Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jimg12

jimg12

Guys I am only going on what I REMEMBER as I only saw it once, but I do not remember it being splined in the middle to carry any weight and was not hooked up like an anti roll bar as it was all mounted with heim ends. It did just have one bar in a tube like a half bar car would. That is the best I remember and like I said I never saw a nother one like it. I could be wrong as it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it use to be. gnuse what is it like now?

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

If this is what I think it is, this was an item that Walt Flynn of Enterprise Machine came up with. I think the idea was to be able to have equal length arms on both sides of the car and eliminate different rear end movement from side to side as the suspension worked. It was sort of a passing fad thing in the Indy area but didn't really catch on for several reasons.

3. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

RE: Speedy's car--- The spline in the middle did not show, it was inside the tube.

4. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

What do you think Uncle Rich He answered the question correctly when he said something was done to get more forward bite. No such thing as side bite only lack of forward bite.

5. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I almost hate to get into this discussion, because my 10 or so years of setting up a TQ pale in comparison to the wealth of experience on this thread, but I take exception to the statement "no such thing as side bite". Anything that alters the roll center (moving the mounting point of a Panhard bar/Jacob's ladder, changing ride height) will affect the amount of traction (weight transfer) that is applied to the right rear as a car rolls into the turn. Anyone ever see a traction circle? There is only so much grip available and it is apportioned by how much force is applied in a given direction. Adding in the complexity of a changing dirt track is what made the game fun for me. G-force in a turn is another name for side bite. Without it, we'd all be drag racers.

6. cru_zn_29

cru_zn_29

Does anyone know anything about Old #65??? I was told it was raced in Calif. Thanks Kenny

Attached Files:

7. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

My guess it was somebody's first dragster not circle track.

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

my thought also.....

9. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hello All, I went to the first annual Racers Reunion at Old Dominion Speedway the other day.....that post is over on the H.A.M.B.Vintage Modifides site.

This post is for the Hinchliffe Stadium Reunion. Hinchliffe was before my time but I wanted to see it. Mostly I went to meet you folks on this HAMB site, that was a bust, where were you all?

I did get to say hello to Chris Econ....and Ken Brenn. Got my picture taken with Jimmy Maguire and Ace Lane Jr. and on the way down I stopped off and chatted with Wynns#1.

Sorry no pictures, left my camera in the car ##!!!.

I hope to be at Ken Brenn's show next week.

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Denny,I was there,got a few shots,I have posted them over on the midget thread......Rich

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hey Folks, I race the night before but I'm gonna try to make the (Ken Brenn) car show next Sunday 12th.
    Why don't you wear name tags that say H.A.M.B. so I can find you I will do the same.

Denny Z

12. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone have some contact info for Jim Hettinger from Mich.? I may be doing a project that passed through his and his dads hands.

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

14. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

GRRRRREAT idea Denny.

Now how to get a name tag without buying an entire roll of 'em?? ... Have to look through my office supplies to see what I can come up with.

I think that MAYBE I'll also wear my Charlie Jarzombek T shirt???

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I made the Hinchcliffe Reunion .. as did Rich (RABs32) and his Uncle Billy Courtwright (racerbillyc) too.

I arrived late .. Long Island is a great place to live .. but to go some where one must first get off this island. I (incorrectly) figured that the Sunday smack in the middle of the holiday weekend that there would be no traffic. WRONG!!! Between the delays on the Long Island Expressway (often called the worlds longest parking lot) and then on the Cross Bronx Expressway .. I got there about two hours later than I had planned to.

I hope to meet 'ya .. and others from here .. this coming Sunday, at Ken Brenn's show in Warren, NJ !!!!
    I know that there will be some of the same HAMBers, plus OTHERS from here there too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  16. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

KEN BRENN'S SHOW ... ANOTHER IDEA
    http://www.warrennjcarshow.org

Sprinter 2 (Doug) is bringing his beautiful Darrell - Villa #83 Kurtis Offy midget.
    MAYBE us HAMBers can set up a time to meet by his car?

Either that or MAYBE PM each other with our cell phone numbers and comprise a list of numbers that one or two of us could call while at the the show ... to arrange us all getting together there????

Just some thoughts.

Anyone?????????

17. tractorguy

tractorguy

Anybody have any updates on the health and condition of Lee Kunzman ? Also, if he is still in the hospital, what hospital is he in ? Thanks

18. I think you have a great idea there. I am at shows and etc., and many times I am right next to a hamber and have no idea. We are a community, and it's good to know good neighbors. Never know when you might need one.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Anyone tell me anything about PETE WALES, WALES TRUCKING, DALLAS TX.

I know who he is, what he did, and what he raced..

I'm looking for Contact info on Him (if he's still alive... doubtful) or any relatives, friends, co-workers..

Also looking for info on Westwood Tool Mfg. that sponsored cars in the 50's through Pete.

Thanks fella's.

20. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Have nothing helpful, but was wondering if this is the same Pete Wales who used to own Winchester?

21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Great idea Ken. I'm gonna try to make it but I race the night before so who knows?

Anyway my cell # 860-986-3817. I turn it off at the races but the rest of the time it's on, also I don't answer when I'm driving on the highway so if I don't answer leave a message, I will call you back. Denny Z

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

GRRREAT Denny!! THANKS!!

From your posting on the midget thread here, I had already put it into my cell phone.

What I'll do is collect as many cell numbers as I can, from those that plan on going, and just prior to a time we prearrange here (Noon or 1 PM or another suggestion that we agree) on I'll call everyone with a reminder to meet maybe at Doug's (Sprinter 2) beautiful Darrell - Villa # 83 Kurtis Offy midget .. or if it's really hot & sunny maybe in the shade of the green & white stripped Easy-Up (sideless tent) that Ken Brenn had folks like us gather in last year?

I'm also going to call some folks like Lenny Boyd, Ed Mataka & others to see if they're going .. if so, gather their cell numbers too.

Rich (RABs32) ... Doug (Sprinter 2) and anyone else who plans on being there, what is your cell numbers? ... PM (Private Message) me here .. or eMail me at [email protected] if you'd rather not post them publically.

I know a few other former midget drivers not on HAMB (yet) .. who will also be there. I'll bring them into this too.

For the record, my cell number is 1-631-807-1102 .. only on when I'm out & about .. such as when I'll be at this upcoming show.

Anyone else going to be there? .. Cell numbers PLEASE. .... Also what time of the day would be good too.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Pretty sure Wales, the champ car owner, was out of Ohio (?)

24. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Ken, Maybe we can set up a HAMB meet and greet at a certain time by some ones car at Brenn's show.....Rich

25. baldtireman

baldtireman

Josh: Did you see your "reasonable facsimile" for sale on "Racing Junk"? From a distance,looks quite similar.Wonder if the attention to detail is there? Yours is like a "Ridler" quality piece! John S.

26. racer5c

racer5c

I remember some of Gary Bettenhausens cars having 2 sets of torsion bars, the 2nd set was an "over ride" bar the bars holding the car up were softer, the 2nd set would come into play the farther the suspension moved, Garys cars were half bar too, maybe the car in question was like this

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guy's, I posted these shots on the midget thread and thought i'd post them here. Friend of mine Keith Majka's got this midget and he's looking for any information that he can get to help with his restoration of the car. The car was driven by Johnny Zeke. so if you guys have any info,pictures,or what ever to help him would be greatly appreciated,THANKS .....Rich

Attached Files:

• 318.jpg
      318.jpg
      File size:
      247.1 KB
      Views:
    • 295.jpg
      295.jpg
      File size:
      513.3 KB
      Views:
    • 308.jpg
      308.jpg
      File size:
      498.9 KB
      Views:
    • 309.jpg
      309.jpg
      File size:
      388.6 KB
      Views:
    • 310.jpg
      310.jpg
      File size:
      456.1 KB
      Views:
    • 311.jpg
      311.jpg
      File size:
      362.6 KB
      Views:
    • 312.jpg
      312.jpg
      File size:
      501.6 KB
      Views:
    • 313.jpg
      313.jpg
      File size:
      491.1 KB
      Views:
    • 315.jpg
      315.jpg
      File size:
      495.7 KB
      Views:
  28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I thought that too.. and still do. But, I went to the Indy Museum yesterday, went through the Photo books for 48' - 56'.. Found 5 photo's of Pete's car, and in the one picture of it the hood says in HUGE letters...

WALES TRUCKING, DALLAS TX.

Kinda threw me off...

Any clue? Did he perhaps move from Texas to Ohio during the 50's? When did he have Winchester? (yes SPEEDWRENCH, the same... I Think)

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

YES! That's Mike Strikers... It's REAL NICE! Bad ass piece.

Kind of a deal actually!

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe he owned Winchester through the 60s. No clue as to the TX. connection, maybe he bought a trucking co. based in Dallas and changed the name (??) I'm thinking Harley Gene, being pretty well versed in the Winchester/Dayton history, might have some insight in the matter though.