Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ventura Nationals Twlight Zone Wierdness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Sep 7, 2010.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

This was a very bizarre weekend. First we left in my friends 1960 chevy wagon from Paso. Things were going fine we were bullshitting on the topic of how great peanut butter is, then the wagon decides "Fuck it! I want to go over there...NOW!" The wagon liftes up and feels like we are riding on greased ice. I thought we were clipped by another car and that is why we are sliding. As I am holding on I am looking from side to side to see the phantom car the had sent us in to the slide of chaos. All I saw was a brilliant ploom of sparks emitting from were the rear wheel should be. Now to those of you that are familar with Northern California. This all happened right a the Gaviota reststop. As we were sliding at 90 degree angle we are perfectly on target to hit the rock wall that divides the freeway and the reststop. My friend Joey looks over at me and says "I got nothing" meaning he had lost the brakes. I look ahead, I see the wall coming I say one final "Oh Shit" and close my eyes waiting for the impact. Then some how rear of the wagon swings to the right straightening us out and narrowly misses the wall by a foot. We gently slide to a stop on the side of the freeway completly unharmed. It was like the end of a scary rollercoaster when you were young. I half expected a Carnie to open up my lap restaint and point me to the exit of the ride. At this time we both got out I ran back to grab the wheel. Some how the axle had snapped right at the head of the axle. A total mystery to me. 65 mph + sliding at 90 degree angle + 1960 chevy wagon + 2 goobers riding in it = 0 injuries. To me it still just does not add up.

2. The Blurr

The Blurr

This is the aftermath. Funny thing too. No damage to the car only the lip of the wheel well bent as you can see in the photo.

Attached Files:

3. Moondog13

Moondog13

Damn dude, I would've shat myself. Glad you're ok! :D

4. The Blurr

The Blurr

Thanks Man, I have never heard of this happening before. Axles just don't break.

5. Yeah they do!! Been there done that. Mine had a flaw ( Bubble ) from the factory. Time to buy a lottery ticket!!

6. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

glad you guys and the car are ok..sorry you missed the show

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Shit man, that's intense! Glad you two are ok, but shit... that is one scary ass ride!!!

Shit!

8. The Blurr

The Blurr

HAHA! We totally did! Great minds think alike.:D

9. The Blurr

The Blurr

OH no, We still made it to the show. We had a GREAT time too! We partied our asses off.

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

You are lucky it happened where it did, if it was before on that nasty windey section you would have been in deep trouble and all the cars behind you that smashed into you would too.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Did you fix-it or take another ride?

12. The Blurr

The Blurr

We ditched it at a friends house and got another ride.

13. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

glad you made it to the show then...

14. Glad you guys are ok. Scary shit!

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

parts falling off: bad

sliding to a stop without crashing or getting hurt: good

16. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

fuckin a!

Reminds me of the time i lost the carrier in my rearend and it just locked solid.

scary stuff

17. Couldn't drive a toothpick up your butt with a hammer, I bet. Glad you're all OK.

18. The Blurr

The Blurr

Yep, The pucker factor was off the charts.

19. That's fucking cool! Good thing you made it.

20. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Glad you guys made it out of that ordeal, that's a shitty spot to thave that happen. I've had friends lose axles on the nojoqui grade right before that too, all kinds of other mishaps too. Maybe it's the spirit of the long lost Highway town that was once Las Cruces. Spoooky

21. sololobo

sololobo

Plenty freaky pals, but thank god you and the ride made it thru. Remember to take extra underwear even if it is a day trip, one never knows. The coast highway is a blast, but could turn mean with out a notice. Cool to hear you went on to the show to ease the pain. Good luck on your repairs. ~Sololobo~

22. The Blurr

The Blurr

It was very freaky. We were high on life all weekend long. And to top it off I helped out a guy out in front of the Vagabond Inn Resturant on Sunday. He was having trouble breathing could not catch his breath. I asked if he needed help he said grab my bag off the back of the scooter. I opened it up there was a nebulizer. My Dad had Valley Fever a while ago and I knew what it was. I put it together any put the medicine in it and got him going. He still was not doing good turning blue. I told my wife to call 911. I waited until the ambulance came and they hauled him off. Then I went in side to enjoy some biscuts and gravy for breakfast.

23. Glad you guys are okay! Most stories that start out like that,have much worse pictures to go with it! JustplainJ,StudebakerDave and I stayed at the Vagabond also! At least you still got to go to the show....

24. what about peanut butter?
    I need to know...
    seems you were derailed from the important part of the story....

25. The Blurr

The Blurr

That is NO joke. That is all that happened to the car! The Supereme the spider cap that flew off was not even scratched.

26. The Blurr

The Blurr

Oh, we were just saying peanut butter is awesome. Joey my friend who was driving. Was enjoying a peanut butter Twix and a Rockstar Lemonade. He was saying how much he liked the Twix with peanut butter. I said yeah peanut butter is pretty much an all around bad assed condiment. Then all hell broke loose and I ended up wearing most of the Lemonade Rockstar after Joey threw into the air and grab hold of the wheel. The peanut butter Twix was the only real tragity. It was crushed under foot in all the comotion:(

27. Jay71

Jay71

Glad it all worked out. Sorry about the Twix bar but how bout that Vagabond breakfast?! One of my favorites in town!

28. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

Did you go back to the rest stop to change your shorts ?

29. The Blurr

The Blurr

That place is one of my favorites too. I have gone there every year for the Primer Nats now the Ventura Nats. They have been celebrating the 40th anniversary for a few years now.

30. The Blurr

The Blurr

Well it was a perfect place to have an acciedent. (Pun totally intended):D