Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do you get yourself MOTIVATED to work on your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Sep 5, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should do something on a project other than look at it, anyone else in the same situation? I could clear crap out of the way and make more work space, but it isn't progress. Can't use lack of funds as an excuse, stuff can be done with the tools and parts on hand. Just stuck on dead center. :(

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

3. Phrappster

Phrappster

Someone on here once said

"concentrate on 1 thing at a time, don't think about the whole thing at once. keep doing that and it will start to come together"

I found that to be good advice, if you have no cash then grab a wire brush or sandpaper and start cleaning something!

4. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

The more you work on it the quicker it gets done, the quicker it gets done the quicker you can drive it and enjoy.

5. BLZEEBUB

BLZEEBUB
    from Ireland

Built an O/T car up from a shell recently (well it took the last 2 years to complete it/ get it on the road) -no 'title' ( as you call it in US) after being promised by the seller that one was there and would be sent on - this situation lasted 6months and didnt do anything with the car as I thought it would be pointless/waste of money.
    Built it entirely outside, in all weathers, except the most severe; I made lots of lists and put them in front of the steering wheel on the dash binnacle, and that kept direction progress 'rolling'...
    I talked bored folk to death about 'when id have it on the road' so 'had to' follow through and finish it...
    Mojo/motorviation ebbs n flows for all except the most disciplined. Once a job is done its satisying x it off the list, even if in my case it has to be done again, or you upgrade stuff yet again eg. brakes.

Encouragement on forums like this from the 'good people' on forums also boye's up motorviation, and helps a great deal...

Just my 2c there...

6. gsport

gsport

boy.... ain't that the truth. i'll go for weeks without doing anything...

7. I find a clean and well organized space to be more motivation to work in my cave.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

You my friend, are a sick man,..... :D

9. I like playing in my garage and I still like playing with cars. Same things have kept me going on projects my whole life.

10. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I've found it easy to stay motivated....... I'm getting married in 40 days and my fiance has asked that the car be running for the reception as she wants to leave in the car. There is nothing more motivating then thinking that your marriage will start off on a sour note if your car ain't running! If I could make a recommendation, I would make sure that you are having fun when you are working on it. I found myself not having fun so I took a break for a couple of days.

11. YoungGun

YoungGun

to get the ball rolling for me,is a friend who wants it to be done so we can hit the cruise ins once im working on it and progress is being made i keep on it the closer it gets the harder i work...

friends usually push me to start though "shut up and lets work nothing is getting done sitting here" they say

12. petersen43

petersen43
    from New Jersey

Marry a total bitch, she'll motivate you to spend every waking moment in the garage.
    Somethin's bound to get done out there!

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

a dirty disorganized work space can be a deterrent to progress.

as for getting started, how do you get out of bed in the morning?

you just do.

one simple action will lead to another,
    pretty soon you won't be thinking about why not but what next.

14. I know.:rolleyes: But it does help. I work out of my house. A good working space is very important to me......so I clean shop every friday. I've worked for other guys in resto shops and tripping over parts and wiggling through the rows gets old fast.....

The trick is to have a storage closet to put all your junk in. This a 8 x 10 attached to the back of my garage. I have 3 gorilla racks in there to hold everything................and a bunch of crap.

[​IMG]

I just move the scope out and instant access to everything. I've got at least 2 1/2 engines in there. Tons of small box stuff. 3 or 4 sets of tires and rims, etc......

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just read that....................December 23, 1950 are you my twin brother I never met?:eek:

16. exactly. I'd love to lie in bed all day....but if I did that I'd be living in a cardboard box.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

YoungGun is right,.... Come to think of it, when I lived down state, My buddy Mark and I would give each other a swift kick in the "kindunkis" (figuratively speaking) to keep each other motivated,....

Friends don't let friends lolly-gag! (sp?) :D

18. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Go out in the shop with a six pack and a pad of paper. Sit at the bench crack a beer and write a list of what has to be done.Even the small stupid stuff. Put it all in a row so you can check it off as you go.Tell your self you are going to do at least 3 things evertime you go out there to work on it.Thats were the stupid stuff comes in to play.You might not be motivated at the time ,but do a small thing snow balls into were did all the time go?Worked for me. And do a video of the project.You'll be amazed of how much you did.And go back and watch it to get motivated too!

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

We are all going to die some day, so do something with your life. You dont want to be on your death bed thinking, "Man, I should have built that car,... but".

20. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I agree , one component at a time, and make a list.
    go outside and do one thing everyday, even if its only for 1/2 an hour. some days will be better then others, don't beat yourself up about the bad days and enjoy your progress on the good days.

for me its getting my butt outside, if I can get out the door I am good but, my leather recliner and central air conditioning feel so nice when its almost 100 degrees outside.

on my last project I had 1 month the finish to make a show, I put my P.C. away and left the TV off, AMAZING what you can get done without the distractions.

you can do it!

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Very possibly,.... but I was born 8 months later,.....:D

22. I have run into the same problem from time to time being over whelmed at the work to be done. I have found that its best not to look at the whole project as one but as seperate projects. I make sure I do ONE thing for myself every day. It doesn't have to be much. It could be just mounting a couple tires or bolting one part in place but you MUST do ONE thing every day. You can spend as little as a couple minutes but before you know, a whole lot gets done and you wonder why it seemed like such a task before. This is what has worked for me and a couple others now have followed my suggestion and are also back on track as a result. Try it. Just get started and do ONE thing.

23. druids62

druids62

It is very difficult to work with my wife's size 7 stilletto in my butt, so I just keep moving!:D:D:D Besides I am not getting any younger and its high time to fulfill more of my bucket list.Then there is my all-time favourite; watch American Grafitti again and again

24. Fogger

Fogger

Something has to motivate you to complete any project. I had promised my dad a ride to LARS for Father's day 1986 in my 3W. 12 hour days at my job and at least 6 hours every night on the car. Finished it on the Friday before Father's day and we went to Pomona. I collected parts for my roadster for 2 years before I had enough time off from work to put it together. My goal for that one was to complete it for the PRCRR three years ago. Worked on it every day for three months and drove to Pasadena for the 2008 event. Richard Lacy granted me a late entry and the President awarded me with his choice as favorite traditional style roadster for the event. Like anything you have to have goals and not be distracted.

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

this can be helpful for some,
    it can help one relax and get inspired

but others gotta be careful here,
    for some one beer leads to two which leads to three which leads to...
    next thing you know the fridge is empty,
    nothing got done and tomorrow you are too hung over to get started.
    the garage just becomes the place where you sit and get drunk.

been there,
    now I only crack a beer after the work is done.

26. F&J

F&J

I got remotovated by reading Harms Way's post...let it sink in...and sold stuff. then I looked at "the clock of life"....I don't want to leave basket cases behind.

like I told Harms Way in that thread (I think), I said to pick the one car you would sell LAST in a crisis...then work on that one.

Sell off stuff that's not been worked on in 20/30 years. It's just a distraction. who gives a good s--- about a mass of a few unrelated cool things mixed in with mostly crap...get it gone.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I am finally down to the keepers, "newest" project has been ongoing since 1989, I'm back on the one I started in 1962. I still think there is a market for a TV series based on slow builds to counter the 7 day Foose type build.

28. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

X2! I do that and read the HAMB, get jealous, then go work on it.

• Watch one less hour of TV one night a week. What show do you watch just because you've watched it and you shouldn't? Use that time toward your project.
    • Log off, Webhog!
    • Eff it. If you're not motivated to do something that's supposed to be fun, then it's probably not fun anymore.

29. Fenders

Fenders

X3 !! After a couple years of on/off on my current build, I came to this conclusion. Get out there, no matter how short or long, and do one thing, no matter how small or large, each day.
    Then that thing is done and you move on to the next thing. (Well OK, you may re-do it differently another day...)