coming together.

The bedliner did a good job of dampening the sheetmetal, I was surprised. Plus the Chip guard on the inside helped a little more.

Now that it is getting bolted together it is getting pretty solid. I am excited to get all the under cowl bracing put in. That will help a ton.

Thanks lloning! Yep, your right though. You will never see them:D

I have a fair amount of chrome (door handles, cowl band, windshield) that it should contrast nice with the black.

Thanks man. I am honestly fine with it too. Some of my favorite cars are satin. I think I'll have enough going on to look at that it will be fine in the end.

I am also really excited to finally drive it. I keep watching the videos of it running turned up really loud for motivation:p Thank for the support

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Mark,
    thanks man! Wow, I think that I have about a million threads from when I put the body together. Wish I had put it all in one build thread from the beginning:eek:

Here's links to a few though, 2 hours of your life that you will NEVER get back:D:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268195

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271050

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272586

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273775

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275549

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283965

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282467

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. lorodz

lorodz

wow ..love the finish on the under side ..keep it up

10. This looks amazing. I cant wait to see it all together.

-mikethegreek-

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

On this truck I am really digging the different textures. I think the fact that your frame is about as shiny and one could get with black and the fab work is incredible, the satin black on the body is really going to look nice for a while or forever. I mean, it's one thing to cover up a shitty car with flat black but it's a completely different situation to have a well planned and executed car that chose black to give the car a look and add texture to the pallet. It's going to be incredible especially against those shiny wheels you have.

That interior rock chip stuff is pretty incredible again and I really could see myself getting nuts with that stuff if I had it.

Just simply awesome man. Keep it up and get it running!!!

12. Skirv

Skirv

It really looks great Dan!

13. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks lorodz. Man, I got some of the 2 part bedliner on my arms from spraying it. I owned that for 2 weeks

Thank you Mike. I am definitely excited to get there

Thank you a ton JJ. I think (hope) that the shiny frame & all the chrome with offset it enough to work.

I am a huge fan of contrast & texture. I think the aluminum interior will look nice against the chip guard stuff. I really like that stuff! Kind of industrial looking, but cool!

Thanks again JJ
    , I appreciate

Thanks Bill. But we are not talking right now.

Not til a certain somebody posts something about a certain 34' sedan build with a hemi I keep hearing about;)

14. Looks real great Dan. I agree with JJ that the contrast of textures and the chrome will really make your truck pop even without shiney paint.

I think sometimes you just have to decide what it is going to take to get something done and do it. I had this discussion with scootermcrad about there being a fine line between getting eveything just the way you want it and never getting it done. At some point the finished product has to win out in your thought process. Seems like a good call to me.

15. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

You are absolutely right. As much as we would love every bracket to be the coolest ever, at some point you need to stop & get it done. The journey is fun & all, but I REALLY want to use the thing now.

Thanks all for the pep-talk all. I feel better now:)

Seriously!

16. I think the satin looks great because the metal work quality is great. The finish came out nice!! Other than final assembly and wiring/plumbing, what's left?

17. That is an excellent idea for undercoating! Great work!

Even if you were rolling in primer it's still going to be a great truck. Just get that thing rolling and the money for a paint job will come eventually. Drive it and enjoy!

18. The sad thing is I don't listen to my own advise:(:D.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You drive that damned thing yet?

:D

Just kidding ya man! It's the journey, not the destination. But the destination keeps getting closer! I'm digging the flat black, it will look just fine like that. What color is the top again?

20. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Great ideas once again, Dan...looking awesome!:cool:

21. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thank you very much. Honestly there's not a whole lot left once the body & bed are all in paint.

The hard brake lines are run on the frame already. Just have to install the hoses from the frame to the wheel cylinders.

Need to plumb for fuel, wire the car, and some small odds & ends.

I THINK I can see light at the end of the tunnel:D

I think we ALL need this every once in a while my friend!

I am so glad to hear things like this, makes me feel better honestly. All the things I stress about now will be forgotten when I can drive the thing

Come on now, you need to! I think we are all guilty of that

I'm closer!:p I am looking forward to the destination haha.

I am 99.99% sure that the top will be white. Even though I don't have whitewalls I think it will work, plus break up the black a little

Thanks man! I am anxious to reach the finish line

22. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

lots of nice work done here. love the floor and all the details you put into this car!!!

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not bad for an old guy and a kid :D:D:D

Its really coming on Dan, remember it needs to be driving for October when i come over, i need a ride :)

24. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Haha, thank you my friend! Me & my dad are looking forward to seeing you & the wife again. The ride might take a miracle though:eek: Maybe my dad can push us around the block while I make engine noises:D

25. Cshabang

Cshabang

youre not done yet....Its almost winter! haha

26. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Dan,

Sounds like your REALLY close to a ride. Any updates??

How's you Pops? Tell him I said hello.

Paul

27. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I am still plugging along on the rpu. Making some good progress, but it's taking time as always.

I got every remaining bracket I made over the past 2 years back from the powder coater. I got them coated gloss black, & they really came out nice. So now I have all the remaining pieces ready for final assembly.

I also made a decision to make a little change, surprise:p.

I decided to paint the firewall ford wimbledon white. It took FOREVER to mask everything, since any white over spray would really show on the black. So after scuffing the firewall, 4 hours of masking later it was ready to shoot.

We shot a coat of white sealer on, let it flash, & sprayed single stage wimbledon white on. Wow, I really love it! It really jumps out against the black, and also really breaks the black up. I am so glad it did that.

Then me & dad could finally bolt lots of stuff on for the last time-a GREAT feeling! We got all the under dash bracing in, and got the master cylinder mounted. The gloss black powder coated pieces really look nice installed, I am REALLY excited to see it come together.

Here's some pics as it sits. Thanks for looking!

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  28. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Dan ... as we'd say back home (the boston area) WICKED!

Paul

29. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

that thing is badass.

30. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

That is beautiful!!!