Register now to get rid of these ads!

What goes on round Austin Tx? shall i move there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Hey, kinda like Indy....

2. guy1unico

guy1unico

The truth... lived there 1981 - 1987
    would not do it again
    alot of traffic
    very liberal town / no growth/ but it boomed wasn't planned well
    gets old after about 3 years
    no real culture unless you are into tatoos and country music.
    cool place to visit...roundup (excellent)
    if you want to make a good living go for Dallas 1st then Houston
    everywhere else is pure hype.
    Guy

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Hey, at least you got the traffic part right! Good thing there's no traffic on Central.:D

4. Tim G

Tim G

I guess there's always going to be the lovers and the haters when talking about any town on the planet but i reckon you can get a good idea about a place from all the mixed reviews, obviously the proof in the pudding is in the tasting and i'd definately like a taste :)

5. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

Won't know until you try; as far as the culture thing goes, their working on that and doing a pretty good job I suspect. The high tech industry has brought a disparate group of people in and they demand something more than just "both kinds of music" and skin art. The traffic is terrible, get a helicopter.

The geography around the place is gorgeous, and there are lots of artistic types, not just musicians. As far as the greater part of the town - it's just a town. The people are just like people in every other town; gangs, homeless people wandering around. Are you familiar with the subject of Statistics and Probability? Wherein, if you put enough whackos in one town, sooner or later they're all going to get on the same bus together, and it's going to be a long ride. But if you have a car, problem solved.:cool:

I was treated very badly there and naturally I'm going to be very upset about it, but there are over 3/4 of a million people in Austin and most are fairly happy to be there. If you can make a reasonable living, I suspect you will be, too. There are also a number of other ex-pats there, Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, the odd Irishman. The Draughthorse Pub looks almost like the pubs I've seen in pictures in Britain. Go for it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Homeless in Austin? I guess they just haven't moved to Berkeley yet.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's interesting how different people perceive different things in life. I've lived in Dallas and have spent way too much time in Houston. I couldn't live in either town now. Dallas is stale concrete. Houston is stagnant water.

Austin is just where I belong... I like the people here and I like the vibe. It's just for me.

The traffic thing sucks. I hate traffic. It's not as bad as Dallas, Houston, or even Kansas City (my last stop), but it is pretty bad. Thankfully, I live out in the country and don't have to deal with it too often.

8. Tim G

Tim G

Surely every city has bad traffic and every big city has homeless, drug and usual ghetto problems doesnt it?

I'm not planning on commuting into the centre every day(i too hate traffic, feels like such a waste of life sitting in traffic!) or spending much time in the ghettos, i would like to go in to see some bands, car meets etc now and then. What attracted me to the area in the first place was the beautiful surrounding countryside and the amount of stuff around(outside Austin) there is to see and do as well as the fact Michelle has family there and of course the better climate than England. As i said at the start of this thread i was interested to know if there was much of a car(the cars we like) scene going on and from the look of the replies there is. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how come you've lived in so many cities Ryan?

9. moter

moter

I grew up in the Central Florida area [Cocoa Beach] Spent ten years in Nashville. I moved here about 8 years ago. I live North of Austin in Hutto. The traffic does suck! But thats anywhere ya go...There is always somethng car/music/entertainment related in and around the Austin area going on every weekend. Cool places to cruise. Great community of hot rodders. I plan staying and would reccomend to anyone to move here.:D and the best bar-b-que anywhere in the country.

10. BLAKE

BLAKE

Maybe I could get someone from Dallas or Houston... you know, someone with money... and ask them to finance my new album... mostly Texas Red Dirt songs about bats and traffic.

11. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

Oh, man, the bat traffic... don't even get me started. (Actually it's good - keeps the insect poulation down.)

12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Traffic sucks for being a small city, mostly due to the lack of connecting major roadways.
    The roads suck, they are narrow, potholes everywhere, but they are getting better.
    Bicyclists are now legal to ride on the roads, and they ride like assholes.
    Homeless are everywhere, easy to avoid.
    Ghetto isn't that ghetto, easy to avoid.
    There's plenty to do no matter what you are into.
    The hot rod scene is good, active, always doing things, and growing.
    The job market sucks, but thats the same anywhere.
    The housing prices are stupid high, but there's good deals to be found.
    Good music scene, obviously, but the big acts usually skip Austin on their tours.
    Good food of all types, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good place to eat.
    It's an easy drive to the hill country, beach, and Dallas/Houston/San Antonio.

13. Tim G

Tim G

Nice summary TH :)

14. RAY With

RAY With

Austin is a town of many cultures and one we really like to go to for car events,fun or just crazy shit like a three hour drive for burgers at the local burger joint. We have made the lone Start Round up three years running and have a hell of a good time and have enjoyed all the friends we have met. Several have posted here about Austin and we all have participated in Toy drives for the kids and benefit fun raisers for local friends in need. Austin is on the move and I say move your ass on to the big A and make your own decision. We have never had a bad time there and the people are great to cruise with or hit the local spots for some good music. As to the traffic-Its every where you go in Texas so deal with it.

15. Dzus

Dzus

The heat's the killer. Move out away from the concrete and it cools off much more at night. Take Siesta's. Actually, if you can flip your days/nights around the weather at night is perfect. My most productive time is after sunset.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i have friends in austin. it's a badass city. it's a lot like portland actually.

17. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Texas is horrible, I would stay away... especially from Houston.
    Austin is the hotrod Mecca now...you gotta ask John Joyo for permission before you move there...he runs that town.

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i hear the football ain't bad either. Don't drink the lone star beer though.

19. Tommy R

Tommy R

Oh yeah, one other thing I haven't seen mentioned. Austin is getting a Forumula 1 race track just southeast of the city in Elroy. Not sure if anyone else around here cares, but being from across the pond I figured there's a better chance you may be interested in that, Tim. I sure am!

Honestly, I've experienced the "bad stuff" people say about Austin in other cities, too (traffic, homeless, ghettos, housing costs, etc.). And simply put, those bad things are very mild compared to most other places and if those are the worst things about Austin, we're in good shape. Austin really does have it pretty damn good. One of our homeless is even a local "celebrity": Leslie the transvestite. Personally, I don't get the fascination, but he's actually run for mayor and, IIRC, he received like 2% of the vote. Don't ask.

Oh, technology is really big here, too. Back in the '90s it was referred to the Silicon Hills due to it's rivalry with the Silicon Valley for the country's technology hot spot. There are still a lot of technology companies here, but a lot of those jobs are now in China, unfortunately.

So yeah...technology geeks, hippies, cowboys, hipsters, college kids, musicians... It really makes for an interesting city. One that I don't plan to leave having moved here in '95.

20. Austin is like every other modern city in the world. There are good things and not so good things. You have to settle in and make adjustments but you'll have to do that regardless of where you move.

I moved to Austin from Houston 18 yrs ago and I'm not going anywhere. Here's my summary after almost 2 decades here:

The heat is what it is. It's hot July-September but you can still do things and live life. I turn a large fan on under the carport at my shop and get a cold drink and I can play with my cars or other projects without it being a big deal. Stay out of the mid day sun and your fine. The trade off is that the winter, spring & fall are mild. I wear shorts nearly year round.

The car scene is plenty strong. Dallas, Houston & San Antonio are 1-4 hours away and there are several events, gatherings & swap meets year round.

The things that make Austin unique are:

The music scene is great if that's your thing. I've grown used to it but I notice most other places don't have anything like it.

The social scene is virtually unlimited and you can get as involved as you like.

The food is incredible and Austin is full of small unique, eclectic restaurants that are individually owned.

You can be yourself and everyone fits in. It's not at all unusual to walk into a place and see college kids, bikers, cowboys, yuppies, hippies, tattooed & untattooed, all hanging out and enjoying themselves.

The economy is a little off but not near like alot of other places.

The real estate and housing market are stable.

Less keeping up with the jones's. If you see a guy on his mountain bike downtown, he could be anyone. College kid, professor, blue collar guy, white collar guy, whatever. He could own a tech company and be worth millions and you wouldn't know it by looking at him.

Go for it. You'll settle in and you won't stick out with your accent. Ha!

-Ron

21. Tim G

Tim G

Plans are afoot to attend Round Up 2011, it'll be my first taster of Austin :)

22. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

Tim G, like your avatar; that was a great year for Chevies. Uh, that is a Chevy isn't it? And what year was that? 39, maybe?

O.K., it's a 40. Why do I like '40 Chevys so much?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  23. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

You won't like it, food is bad, people are mean, too hot. Everyone is leaving. It's a horrible place.....

24. Tim G

Tim G

Yeah that's my 40 deluxe Chevy business coupe, originally a southern Idaho car, i bought it off a guy in Colorado who's father had owned it since he was 15 years old, it was his first car but he'd never actually had it on the road so it hasnt really been used for 40 years plus. it's dry as a bone and very straight. i'll hopefully get it on the road for next spring, I've seen very few cool 40 Chev's, most seem to be 80's custom style with tilt colums, billet and pastel paint. aint the way this ones going to roll!!! :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  25. Hal_396

Hal_396

Now that's my kind of place. Should know Sat or Sun if I'm relocating or stuck up here on the Tundra..

26. hotrod_vixen61

hotrod_vixen61
    from Pittsburgh

I am finding all this info very interesting for myself as well. I have put out many resumes in the area preparing to move there come spring. Good to know.

27. Tim G

Tim G

Glad my thread has been useful to you too, can't imagine many of the guys on here having a problem with you heading to Austin... :)

28. You'll love Austin and the people. Even the rich wear T-shirts and tattered jeans.

Oh and the San Antonio Raceway (dragstrip) is right behind me on I-10 near Seguin, which is another hot rod center of Texas as well. Seguin is an hour or so from Austin.

If you do come to Austin watch out for those coppers on motorcycles.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com

29. peddlr

peddlr

Actualy Bastrop isnt a bad place to live. Still fairly affordable. Easy commute to Austin. Plenty to do. Easy to get to other major cities. We live in the country just east of Bastrop and love it. Taxes here are reasonable (if there is such a thing) pretty countryside very little crime. And only 45 miles from austin.

30. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Might as well, everyone else is playing "follow the leader"