Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborn Injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatRoy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. RatRoy

RatRoy

A friend of mine is installing a 392 Hemi in his 41 Plymouth and it has a mid 1970's Hilborn Injection system and pump on the motor. What is required to convert this system to a street-able system. I have heard someone makes a kit that includes a MAP senor and pump that will allow the injectors to be drivable on the street. Anybody got any ideas on which way to go?????:confused:

2. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

I assume it's a mechanical injection?
    Yes it can be converted to an EFI. Call Hilborn.
    Can you make a mech system streetable? Yes, but as some one told me once "Being cool aint easy or cheap but it's damn fun!".

If you're looking to make it "streetable" you just need to understand mfi. It's really simple and that's why people fuck it up so much.
    Your best bet is to call hilborn and tell them what you are doing and they can ball park you.

3. I am in the process of tuning a 392 with a 671 and a enderle birdcatcher. Like Rob said, be patient. You can get it to be driveable or raceable but not both. We are 1 flat away from dead on, fat or lean on gas. It is one bad mother though.

4. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Neverdun,
    With an enderle system I found a way to do both.
    It takes some messing with but if you change four of your eight hat nozzels to port check nozzel bodies ( http://www.goodvibesracing.com/nozzle_bodies.htm#Ball Check Bodies ) you can make it a three circuit system. You'll need shims to vary when the fuel comes in.
    You idle off of two then have two more come in off idle then at full throttle the rest come in. You'll need a largeer set of nozzels for the first two. It takes some experimenting.
    I had to fire the motor several times with a long hose and the port check nozzels off and in a coffee can (ONE CIRCUIT AT A TIME). This way you can taylor when the fuel comes in. You'll need to cut the springs on some and add shims to others but it works great!!
    Then whwn you want to race put your reg nozzels back in and re-set the b-valve.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010

5. farmer12

farmer12

Certainly give Hilborn a call, they'll be able to point you and your friend in the right direction. Small world, I'm also dropping a 392 in a 41 Plymouth.( this engine has EFI. ) Would love to see some pics if you have them. Good luck. Here's a pic of my 392.

Attached Files:

6. willys1330

willys1330

Talk to Bob @ Imagine Injection 602-377-4093 . They can help you out and convert what you have.