Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

2. Geez, you're killin' me here Vistacruiser. :D I think the Olds wagon in this shot is possibly being driven by Sam Shinabery, a friend of mine who was also my auto tech instructor a lot of years ago. I think I've only seen a black and white version of this shot before, maybe somebody colorized this one.

I think the wagon in the far lane here was driven by Sam Stockwell??? Think I've seen a color shot of this car before and seem to recall it being painted School Bus Yellow. Sadly never got to actually see any of these cars go down the track. Just a couple years ahead of my time. :D

3. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

4. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Vistacruiser'67---Awesome shots! That white Jim Waibel car ended up being campaigned by the Wayne County Speed Shop, and I think the Doc Burgess car was raced by someone else, too. Take a look at page #90 of this thread and see the "Anderson Olds" '69 W31 post 4-speed. The red '65 pictured here was their first racer and the '69 was their last. I'm kinda partial to those cars as I now own the '69 W31 and have worked at Anderson for almost thirty years now. I grew up with the '65 because my Dad worked there then and we always went to the track to watch and help. Until next time.....Dave.

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Don't give up Colesy. This thread is too enjoyable.

Just ask the culprit to delete his post.

6. It's quite amazing that this shot of my buddy, John Hillman's Olds ( and my 63 GP 421 ,4 speed car,next door) keeps showing up on the 'net.
    John was a tough,hard working local racer ,who I'm glad to see finally getting recognized nationally.
    This shot was in late '69 at Connecticut Dragway.

7. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Is this the car that became Buddy Ingerson's car?

8. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

I think we owe this photo to Gene Horn's Flickr page. Several other pictures of this car there.

9. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

10. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I believe this is "Hillbilly" Duncan from Columbus OH in his 50 "woody wagon". Saw him even get air under the front with it once! I didnt think Shinaberry ever ran a "woody"?

COLESY -- PULLEASE! DONT SHUT IT DOWN!! GOTTA KEEP IT ALIVE!!

11. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm here, watching, reading, and loving all of the great pictures and stories. I'd be interested in seeing any Chevy II Wagon pictures if anyone has them :)

13. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Thanks....Lets not let a couple of bad apples mess this up. This Jr. Stock thread has given me a look back into time and a lot of enjoyable reading. Thanks for starting it.
    Terry Bell:)

14. unklgriz

unklgriz

Ya thanks for keeping this alive. I really enjoy this one and the M/P thread.

The history that you guys come up with and all of your knowledge is just amazing.

Larry

15. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

This thread is Cragar heaven! Any idea what size wheel/tire on the front of this one?

16. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I dont like to be the "spoiler" here --- but if you look close at the door of the wood wagon in the pix you posted you can see the name "Hillybilly" scripted there. It is evident in about 3 of the pix? Also the pic of the classified ad with Hillybilly is a different wagon that he had for sale -- as you can see in the ad - he claims it has never been raced!! i still dont think Shinaberry ever ran a woody? could be wrong? Car says "67 Springnationals Champion? Mystery here?

17. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Not sure about this car but most people ran the biggest diameter tire size that would fit without interfering with the inner fender panel. Some cars could only accommodate 7.10 x 15, I think my Corvette had 6.70 x 15 fronts. The sizes available went up (if I recall correctly) to over 8.? x 15. We were dealing with "American" tire dimensions in those days, not metric. Most wheels were 3" or 4" wide. I saw Cragars that were either custom made or modified to the extent that the outer rim wasn't wide enough to completely blend with the center section. At one point, I had a set of 15" Chevrolet "rally wheels" centers welded into 3" wide rims. All the Cragar and Keystone-type wheels were great looking but heavy as hell. When aluminum wheels hit the market (Fenton and others) the whole wheel scene changed dramatically. Then, by 1972 and '73 the Cragar Super Tricks changed things again.

c

18. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Chuck.....Im surprised you didnt go to Indy to see the JOKES of the day in class run offs.....lol.
    Terry:D

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

There are a LOT of mistakes in Larry Davis' book. I offered to proof read it for free for him a few years ago when I was at the PRI show in Indy and they were going to have another run of them but never heard back from them. Oh well. Everything in that book is NOT as it was or correct. :eek:

20. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

21. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

22. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY