Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter Spinning Flywheel Not...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Sep 5, 2010.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I just got through rewiring my whole 59 F-100 truck with a Rebel Wire 9+3 Kit. Everything is buttoned up and where it should be. Go to start the truck and I here a click (from starter solenoid) and I here the starter spinning but the flywheel stays still. Now Its a 1971 351 Cleveland with a C6. All stock ignition. Anyone have any ideas why the truck isn't turning over?! :confused:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Did it work before you rewired the truck?

3. funny...lost the ring gear on a 302 Granada I was driving out to Long Beach for my sister way back...it started one more time in south LA before it all let go...auto flywheels have ben know to sperate...just my guess...

4. parklane

parklane

You've got one of three problems.
    1 starter is not engaging into flywheel
    2 Starter drive is broken/missing
    3 Flywheel ring gear is worn.
    Look for simple stuff first.

5. starter drive ....
    solenoid ....
    loose starter.....

6. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Checked flywheel already. Looks fine turned it by hand and checked all the teeth. Heres the thing...
    One day came to start the pick up and the same thing happening now. Towed it home put new starter solenoid, nothing. But if I hold the key to start it for more than 2 seconds smoke would start coming out behind the steering wheel... :confused:
    So I get on it the next day. Go out to start it and WALA, it starts like it always has. It has a new starter I put in after and ran fine with this starter. Now last night when I had the motor all wired up it started fine also. Could this be a faulty solenoid or maybe the starter drive, even though these are both new?

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep or a poor ground . Takes a good circut to pull those field coil shift style starters in.

8. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

getting power down to the starter.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

is there a way to test the starter?

10. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Okay replaced starter with warranty. got good ground for the starter. Motor started fine and now it will not shut off with key. Again I rewired the truck with rebel wire kit. Ignition switch is wired up correct. Anything else I should be looking for? :confused: Thanks again...

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Back feed from alternator? disconnect the alt then start and shut off ,now does it shut off?

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Let me guess - this is a new parts-store solenoid, correct? If so, I believe it is junk. The plastic inside is not able to handle the pull of the bar that makes the electromagnetic connection. I've run into this several times myself, and questioned my diagnostic skills every time.

In short, if you want to fix it once, go find yourself a junkyard solenoid out of an old Ford and use that instead. Or, if you prefer, keep running into this problem and replace the new solenoid every 5-10 times you start the car. :) Good luck-

13. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Thanks John. I guess that's what it is. Disconnected it and it shuts off. Really new to electrical. Why is this happening and what's the fix?

14. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Okay when I leave the alterantor power wire connected it shuts off. But when I put the alternator exciter wire connected it won't shut off. Any suggestions with that info?

15. Butch11443

Butch11443

Put a diode in the exciter wire. Will prevent back-feeding the ignition switch.
    Butch

16. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Thanks butch, forgot that I read that in the Frequently asked questions on rebels web site. :eek:

17. Hmmm
    sounds like a poor connection some where in the circuit ... Loop of continuity
    a clean grounded strap... Engine(starter) to battery
    a clean grounded strap... Frame to engine
    a ground wire body to frame

good contact between dash to body... (scrape off paint or run a ground strap .. Or both)

make sure all items that need good grounds are cleaned and tight .... Shiney bare metal or corrosion , paint ,rust free metal

make sure all items that should not ground out .. Do not .. Painted or grommets

make sure ign switch is not grounding out at its mount hole

18. pcterm2

pcterm2

i maybe stupid but what about this
    "But if I hold the key to start it for more than 2 seconds smoke would start coming out behind the steering wheel..." :confused:

19. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

And the next time I need help from an @$$HOLE..., I'll ask you. Thanks. :D

20. steve53

steve53

how is he an asshole? smoke coming from wiring more than likely means melting insulation. it is possible in that case that a hot wire has melted onto your ignition wire and that is where you are getting a cross feed; or possibly that you didnt install the harness properly.

smoking wiring is a horrible sign and should be addressed to prevent burning your truck to the ground while parked in the garage.

21. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

It wasn't smoking wiring genuis. No wiring was ran through my or along my column. It was something I never seen before.... I asked for help nothing else.

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch...

22. Just a reminder Krackerjerk ... we CAN'T see your truck. We don't know whether or not there is wiring in or near your column. You mentioned smoke coming out of the column (behind the steering wheel) did you not? Smoke and wiring are not very good together ... someone suggested that maybe the problem is whatever is causing the smoke ... common sense. I think I may have a very good idea who the real a$$hole is here.

23. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well if you can't see it then why are "we" making assumptions?

24. You're kidding right? Making assumptions? I thought you posted for some help, someone replied with a possible cause to your problems. There is a very real possibility that your "smoke from behind the wheel" really is the problem. Why is that so hard to understand? If the smoke has absolutely nothing to do with your issue why did YOU mention it?

My guess is your comment regarding "smoke from behind the wheel" was a really poor attempt at humour (being that there really wasn't any smoke)... you failed miserably.