Register now to get rid of these ads!

sold a body 9months ago, got paid in full, still have it....what now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 7, 2010.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

So i sold a willys body on ebay around late Dec. early Jan., the guy paid me the same day of auction, and to this day has not seen it in person. I have not been charging storage.(would've cost more than the body by now:rolleyes:) The last time i spoke with the guy he said that he would come pick it up this past sunday. The guys a no show.

I have this body taking up valuable space in my shop and i need it gone. Should i start charging storage fees, or tell him he forfiets the body if not gone in 30day?

How should i handle this?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sell it again. dudes a flake.

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Send him an email saying he has 7 days to get it. If not its yours. Resell it after you never hear back from him. Sounds like the guy lost intrest. 9 months is being more than a nice guy.

Rob

4. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Put it outside in the weather and send him a pic next time it rains.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

30 day notice then forfiet and resell it. had an adequate amount of time to pick it up.

6. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Email and a phone call...........give a week to get it or forfeit............

Mark

same deal here..have had a body sitting for over a year..........no storage...gonna do the same thing...one week or give it up..........

Mark

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Its all new steel, i beat out by hand. I cant do that.

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I dont even have the guys email anymore. I left a message on his home phone today just askin him to return my call, hasnt yet.

9. jkherd

jkherd

Send letter Registered mail stating the buyer needs to do or forfeit the body to create a paper trail to cover you bases

10. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Whatever you do, do it in writing.

Dollars to doughnuts he's gonna call the day after you resell it.

11. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

same thing happened to me, after 9 months HE said he was going to get it, Told Pay-Pal he didn't complete the transaction, THEY GAVE 100% OF THE MONEY BACK, and I HAD TO REPAY IT.....BEWARE....even after I showed them HIS emails promising to get it, and finally not going to get it all, but the STILL gave him his cash BACK.....

12. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

Can I have it ?

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

Since you've been paid where can I come pick it up at? :D

14. This is what I've done...make copies of all communications and send his deadline via registered mail so he's shown to sign for it...

15. raidmagic

raidmagic

:pawww you beat me to it Grandpa.:p

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

i dont have his adress. This has all happened so long ago now that it is not longer in my ebay history. atleast i dont think it is.

17. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I am sorry, I got tied up, very busy I will be there this weekend what was the address again,lol

18. Be careful with all these "Suggestions" on here. Unless you have some sort of written agreement or something showing in the original auction pertaining to pickup, you cannot just arbitrarily sell it, dispose of it or anything else. By law, you must make every "reasonable" effort to contact the buyer and give him a reasonable amount of time to pick it up. You must also outline to him your intentions as to storage charges from here on out (you cannot back track this) and a date that you will dispose of the property. If you sell it again you could owe that money to him as it is not your property to sell, you no longer have legal claim to it.
    I don't practice law in New York and every state is different but I would strongly suggest that you investigate your state laws before moving forward if he doesn't responded to your phone call.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be VERY careful, and keep a good paper trail. Some things that are being suggested here may constitute fraud, and could get YOU in a ton of trouble. Check your state laws before doing anything.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did you take paypal? if so your paypal records will go back that far. his address and email should be in there.

also you should never take paypal for a pick up item as there is no proof of delivery. cash and carry only. paypal is NOT safe for sellers

if this was a board full of wimmins they would all be telling you that you should refund him and if you keep the money and the item it is stealing. wimmens are funny like that.

21. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Had the same thing happen to me, sold a truck cab to a guy in Hawaii. He sent me a check, I cashed it and waited for him to make arrangements to pick it up. Kept in constant contact via emails. He kept telling me he had arranged a truck but never gave a firm date. He stopped responding to my emails. After about six months it was getting into winter and I told him it had to be out of here before the snow fell or it could be frozen into the ground. I emailed again, no response, called his number twice and left messages and finally sent a register letter telling him if it wasn't picked up in 30 days the money he paid would be put toward storage. Never heard from him and a month later sold it again. The last time it was picked up within a week.

22. metalman

metalman

I don't sell often on e-bay but if is a car or something that must be picked up I always put in the desription that it must be picked up within 30 days. Gives a little leverage in case it doesn't get picked up. Learned to do that at the shop, cars are easy to storage lean but parts arn't. Put it on the invoices "left over parts must be picked up in 30 or they will be disposed of". Guys would show up a year or two later to pick up the old motor and trans I had pulled during a swap, guess they figured I was such a nice guy I'd store it for them in my way for free, get pissed when they found out it was long gone but due to the contract they signed they couldn't do anything to me.

23. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

friend of mine had the same thing happen to him... he sold an old 60's chevy truck on ebay, guy paid for it through paypal at the end of the auction.. a year and a half went by and truck still sat on his lot..

my friend got tired of looking at it, tried to email the guy many times with no response, tryed to call him on his cell phone and guy would never answer, but his phone was still active..

my friend called his lawyer and the lawyer told him being that it sat on his property for so long it would be actually considered rightfully my friends property at that point... something like if you sell something, if it isnt picked up within 90days it is considered your property at that point..

dunno if this is all true, but what my friend told me.. i do know the truck was sold, and that it did sit on his lot for a long time, and i know he resold it on ebay again for roughly the same price, this time the new buyer got it within 1 week of the sale..

i also talked to another guy that had bought a small farm years ago, and there happened to be an aar cuda in the barn under a tarp, car sat there for 3 years. he was afraid to do anything with it because he knew the possible value of the car. he actually built walls and a door around it to protect it for whomever.. after time he called his lawyer and the lawyer told him he was now the owner of a plymouth barracuda because of the time period it sat on his property, he applied for a new title and it was approved.. to this day, that i know of, no one has contacted him regarding the car.. hes thinking possibly the previos owner of the farm had went bankrupt and lost the property, wasnt able to get the car, and passed away over the time period or the car just went with the property, but it didnt have a title with it..

24. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Wimmens sure do know how to carry on.

25. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

WOW. I ran onto same deal a few years ago. Dude called and said him and wife were just leaving and never showed up or answered phone after that. I can't help but think something terrible happened on the way. I waited a year and then resold it, feel bad, but whats a guy to do...:confused:

26. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I agree with the watch how you handle it crowd, technically it's his property. Ebay is terrible when it comes to situations like this, sure as Sunday they will give him his money back. If you send him correspondence it has to be notarized, certified snail mail, you keep the notary copy he gets the copy machine copy. Give him his terms against value of storage. If you do it legal they will have a hard time charging you back.

27. Remember if you do resell it you have to give him a refund. You could deduct any costs of relisting from his refund even the difference in price if it sells for less.

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

He might be in Jail for life .

29. brad chevy

brad chevy

Good policy not to deal with E-bay or paypal or western union for any sale.cash and carry just like at the grocery store.Everyone is right e-bay and paypal back the buyer,not the seller.Put the thing outside ,you didn"t advertize drystorage did you?If you can get his address from e-bay send a Certified letter stating your demands and you are covered.