Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects official start to my 54 project!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Baggs

Baggs

So here is some backround. my wifes grandfather bought this car as a complete running driving car back in the 70's. his plan was to "only" redo the frame and suspension. so he tore the car down enough to redo the frame and all the drivetrain parts. So the story goes he got wore out on this project and began three other projects and lost interest. so here we are now almost 2011 and i asked my wife's grandmother to sell the car to us. she agreed and now i am starting this project with hopes of having it on the road this next summer. now keep in mind all these parts and the car have not seen daylight since 1983. enjoy, and i will try to update as i go. my plan is to have the frame blasted and powdercoated along with all the drivetrain and put it back together. for the body, just put it back on and go!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. Baggs

Baggs

few more....

Attached Files:

3. choptvan

choptvan

Hell yeah! Hardtops are to cool. Nice score!

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Holy shit, that thing is a cream puff!

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm jealous. That's an awesome start!

6. mrrocket

mrrocket

Man, cool to see that! Good luck and congrats!

7. Great start to a really nice ride - congrats and good luck with the build!

8. Baggs

Baggs

the car is so solid, no rust, no rot, no nothing. i just cant think af a good licence plate for the car.....any ideas???

9. killer score dude! lets see more pic's of the main body, subcribed!

10. Baggs

Baggs

The only thing i couldnt locate was the carpet, which im sure was junk. does anyone know who, or where i could get replacement carpet for this car?

11. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

damn thats practically a new car! (some assembly required :D)

congrats!

12. 41 C28

41 C28

Cool,looks lkie a large scale mode kit. Will be very nce when you get her back together. Try Kanters for the carpet.

13. Baggs

Baggs

kanters, is that a company, or someone on the board?

14. Baggs

Baggs

figured it out, found their web site, thanks for the help

15. Baggs

Baggs

Does anybody have a reccomendation as to a disc brake upgrade for the front of a 54? i cant decide if i want to convet this car to disc brakes or not? or is there a dual master cylinder that works on this car with 4 wheel drums?? i dont have a problem with keeping the drums all the way around. i do know that i want a dual master to help with safety.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So-Cal sells a nice master cylinder that is dual reservoir. It's off an early Mustang and you can probably cross reference it at the parts store if have a counter man that's not afraid to get off the computer and reference a "real" parts catalog.

Frank

17. choptvan

choptvan

Mine was a bolt on dual resevoir. I made new lines for it. Uses stainless flex lines. Was chaper than replacing the rubber. As for the disc upgrade, some told me that a ms spindle would bolt on. Of course you would have to upgrade the disc to a 5 lug if that is the case. I would like a posotive answer on that as well. Anyone?

18. modelttom

modelttom

Granada disc brakes are almost a direct bolt on.....

19. Wow, if that was a PS car we'd have the exact same run of options and everything. The same colors and everything! Except mine was a little rougher!

Should be a fun build, keep us posted!

20. choptvan

choptvan

damnit. I meant grananda. Sorry bout that. And what do you mean by almost? What needs to change?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  21. Baggs

Baggs

from what i have read, i might keep the drums.....are you running discs or drums?? where did you get your master cylinder from??

22. Baggs

Baggs

i really like the dash in your car, makes me want to paint it white. what did you do to lower yours??

23. choptvan

choptvan

runnin drums. I have had no problems at all. Stops real well. It was a mustang. Equal port size front and rear.

24. Baggs

Baggs

well i think i might keep the drums for now and put the dual master on. did you just get a master off of a junk car? or from a parts store? i thought i had read about a napa number that works for a master cylinder.....

25. choptvan

choptvan

I got mine from carquest but it is all the same shit. And a new one. No junk parts. I rebuilt all the cylinders and got all my shoes from advanced auto parts. I wanted an entirely new system. I even got new stainless lines and stainless flex lines. Got the adapters for the flex lines from speedway motors.

26. Baggs

Baggs

thanks for the help. i cant wait to start spending money on this thing, and putting it back together!!

27. choptvan

choptvan

28. Baggs

Baggs

wow dude!!! you have some talent to do a build like that. in a way im glad i dont have that kind of work ahead of me. i have thought about air bags, but i think i would do it later if i decided to. did i read that you went to wyotech? i did too, graduated in sep 2004. also took body, paint and streetrod.

29. deto

deto

stick to the plan man

30. choptvan

choptvan

seems like he is still tryingto make a plan.